Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
California
I have a 2012 rMBP and using two external LED Cinema displays. When I use both external displays in clamshell mode, I put the computer to sleep and disconnect the external monitors.
When I wake from sleep with just the laptop screen, I only see a black screen. I see a slight flash of the wallpaper and login window, but then it's just black. I can type in my password and then the laptop screen comes on and back to normal.

Has anyone seen this?

BTW, it works just fine when I'm only using one external display and I have no issues going from laptop screen to dual external displays, only from dual external displays to the laptop screen.

I've already done a NVRAM and SMC reset. I've deleted the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist file, anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Areos

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
I have a 2012 rMBP and using two external LED Cinema displays. When I use both external displays in clamshell mode, I put the computer to sleep and disconnect the external monitors.
When I wake from sleep with just the laptop screen, I only see a black screen. I see a slight flash of the wallpaper and login window, but then it's just black. I can type in my password and then the laptop screen comes on and back to normal.

Has anyone seen this?

BTW, it works just fine when I'm only using one external display and I have no issues going from laptop screen to dual external displays, only from dual external displays to the laptop screen.

I've already done a NVRAM and SMC reset. I've deleted the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist file, anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks.

I have the same issue with a 2012 MacbookPro non retina with Mavs DP7
this is the console massage

14/09/13 00:50:11.477 WindowServer[104]: CGXDisplayDidWakeNotification [1232864223530]: posting kCGSDisplayDidWake
14/09/13 00:50:11.478 WindowServer[104]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: Reordering authw 0x7f847ac2eba0(2000) (lock state: 3)
14/09/13 00:50:11.478 WindowServer[104]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: err 0x0

Can You check your console to see if the same messages are there??

Scottland

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Having similar issues here, in face I've been having sleep/external monitor issues since DP4.

I have a late 2012 Mini, with 2 displays - waking from sleep often only wakes up the 2nd monitor (HDMI). I do find though that turning the displays off before waking the machine works fine, it only appears to be problematic when the displays are on beforehand.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
California
Yes, those are the same console logs I get every time I wake from sleep.

Apple did respond that it is a duplicate big so I assume that they are aware of it. Hopefully will get addressed in the next release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.