Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jawbone today announced its third portable Bluetooth speaker, the Mini Jambox. Designed to complement the existing Jambox and the Big Jambox, the Mini Jambox is similar in size to the standard Jambox, but thin enough to slip into a pocket.

The Mini Jambox is 0.96 inches wide, 2.28 inches tall, 6.06 inches long, and it weighs nine ounces. In comparison, the original Jambox is more than an inch and a half wide and weighs 12 ounces.

minijambox.jpg
Like the Jambox, the Mini Jambox has a 10 hour battery life, Bluetooth 4.0, and the same sound quality. It features a unibody design and will come in nine different colors ranging from red to purple.

With the launch of the Mini Jambox, Jawbone also plans to debut a new iOS app that is designed to function as an all-in-one music source, combining playlists from apps like Rdio, Spotify, and iTunes. It also allows users to customize Jambox audio settings.

The Mini Jambox is currently available for pre-order on the Jawbone website for $180 and will begin shipping in late September.

Article Link: Jawbone Debuts Thinner 'Mini Jambox' for $180

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Very cool on the ios app as I sit here working listening to LA Woman (Doors) on my original Jambox. To be able to control playlists & settings on the Jambox via the app instead of being forced to go to Jawbone's site is a huge win.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Pretty impressive

I have both of the previous models.
To think that the new smaller one has even better & louder sound than the original model while still having 10 hours of battery life is impressive.

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Lies

"Like the Jambox, the Mini Jambox has a 10 hour battery life, Bluetooth 4.0, and the same sound quality. "

I'm not an acoustic engineer or anything, but I doubt it really does have the same quality what with it being so tiny, and if it does, then why bother with the big one at all?

Is the big one just the Mini Jambox inside a big empty box then?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
"Like the Jambox, the Mini Jambox has a 10 hour battery life, Bluetooth 4.0, and the same sound quality. "

I'm not an acoustic engineer or anything, but I doubt it really does have the same quality what with it being so tiny, and if it does, then why bother with the big one at all?

The mini one was released after the actual Jambox. The strange thing about technology is that it evolves; much like a paper-thin laptop can have the same power as a desktop from yester-year, a small Jambox can indeed pack the same quality as its larger predecessor.

ChristIsLORD

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
I have a Jambox and love it but don't understand why they are keeping the original model if the new one is just the guts of the original in a smaller package. Doesn't this render the original pointless?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I have a Jambox and love it but don't understand why they are keeping the original model if the new one is just the guts of the original in a smaller package. Doesn't this render the original pointless?

The original has the problem of bouncing around on bass-heavy music. This is somewhat mitigated by the heft of the Big Jambox, but I can see it actually being worse on the Mini.

bugout

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
is everything!
The mini one was released after the actual Jambox. The strange thing about technology is that it evolves; much like a paper-thin laptop can have the same power as a desktop from yester-year, a small Jambox can indeed pack the same quality as its larger predecessor.

I seriously hope you're kidding.

The laws of physics don't evolve like that...

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Is this reality?

Why are they selling both big and small jam box for the same price then?

https://jawbone.com/speakers

Are you really digging the whole little jam box is as awesome as big jam box because technology evolved story?

----------

Nice snarky comment.
You may not think Bose products sound very good, but you have to agree they don't look like Lego.
Sound quality is very subjective, which is why there is room for so many products...

Compared to what exactly? I'm sure you can buy as many different kinds of Can Openers, or Microwaves, or Vaccuum cleaners, as you can bluetooth speakers.
Is cooking a Lasagna or the quality of opening a tin of beans also 'very subjective' ?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I have an original jam box that I got for $119 during an amazon Black Friday sale and that's literally the only reason I got it. $199 is too expensive and $179 for this one is too much too

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
That's about $100 too much. Especially considering the regular jambox is already $50 too much. The Big jambox is a decent buy though

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
The UE Boom is $199 and has a 12 hr battery life, water resistant, has a far more attractive design. All this with sound quality that comes close to the $300 Big Jambox. Definitely worth the $20 extra over the Mini Jambox. Now that they shrunk it, I can only imagine the audio quality got worse. Listen to both in the stores...

I LOVE my UE Boom - it goes everywhere with me. Can listen to it in the shower, out on the deck, in the kitchen. It fits nicely in the drink holders in my car. I even used it for awhile as an external speaker for my MBA until I got a pair of BT Audyssey speakers.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

I agree.

The original is just not loud enough. The big is plenty loud but over priced.
I suspect the mini will be worse than the original and no where near the quality of the big.

Jambox would do so much better if they significantly lowered their price points.

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Nice snarky comment.
You may not think Bose products sound very good, but you have to agree they don't look like Lego.
Sound quality is very subjective, which is why there is room for so many products...

I think that at the price points / quality we are talking about, sound quality is not that subjective.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Any point that you were trying to make was immediately invalidated by that line.

Obviously you haven't heard the Bose Soundlink Mini (which is what the previous poster was referring to). I brought a Jambox to a Bose retail store and did a head-to-head - it was no comparison and I bought the Soundlink Mini on the spot. I agree that Bose gets a bad rap that is mostly justified - but you are wrong on this one example.

As for the Mini Jambox, this is just a repackaged Foxl DASH 7 (like the Jambox is a repackaged Foxl v2). Although it would be expensive, the killer application here would be true stereo Bluetooth, where you buy two Mini Jamboxes and use one as the left channel and one as the right channel. Given how small they are, you would get better sound and true stereo separation in a total package as big as the original Jambox. Unfortunately, I emailed Foxl when the DASH 7 was announced - and the response was that it only would fit in "bigger speakers". Which is BS, because the technology is software based...

http://www.csr.com/products/33/truewireless-stereo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.