Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 4, 2013, 04:42 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Video Compares Second-Generation iPad Mini Shell to iPad 5, Current Mini

A new video comparing the purported shell of the second-generation iPad mini to the existing iPad mini and the upcoming fifth-generation iPad has surfaced on YouTube. Shared by Unbox Therapy, the shell, which has been previously seen in photos, has a form factor that is nearly identical to the existing iPad mini.

The only difference between the two shells is the mirrored silver Apple logo on the back of the second-generation mini, which is similar to the mirrored finish seen on prototype fifth-generation iPads shells. The current white and silver iPad mini has a black Apple logo.

While the next iPad mini will not feature any design changes, it is expected to be a major upgrade to the existing iPad mini due to the inclusion of a much-desired Retina screen.

The video also provides a comparison of the mini shell alongside a fifth-generation iPad shell, giving a clear look at the mini-style redesign of the next full-sized iPad. The fifth-generation iPad appears to be as thin as the iPad mini, and the size difference between the two tablets is smaller, with the iPad mini measuring in at 20cm in height and the fifth-generation iPad measuring 24cm tall.

Apple's fifth-generation iPad has been long rumored to share multiple visual cues with the iPad mini, featuring a rounded shell, narrower side bezels, and a more compact design. Apple is expected to unveil both the second-generation iPad mini and the fifth-generation iPad later this year.

Article Link: Video Compares Second-Generation iPad Mini Shell to iPad 5, Current Mini
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Jimrod
macrumors 6502a

Seen this somewhere before... About 3 hours ago... :|
Jimrod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 04:47 PM   #3
AT06
macrumors 6502

Honestly, this is no longer news. Nor rumors. Just the reporting of facts due to the plethora of leaks.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 04:50 PM   #4
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Really looking forward to upgrading from my iPad 2 if the mini has a retina display. And no brainer purchase for me if it comes in at the same price.
newagemac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

This apple event will be so boring. "Stop me if you've already seen this"
Bathplug is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Ichabod.
macrumors member

Wow, I hadn't realized that it would be the same thickness as the mini.

Very sleek.
Ichabod. is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 04:54 PM   #7
elev8d
macrumors regular

I think i'm gonna get one
iPhone4
elev8d is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 04:56 PM   #8
sparky1499
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichabod. View Post
Wow, I hadn't realized that it would be the same thickness as the mini.

Very sleek.
Perhaps non-retina?

----------

Oh, and here's the new ipad mini back plate. Same as the first ipad mini back plate...
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:01 PM   #9
Derekeys
macrumors member

Larger iPad?

Still hoping for a larger iPad here. I am aware it most likely will not happen, but it would be an amazing thing for musicians to read sheet music on a screen which could match scaled paper.

The fact that the mini and full size are the same thickness is pretty sweet.

Braggadocious Apple Products Go Here
Derekeys is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:01 PM   #10
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

I am doubling down on secrecy.
appleisking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:02 PM   #11
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathplug View Post
No kidding, eventually people will stop caring if they never update a form factor.
winston1236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:03 PM   #12
DShap5
macrumors 6502a

Wow. Its.... the same thing as the current one.... craaaazy.
DShap5 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:07 PM   #13
Radio
In Time-Out

And who said apple can't innovate ?!

They cut off the sides!!!!

Next year they'll cut off a little bit off the top..

Then next year a bit off the bottom..
Radio is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:09 PM   #14
musser
macrumors member

tedium

Gosh, all this incremental reporting about stuff that no one cares about is getting really tedious. I very much doubt that many of us really care about such nuances. When I think about the state of this world and how so many of us are struggling just to get by, I find all of this so odious and downright silly.
musser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:13 PM   #15
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Samsun memory card huh
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:15 PM   #16
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by musser View Post
Gosh, all this incremental reporting about stuff that no one cares about is getting really tedious. I very much doubt that many of us really care about such nuances. When I think about the state of this world and how so many of us are struggling just to get by, I find all of this so odious and downright silly.
Well you are on an Apple news sight, so this is not stopping any time soon. Just deal with it.

And besides, just ignore the post if you don't have any interest in it. That would be the practical thing to do.
JayCee842 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:17 PM   #17
mj1108
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathplug View Post
Funnier will be the people who will say "This is boring. Why didn't Apple show us anything new?".
mj1108 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:21 PM   #18
micropig
macrumors newbie

Read the closed captions at 1:34.
micropig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:22 PM   #19
lobbyist
macrumors member

Give it up for the metric system!
lobbyist is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:23 PM   #20
MyRomeo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The only difference between the two shells is the mirrored silver Apple logo on the back of the second-generation mini, which is similar to the mirrored finish seen on prototype fifth-generation iPads shells. The current white and silver iPad mini has a black Apple logo.
Confused, my current white and silver (model A1432) ipad mini has a mirrored silver apple logo on the back...
MyRomeo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:30 PM   #21
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

So this video basically shows there won't be a retina :O

No change in dimensions. Isn't the iPad 4 thicker than iPad 3 because of the retina?
VanillaCracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:38 PM   #22
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCracker View Post
So this video basically shows there won't be a retina :O

No change in dimensions. Isn't the iPad 4 thicker than iPad 3 because of the retina?
No, the iPad 3 was slightly thicker than the 2. The 4 is the same size as the 3. Given that the new back plate for the 5 is the same thickness as the Mini, it is not unreasonable to assume that the retina display tech can fit in a Mini shell. The issue then becomes battery size.

When WSJ said that the Mini would have a retina display a few months ago, that should've been everyone's clue here that it will have one. WSJ = Apple mouthpiece.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:40 PM   #23
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816

the only thing this shows to me is that the full size ipad being the same thickness and still having retina they will no doubt have retina in the mini. No longer will thickness be a factor like i believe they said with the mini being too thin for retina. igzo displays?
x-evil-x is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:46 PM   #24
GreatDrok
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Article Link: Video Compares Second-Generation iPad Mini Shell to iPad 5, Current Mini
Looks at back of white iPad mini sitting on my desk - nope, no black apple, it is mirrored silver on the 1st gen iPad mini.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 05:47 PM   #25
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
No, the iPad 3 was slightly thicker than the 2. The 4 is the same size as the 3. Given that the new back plate for the 5 is the same thickness as the Mini, it is not unreasonable to assume that the retina display tech can fit in a Mini shell. The issue then becomes battery size.

When WSJ said that the Mini would have a retina display a few months ago, that should've been everyone's clue here that it will have one. WSJ = Apple mouthpiece.
Anandtech says the new Nexus 7 gets 12 hrs battery life. I would assume is Asus can do it so can Apple.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion