Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Beefing Up iAd Team Ahead of iTunes Radio Launch

Apple has been working to expand its iAd team over the past month, posting job listings for dozens of positions just as the company prepares to launch its iTunes Radio streaming music service, notes Ad Age. Apple's iAd team is handling advertising for the new service and has reportedly already signed up a number of high-profile brands to advertise on the service from its launch.
Quote:
Apple had posted five iAd-related jobs to its own job board and another 35 to LinkedIn just in the month of August as of Friday. The openings are for a variety of jobs including account coordinators, ad design managers, project managers and engineers who will create new rich media ads for iAd.

In addition, Apple appears to be hiring ad execs with creative experience to help brands and agencies create better ads for its expanding iAd advertising network.
The report specifically highlights a creative design manager position intended to bridge account management and user experience functions, and while it says that the mid-August job posting was taken down last week, it appears to have been reposted by Apple last Friday.
Quote:
As a head of the design and creative technology team, the Creative Manager supervises Designers and Creative Technologist and participates in the user experience and design execution of advertising campaigns on the iAd Network. [...]

Working with cross functional teams of engineers and producers, you will be working with our agency partners, defining the best experiences in advertising for the iAd Network while pushing the limits of creative and technical platform. Your ability to be creative and resourceful in problem solving while working effectively with a range of technical backgrounds is extremely important in this position.
According to previous reports, iTunes Radio listeners will be served an audio ad roughly every 15 minutes, with a video ad coming once per hour at times when the user is likely to be looking at his or her device. Subscribers to Apple's $25/year iTunes Match service will be able to listen to iTunes Radio without ads. iTunes Radio will be available only in the United States at its launch alongside iOS 7 later this month, with expansion to other countries coming over time.

Article Link: Apple Beefing Up iAd Team Ahead of iTunes Radio Launch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Is it not a bit rushed/late to be hiring right before the release? I would think you would have wanted to do this 2-3 months ago.
Szarky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Godzilla71
macrumors regular

Looks like i'll finally check into getting itunes match to avoid all that stuff.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

I can see a large majority of the people using iTunes radio getting iTunes match to avoid the ads.
Plutonius is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:22 AM   #5
elvetio
macrumors member

yeah... spotify will do fine thanks
elvetio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:24 AM   #6
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502

Talk about coming full circle.

is the new big media advertiser?

People like internet radio because it is free and has few (skippable) ads. They better do a good job of creating these ads or people will not use iRadio. It does not sound like they are going to be just Audio ads but may have video (visuals) as well.

I guess we are going to hear about the iPaper digital news and magazine product next with Digital Print ads in it.
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Todd B.
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
I can see a large majority of the people using iTunes radio getting iTunes match to avoid the ads.
Why? Spotify's biggest client base comes from the free version which has, you guessed it, ads.
Todd B. is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:28 AM   #8
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Advertisers annoy me. I pay for things, not listen to random ads.
But, normal ads are OK, because not everyone will pay for music.
Targeted ads are never OK and should be eliminated.
I hope that "iAd" isn't another targeted ad scheme.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:30 AM   #9
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

iAd team? Really?
VanillaCracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:31 AM   #10
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Depressing. Can we assume iAds are especially necessary to pay the recording labels to get the iRadio deal done?
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Jzaque
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
I expect it to be relatively few, and I'm thinking Apple does as well. People who are interested in a service like Match (or Google Play Music, etc.) are probably already using one. Although $25 to get rid of ads for a year may indeed be a good deal for anyone who is using iTunes Radio regularly, the "large" upfront payment will be a barrier to entry, much more so than if it were $2-3 monthly.
Jzaque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:43 AM   #12
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Depressing. Can we assume iAds are especially necessary to pay the recording labels to get the iRadio deal done?
Apparently they are necessary to provide music to people without payment. People paying $25 a year for iTunes match get no adverts.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:44 AM   #13
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

I like the iTunes Match idea for $25 per year. It reduces the need to deal with the combined efforts of the iAd team with my $25 donation.
BornAgainMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:59 AM   #14
hauntvictim
macrumors member

When the user is looking at their device?

I dont get it? Does that mean we lok at our device once per hour at the exact time the vidoe ad comes in or have they figured out some algorithm as to when we lookat our device in this per hour cap? I am interested in this.
hauntvictim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:04 PM   #15
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Apparently they are necessary to provide music to people without payment. People paying $25 a year for iTunes match get no adverts.
Yes, that's what I mean. The recording companies must charge Apple a certain amount to stream the music. iAds must cover the people who do not pay for iTunes Match.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

Creative design manager? NOOO...
Can't they just pick a random genius guy from their marketing team who designed the marvellous iOS 7 icons?
Mactendo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:16 PM   #17
lars666
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Yes, that's what I mean. The recording companies must charge Apple a certain amount to stream the music. iAds must cover the people who do not pay for iTunes Match.
Nice addition would be that if you, let's say, buy 10 tracks in the iTunes Store of songs you've discovered via iRadio, you get one month of ad-free. Or something like this, you get the idea. Would serve the purpose for both parties.
lars666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Don't bother. With iTunes Match many of us will never hear them.
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:20 PM   #19
Twimfy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
Don't bother. With iTunes Match many of us will never hear them.
True, we might not but I don't think the general public have warmed to iTunes Match yet. I might be wrong, I'd love to see some sales figures though.

Match is brilliant but it's incredibly difficult to explain the benefits to some people without them falling asleep.
][e 1.023Mhz, 64Kb Ram.
Twimfy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:30 PM   #20
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twimfy View Post
True, we might not but I don't think the general public have warmed to iTunes Match yet. I might be wrong, I'd love to see some sales figures though.

Match is brilliant but it's incredibly difficult to explain the benefits to some people without them falling asleep.
Don't forget the cheaper backup of you iTunes library! Much cheaper than Crashplan or mozy!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:32 PM   #21
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactendo View Post
Creative design manager? NOOO...
Can't they just pick a random genius guy from their marketing team who designed the marvellous iOS 7 icons?
They would, but he can't do it. While presenting to Cook, Cook stopped rocking in his chair entirely and the presenter fell down grabbing his throat. Something about "You have failed me for the last time" or something....
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:35 PM   #22
numlock
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
arent the users the product though then?
numlock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:43 PM   #23
forthelove
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntvictim View Post
I dont get it? Does that mean we lok at our device once per hour at the exact time the vidoe ad comes in or have they figured out some algorithm as to when we lookat our device in this per hour cap? I am interested in this.
Accelerometer senses movement after a long period of inactivity
forthelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 01:00 PM   #24
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
They would, but he can't do it. While presenting to Cook, Cook stopped rocking in his chair entirely and the presenter fell down grabbing his throat. Something about "You have failed me for the last time" or something....
Hahah, I'm glad other people read that article also. Too funny
VanillaCracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 01:11 PM   #25
markcres
macrumors regular

Apple .... please stop investing so much effort in squeezing every last penny out of your customers - especially during a recession. When is the next Jony Ive going to come along? Invest in new blood and new creative staff - not for crap like iAd...but innovation in new exciting products and technology. All you do is bump up specs of existing products and hire people for court battles and advertising...Steve would not be happy with the direction you are going.
markcres is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion