Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Stef4n
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Exclamation BMW vs. Mac Air! The result...

I unintentionally made a small "test" last week.

The actors:

Macbook Air (2012), 8gb Ram, 128gb acting as the Notebook and a BMW 3er Gran Turismo acting as the car.

The story:

I parked my car, took out my bag where my macbook air was in from the back of my car and during I did that I got a call on my phone. I left the bag next to the car and had a 15 minute talk in the car. During the conversation I saw someone parking out on a nice shadow spot. So I decided to park there. I parked, went out of my car, went to the back of the car and didn't find my bag. I quite quickly released that I left it next to the car and went back with already a little "bad" feeling. Finally at my old parking spot I saw my bagpack. The 4 apples (fruits) I took were fine, the two glass bottles of water were fine, but my macbook air looked like (see attached).

What got damage:

Well the Macbook Air is still working fine. Just the screen and the whole case is broken. The "right" click on the trackpad is not really working. Still I can load it, turn it on an off, even games are running.

My problem:

What should I do? Tomorrow I have an appointment in an official apple store, but I guess changing the case and the screen is at least 700 + I have the risk that something else might be twisted or broken. I already asked an employer without having an appointment and he just said, "no change" but he was just a normal seller.


Looking forward your advices, what else could be broken? For how much could I sell the broken one? Would you repair it?

Assumption: 1$ = 1 (Apple's exchange rate...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	431694   Click image for larger version

Name:	image(1).jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	431695   Click image for larger version

Name:	image(2).jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	431696  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image(3).jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	431697  
Stef4n is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Nukemkb
macrumors 6502a
 
Nukemkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Looks like 'modern art' now! Let us know what the store says...
__________________
The trouble with real life is that there's no danger music.
Nukemkb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:16 PM   #3
TheSponge
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
By the time this thing looks like new again it's going to be the price of a brand new laptop currently from the Apple Store..

You might be at a loss here and just have to part that thing out..
TheSponge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Hustler1337
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London, UK
How did the damage happen? Did you run over your MBA or did it drop from you car or something else?
__________________
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7>> iPhone 4 16GB>>> iPhone 5S 32GB Space Grey
Hustler1337 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Stef4n
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler1337 View Post
How did the damage happen? Did you run over your MBA or did it drop from you car or something else?

I don't really know. I was driving over it with my frontwheel, that's for sure. Still it was in this rucksack (http://www.funktionelles.de/Wintersp...FUJa3godkl8A5g) with a lot of other stuff.

Nothing else broke, except of my Air.
Stef4n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:54 PM   #6
AXs
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
People are so inattentive these days. Too many distractions and can't keep focus. No wonder rates of ADD diagnosis have shot up majorly.

Just today another guy posted that he tried to walk to the fridge or something and didn't realize that his earphones were plugged into his macbook and ended up dropping it while walking away.

Stop being so absent minded. Focus!
AXs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Apple fanboy
macrumors 601
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef4n View Post
I unintentionally made a small "test" last week.

The actors:

Macbook Air (2012), 8gb Ram, 128gb acting as the Notebook and a BMW 3er Gran Turismo acting as the car.

The story:

I parked my car, took out my bag where my macbook air was in from the back of my car and during I did that I got a call on my phone. I left the bag next to the car and had a 15 minute talk in the car. During the conversation I saw someone parking out on a nice shadow spot. So I decided to park there. I parked, went out of my car, went to the back of the car and didn't find my bag. I quite quickly released that I left it next to the car and went back with already a little "bad" feeling. Finally at my old parking spot I saw my bagpack. The 4 apples (fruits) I took were fine, the two glass bottles of water were fine, but my macbook air looked like (see attached).

What got damage:

Well the Macbook Air is still working fine. Just the screen and the whole case is broken. The "right" click on the trackpad is not really working. Still I can load it, turn it on an off, even games are running.

My problem:

What should I do? Tomorrow I have an appointment in an official apple store, but I guess changing the case and the screen is at least 700 + I have the risk that something else might be twisted or broken. I already asked an employer without having an appointment and he just said, "no change" but he was just a normal seller.


Looking forward your advices, what else could be broken? For how much could I sell the broken one? Would you repair it?

Assumption: 1$ = 1 (Apple's exchange rate...)
Surprised it works at all. Good luck tomorrow.
__________________
Late 2012 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5, ITB FD, 16G RAM, 2 TB TC, iPhone 5 32GB, iPad Air 32G, iPad 4 32G, iPad 2 16G, ATV2, iPod touch 8G, Xbox 360 Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 24-70 14-24 60 10.5 mm (all 2.8)
Apple fanboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:58 PM   #8
nateo200
macrumors 68020
 
nateo200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rendering......
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXs View Post
People are so inattentive these days. Too many distractions and can't keep focus. No wonder rates of ADD diagnosis have shot up majorly.

Just today another guy posted that he tried to walk to the fridge or something and didn't realize that his earphones were plugged into his macbook and ended up dropping it while walking away.

Stop being so absent minded. Focus!
Lol I saw that thread as well...before I get up I make sure everything on my rMBP is unplugged and if it isn't I carefully assess how to move my legs up and slowly and carefully move my laptop. Still I wouldn't be in such a hurry to judge. We all screw up sometimes I just hope that with $2000 on your lap you treat the damn thing better than a new born baby!
__________________
-15" rMBP 2.4/8/256/650M, FCP X, AE CS5.5, PS CS6
-USB3 180GB SSD, Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt
-iPhone 5c 32GB Blue and Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
-Canon 550D, GoPro3 Black
nateo200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Well, don't you guys across the pond have some kind of consumer protection for instances like these? God knows you have it for everything else.
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Stef4n
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I am sure, that this won't happen again in my life. Cause of all the NSA revelations I cancelled all my US/GB based cloud services. So my last backup was three weeks old. Luckily the SSD survived.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Well, don't you guys across the pond have some kind of consumer protection for instances like these? God knows you have it for everything else.
Haha, yes kind of . I have to admit that I and most Western Europeans are "over"insured. Unfortunatly it happend while I was using a car and the compulsury car insurance is only paying damages I did to other people.
Stef4n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:44 PM   #11
butch10x
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
It sux that this happened. But srsly, why people post how careless and inattentive they are is beyond me.
__________________
2010 3.2 Quad Core Mac Pro, 12GB OWC Ram, 27" NEC /calibrated
http://500px.com/butch10x
www.bpatelphoto.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/butch10x/
butch10x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Stef4n
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by butch10x View Post
It sux that this happened. But srsly, why people post how careless and inattentive they are is beyond me.
For me it's about making an informed decision and thus reducing financial loss. Giving technological advanced people more information leads to better estimations of them and helps me consequently more.
Stef4n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:33 PM   #13
AXs
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef4n View Post
For me it's about making an informed decision and thus reducing financial loss. Giving technological advanced people more information leads to better estimations of them and helps me consequently more.
What? You made an informed decision regarding what exactly? Whether you should fix it? or how much it should cost?

Good for you if you can find someone on these forums who's willing to quote you on fixing your machine, but it's really going to come down to what the Apple mech team says, and what they quote you.

But here's a note for you to make future informed decision - please don't be so absent minded and drive over your $2,000 laptop... and financial losses will be reduced immediately

Jokes aside, in order to make an informed decision you must first evaluate your situation. No one on the internet looking at pictures is going to be able to tell you the full extent of what's wrong.

You say "it works fine" but from the pictures, it looks like you may need a new logic board... which means new CPU, new RAM... Your screen is broken = new screen, your shell is cracked, so new aluminum shell.... if trackpad isn't working then new trackpad.

if your logic board can be saved, you might as well go through with the repairs. But if it's bent, or cracked... you're gonna want to sell it for scraps and get a new machine as fixing it would cost more.

Again, only Team Apple will be able to tell you accurately. Be patient. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
AXs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Stef4n
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXs View Post
What? You made an informed decision regarding what exactly? Whether you should fix it? or how much it should cost?

Good for you if you can find someone on these forums who's willing to quote you on fixing your machine, but it's really going to come down to what the Apple mech team says, and what they quote you.

But here's a note for you to make future informed decision - please don't be so absent minded and drive over your $2,000 laptop... and financial losses will be reduced immediately

Jokes aside, in order to make an informed decision you must first evaluate your situation. No one on the internet looking at pictures is going to be able to tell you the full extent of what's wrong.

You say "it works fine" but from the pictures, it looks like you may need a new logic board... which means new CPU, new RAM... Your screen is broken = new screen, your shell is cracked, so new aluminum shell.... if trackpad isn't working then new trackpad.

if your logic board can be saved, you might as well go through with the repairs. But if it's bent, or cracked... you're gonna want to sell it for scraps and get a new machine as fixing it would cost more.

Again, only Team Apple will be able to tell you accurately. Be patient. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
Ok thanks, so I can just hope that the logic board is not bent. Except of the case, the screen, the keyboard and the trackpad, everything else is fine I guess. In 9 hours I will know more.
Stef4n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:07 PM   #15
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXs View Post
Jokes aside, in order to make an informed decision you must first evaluate your situation. No one on the internet looking at pictures is going to be able to tell you the full extent of what's wrong.
While true, it's still potentially valuable to ask around if others had a similar situation. We can ridicule the OP, but he's not the first and certainly won't be the last person to accidentally run over his expensive laptop with a car. These things happen. And if perhaps someone else on this forum had a similar experience prior, that person might be able to share whether Apple was even remotely able to repair the damage. If so, perhaps it's worth a shot to take it in. If not, he may want to cut his losses now.

And in any case, it's both curiosity-satisfying (so THIS is what a run-over MacBook Air looks like!) and informative (apparently, an SSD-equipped laptop can still function after some physical mangling).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef4n View Post
Ok thanks, so I can just hope that the logic board is not bent. Except of the case, the screen, the keyboard and the trackpad, everything else is fine I guess. In 9 hours I will know more.
Please keep us posted. It'll be interesting to see what they say about this.

Photos of the Apple Genius' face when s/he first sees it might also prove interesting.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:17 PM   #16
Jesla
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee USA
You drove over a bag of fruit, water and a laptop without notice?…..
__________________
iMac/rMBP/MBA/
iPhone 5s/iPhone 4s/iPhone 3Gs
iPod Touch/iPad 4/iPad Mini/
TC/TV/APX
Jesla is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:27 PM   #17
bkribbs
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Geez everyone. Take it easy on the guy. Please tell me you haven't ever made a mistake. His, unfortunately was a rather expensive one, but still. Just a mistake. And I can almost promise it won't happen to him again!

Unfortunately man, that thing is probably a goner.

Case needs replaced, display needs replaced, and if the logic board needs replaced, you're literally just about having them replace everything.

I'm not sure if its built like the rMBP or not where the keyboard and mouse are built into the case, but if so, the only part that doesn't need replaced is the SSD.

Very unfortunate day, but that's pretty much my guess.
bkribbs is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:40 PM   #18
siberiansun
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Hallo Stefan

You can sell it if you want, or maybe I can fix it, I have some spare parts here, if your logic board is fine it's worth a try to combine it with a water damaged MacBook Air

You are from Germany, right?
siberiansun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:55 PM   #19
jdechko
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkribbs View Post
Geez everyone. Take it easy on the guy. Please tell me you haven't ever made a mistake. His, unfortunately was a rather expensive one, but still. Just a mistake. And I can almost promise it won't happen to him again!
Apparently no one in this thread has had some screaming kids to deal with while loading up the car.

Accidents happen. That's why they're called accidents.

I purchased a used PB'15 in 2011 and backed over it, and my wife's 13" MBP with the car about 2 weeks later. The PB was pretty mashed up, cracked the LCD and bent the superdrive, but still worked. The glass on the Pro cracked, but I was able to get a replacement.
jdechko is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 06:07 PM   #20
siberiansun
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Somehow reminds me of the German comedian who's wife ran over his MBA and afterwards telling him that its not faulty because its still turning on...
http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=ga0LDfOINpc
siberiansun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 08:02 PM   #21
mizaco
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Now what you need is an Audi...
mizaco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 08:39 PM   #22
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
That'll buff right out...
TheRealDamager is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:16 AM   #23
Stef4n
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Please keep us posted. It'll be interesting to see what they say about this.

Photos of the Apple Genius' face when s/he first sees it might also prove interesting.
Just came back from the apple store. Well I didn't take a photo but his face expression spoke for itself , also the second guy's expression plus a "ohh, that doesn't look good" wasn't that good either. Both were even more surprised when they made some small tests and everything was working perfectly. (no delays etc.) Still he said to remove several parts like the frontcover, backcover, screen, keyboard (little bent) and he suggested also to change the logic board since it "could" be a little bent, too. However he couldn't finally say it. All in all 903€ + VAT (19% in Germany) Consequently it's not an option. Still I was surprised by the quality of service.

I asked him how high the probability of success is if I would insert the parts in a water damaged Air. And he said that it should work, but it is in 95% of the cases the keyboard which is broken first. Of course depending where the water entered.

I was also asking about their opinion when they expect the new rMBP to be released and they both said very confident I should wait to the 10th of September for a possible announcement since they are "overdue". Still "they don't know more than me".

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberiansun View Post
Hallo Stefan

You can sell it if you want, or maybe I can fix it, I have some spare parts here, if your logic board is fine it's worth a try to combine it with a water damaged MacBook Air

You are from Germany, right?
Yes I am, where are you from? I from Munich, so if you live close, why not.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizaco View Post
Now what you need is an Audi...
I am from Munich. That's like saying to a guy in Cupertino, now what you need is a windows vista copy!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesla View Post
You drove over a bag of fruit, water and a laptop without notice?…..
Since everthing else is fine, I guess I "touched" it. And you don't feel (or at least I didn't feel) an additional 3cm (squeezed together) on a stone parking slot from the 16-18th century.

----------

No New Yorkers here who want to buy it for 500$ or more? I have to play out "the Art" option now

Last edited by Stef4n; Sep 6, 2013 at 02:47 AM.
Stef4n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 03:48 AM   #24
tuna9720
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Let me tell you this. Back up all of your data from your cracked machine while you can. And then, find a friend who can buy you an MBA from US for $1100+tax and forget about all the headaches of what to dos and how to dos..

I don't know what exchange rates you're talking about but 1 is NOT = $1. Roughly it will cost you a 900 for a brand new, shiny, latest, all day battery MBA..

Use your efforts for that..
tuna9720 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 04:33 AM   #25
Stef4n
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna9720 View Post
Let me tell you this. Back up all of your data from your cracked machine while you can. And then, find a friend who can buy you an MBA from US for $1100+tax and forget about all the headaches of what to dos and how to dos..

I don't know what exchange rates you're talking about but 1 is NOT = $1. Roughly it will cost you a 900 for a brand new, shiny, latest, all day battery MBA..

Use your efforts for that..
Unfortunatly this is the Apple pricing translation.
You guys pay 1499$, we have to pay 1499, which is 1968,33$, which is more than 30% more for the same product!

Still I won't be in the States within the next 6 month and if someone would send it to me the chance is over 90% that I would have to pay VAT + customs, cause they check it. 19% VAT + 10-15% customs on top > 30%. Then I have to get an adapter for my charger + have a US keyboard.

It's not so easy, there are enough obstacles

I btw. support a FTA between the EU and US!
Stef4n is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Returning result from method jca69 iPhone/iPad Programming 6 Dec 18, 2013 09:56 PM
Mac OS error' Result Code = 1852402768 JPGUK Digital Video 0 May 22, 2013 04:38 AM
Can someone enlighten me on this result? newtomacs11 Console Games 1 Feb 23, 2013 03:50 PM
2 different Pedometer apps different result? dimme iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Feb 22, 2013 05:35 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC