Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Sourcing Components for 17-Watt Power Supply, Speculation Focuses on Rumored 13-Inch iPad

Apple is developing a 17-watt power adapter for an unknown product, reports AppleInsider. At 17 watts, the adapter uses slightly more power than the current iPad (12 watts) but significantly less than the MacBook Air (45 watts). It also uses more power than the iPhone or the Apple TV, which ship with 5-watt and 6-watt adapters, respectively.
Quote:
People familiar with the matter say Apple just recently began the process of procuring low-cost components for the new 17-watt adapter. And while the exact nature of its parent product remains somewhat of an unknown, at least one person familiar with adapter's design believes existing evidence points to be a portable product which could launch within the next 12 months.

It's also said that the new 17-watt adapter is not intended as an upgrade to an existing Apple product line, such as the anticipated fifth-generation iPad. That device is instead expected to ship with the same 12-watt adapter.
Though a 17-watt adapter could presumably be used for any number of Apple products including the existing iPad, its minor increase in wattage could hint at a larger iPad. With a 5-watt adapter for the iPhone and a 12-watt adapter for the 9.7-inch iPad, 17 watts is at the right size to power a potential 13-inch iPad.

Concept rendering of the 13-inch iPad
News of a larger "iPad Maxi" first surfaced in May, and was followed up by a report from The Wall Street Journal suggesting Apple and its suppliers were testing larger screens for both the iPad and the iPhone. The larger iPad reportedly measures slightly less than 13 inches diagonally.

The iPads in question were prototypes, however, and Apple produces and tests a wide range of products that never make it to market. It is unclear if the company will release a larger iPad to the public, but such an iPad would be similar in size to a MacBook Air.

There is no indication that Apple has plans to release a 13-inch iPad in the near future, but the company is gearing up to launch both a Retina iPad mini and a fifth-generation iPad with slimmer bevels and a thinner design later this year.

Article Link: Apple Sourcing Components for 17-Watt Power Supply, Speculation Focuses on Rumored 13-Inch iPad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Sky Blue

Maxi Pad

lol
Sky Blue is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:36 AM   #3
DaveN
macrumors 6502

So much computing power for so little electrical power...
DaveN is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:38 AM   #4
campingsk8er
macrumors 6502

I feel that the reason for a so called 13-inch iPad would be for those people who truly want to drop a laptop altogether and just have an iPad or other tablet, but don't want to sacrifice screen size.
campingsk8er is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:38 AM   #5
cube
macrumors G3

I guess 28nm will do, given that it's not obvious 20nm would be better.

But it should have a new version of Lightning with quality video out.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:38 AM   #6
powerslave12r
macrumors 6502

Speculation of a direct corelation between screen size and power draw makes very little sense.

Although the 13" rumor could be true, in all likelihood the adaptor has been beefed up to perhaps decrease charging times on the newer ipads (including the fabled ipad mini retina).

Last edited by powerslave12r; Sep 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: decrease is not increase
powerslave12r is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Can't wait to shoot with that one on a concert.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:40 AM   #8
the411
macrumors newbie

the twist is that the 13 inch iPad will run OS X.
the411 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:40 AM   #9
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingsk8er View Post
I feel that the reason for a so called 13-inch iPad would be for those people who truly want to drop a laptop altogether and just have an iPad or other tablet, but don't want to sacrifice screen size.
Wrong.
cube is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:43 AM   #10
musika
macrumors 65816

This could be huge for music production and probably many other arts.

No pun intended.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:45 AM   #11
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
seems very useful from what i have read a while back with photographers etc

will have this under watch
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:46 AM   #12
TheKrs1
macrumors 6502

Am I the only one that thinks this might just be in an effort to decrease charging times?
TheKrs1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:47 AM   #13
cube
macrumors G3

The main reason for this to exist is to read PDFs.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:49 AM   #14
CodexMonkey
macrumors member

Im really looking forward to the much-rumoured larger iPad from Apple.

Id like it to be approximately 50" in diagonal width and come with a stand so that I could sit it in the corner of my living room, plug it into the wall and watch TV/movies or play games on it.

And if they could maybe create some kind of wristwear that I could control it with that would be even better.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:53 AM   #15
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Maxi Pad

lol
Seriously.... anybody who thinks that Apple marketing folks would name it the "iPad Maxi" is delusional. It should be dubbed the "iPad Mega" or "iPad XL".

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
The main reason for this to exist is to read PDFs.
Artists and those working on movie editing are going to want a larger iPad. Not so much for PDFs (though it would be great for reading magazines).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodexMonkey View Post
Im really looking forward to the much-rumoured larger iPad from Apple.

Id like it to be approximately 50" in diagonal width and come with a stand so that I could sit it in the corner of my living room, plug it into the wall and watch TV/movies or play games on it.

And if they could maybe create some kind of wristwear that I could control it with that would be even better.
I see what you did there.
BC2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:54 AM   #16
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2009 View Post
Artists and those working on movie editing are going to want a larger iPad. Not so much for PDFs (though it would be great for reading magazines).
Yes, but there are more people reading PDFs.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:04 PM   #17
DotCom2
macrumors 68000

OMG! Yes Apple, PLEASE?
DotCom2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:06 PM   #18
newdeal
macrumors 68000

I wouldnt mind an ipad of the same dimensions as the existing one but with a thin bezel all around to make the screen larger
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:07 PM   #19
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

I would definitely buy a 13" iPad if they made one. Hopefully that's one of their 2014 launch products. Maybe in March/April like they did with the first iPad.
Shaun, UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:07 PM   #20
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

I'd be surprised to see a 13" iPad. I'm sure there are a lot of good use cases as stated above. But the same thing can be said for the 17" MacBook Pro.

IMO a 13" iPad would be a low selling niche item for geeks and vertical markets.
ValSalva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:08 PM   #21
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I guess 28nm will do, given that it's not obvious 20nm would be better.

But it should have a new version of Lightning with quality video out.
20nm won't be ready until 2014.

17W makes sense. USB 2.0/3.0 spec limit max charging current to 5A. Battery at 3.8V gives you 19W.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:11 PM   #22
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by the411 View Post
the twist is that the 13 inch iPad will run OS X.
Why would they do that? They are moving away from OSX towards iOS as their primary OS. Just look how many more apps there are for iOS. Putting OSX on the iPad would just confuse everyone like Microsoft did with the Surface. Keep it simple. iOS on iPad and OSX on Mac.
Shaun, UK is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:13 PM   #23
mcalict
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2009 View Post
Seriously.... anybody who thinks that Apple marketing folks would name it the "iPad Maxi" is delusional. It should be dubbed the "iPad Mega" or "iPad XL".[COLOR="#808080"]
No, iPad Pro.
mcalict is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:13 PM   #24
tommyminahan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
At 17 watts, the adapter uses slightly more power than the current iPad (12 watts) but significantly less than the MacBook Air (45 watts). It also uses more power than the iPhone or the Apple TV, which ship with 5-watt and 6-watt adapters, respectively.
AppleTV's ship with power adapters now?

Go home MacRumors, you are drunk.
tommyminahan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:14 PM   #25
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyminahan View Post
AppleTV's ship with power adapters now?

Go home MacRumors, you are drunk.
The cord is still a power adapter with a current/power rating, even if the PSU is internal.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion