Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:24 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google's Two-Factor Authentication App Pulled From App Store After Broken Update

Google has pulled its Google Authenticator app from the App Store following an update that removes all stored accounts when installed.

The app is used with Google's two-factor authentication service to make logging in to Google accounts more secure.

TechCrunch reports that users who don't have a trusted computer will need to reset their all stored tokens on Google that allow other services like Dropbox or Evernote to connect to users' Google accounts.
Quote:
Updating the app removes all your existing accounts, with users complaining in reviews for the update that they've lost their Dropbox, Google Apps, DreamHost, Twilio, Evernote and other tokens after updating and have been forced to sync each over again. It could leave you locked out of your accounts entirely and forced to contact support for a reset, as Dashlane's co-founder Alexis Fogel tells us is happening with his service, and it's something that will also result in an awful lot of unnecessary busy work to set up things that have already been set up before.
The update points to a larger potential problem with iOS 7, where app updates will download automatically onto iOS devices. MacRumors has heard from several iOS 7 beta testers who lost their account info on Google Authenticator because the update was downloaded automatically when it was released.

iOS 7 users do have the option to revert to the manual update scheme used in prior versions of iOS.

There is no word from Google on when the app will be updated and returned to the App Store. The update also includes a new design with a flat icon to match Apple's iOS 7 look-and-feel.

Google Authenticator is normally available free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google's Two-Factor Authentication App Pulled From App Store After Broken Update
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:27 PM   #2
HiRez
macrumors 601

We've removed all your accounts to make your iPhone more open. You're welcome.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:30 PM   #3
supmango
macrumors 6502

This isn't an OS problem. It's a problem with developers not properly testing apps before they are distributed.
supmango is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:31 PM   #4
LordEntropy
macrumors regular

Slightly annoyed that as well as wiping all my accounts it also no longer shows with number it is generating is for which account!
LordEntropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:40 PM   #5
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
iOS 7 users do have the option to revert to the manual update scheme used in prior versions of iOS.
This will be one of the things I'll be doing when iOS 7 comes to my devices.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:44 PM   #6
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

iOS 7 autoupdated the app for me. Whoops.

All I had to do was to go into Gmail and tell it to change to a different device for 2-factor and just reselected the device.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Rigby
macrumors 6502a

The text of this article is inaccurate. The Authenticator app has nothing to do with allowing "other services like Dropbox or Evernote to connect to users' Google accounts", and it does not "store tokens on Google". It just needs to be re-synced with with any accounts that you use it for (e.g. Dropbox, Google etc.).
Rigby is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:48 PM   #8
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Does it erase the data upon install or after you open it? I've updated but haven't opened it yet.
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:49 PM   #9
nutmac
macrumors 68020

More reason to use Authy or Duo Mobile.

My wish is for 1Password to add TOTP generator, freeing me from entering pesky TOTP code altogether.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:50 PM   #10
baryon
macrumors 68030

Software updates: Ruining everything, every time, for everyone since 2001.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:51 PM   #11
ziggie216
macrumors regular

Not a problem for iOS7 users cause previous version of Authenticator already blew away all the entries
ziggie216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:51 PM   #12
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
The text of this article is inaccurate. The Authenticator app has nothing to do with allowing "other services like Dropbox or Evernote to connect to users' Google accounts", and it does not "store tokens on Google". It just needs to be re-synced with with any accounts that you use it for (e.g. Dropbox, Google etc.).
Depending on how you have to resync the phone, you may have all services previously connected to Google disconnected.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:54 PM   #13
MacBoy88
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to MacBoy88
Use Authy...MUCH better
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Rigby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
Depending on how you have to resync the phone, you may have all services previously connected to Google disconnected.
Again, it has nothing to do with services being "connected to Google". The app is an offline one-time-password generator (the codes are generated according to IETF standards). You don't even need a Google account to use it.
Rigby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:01 PM   #15
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
Software updates: Ruining everything, every time, for everyone since 2001.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Except for all the bugs and security issues that are fixed by updates...

Google should be reconsidering their delivery process here for this screwup.
Eraserhead is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:02 PM   #16
blackcrayon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggie216 View Post
Not a problem for iOS7 users cause previous version of Authenticator already blew away all the entries
Not for me, it just wouldn't show which entry belonged to which number. Luckily I only have 3.
blackcrayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:09 PM   #17
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
I'd just like it if all auto-updates kept the old app in my phone's memory for 48 hours. Anytime within that limit I can select a "revert to last version" option in the settings.

I feel like these kind of problems usually get fixed in a day or 2 by the developer. Having that option would make me feel safe enough to use the auto-update feature.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Dave-Z
macrumors member

Single, biggest reason I will not be enabling iOS 7 auto updates.

I really do wish 1Password would incorporate this though.
Dave-Z is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:13 PM   #19
PBF
macrumors 68030

Big freakin' deal.

All you, people, had to do was re-scan the barcode found in your account settings and you'd be good to go.

People love to dramatize, I tell ya.

PBF is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:20 PM   #20
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBF View Post
Big freakin' deal.

All you, people, had to do was re-scan the barcode found in your account settings and you'd be good to go.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:29 PM   #21
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The update points to a larger potential problem with iOS 7, where app updates will download automatically onto iOS devices.

Whoa, really? I've had plenty of times I've held off updating an app for one reason or another. This sucks.

----------

Quote:
Big freakin' deal.

Sure. For your GOOGLE account yes. But you're aware Authenticator works for other accounts too, right? And that resetting their tokens as well can be an annoying, time-consuming task?
curmudgeon32 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:30 PM   #22
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Big freakin' deal.

Yes, but if you don't have a trusted computer, you'll need the code from the (now broken) authenticator app, meaning that you can't get into your account to re-scan the barcode! Of course if you also have a phone number listed on your account (in addition to authenticator), then Google can text or call you with your code.
iPhone 5 64GB Black
fruitpunch.ben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:39 PM   #23
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmango View Post
This isn't an OS problem. It's a problem with developers not properly testing apps before they are distributed.
Or Apple's app review team approved something they shouldn't have.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:42 PM   #24
Rigby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch.ben View Post
Of course if you also have a phone number listed on your account (in addition to authenticator), then Google can text or call you with your code.
Google also gives you a set of backup codes that you should store somewhere safe in case you lose your ability to get new one-time passwords. Same for Dropbox and some other services.
Rigby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:46 PM   #25
iMerik
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
More reason to use Authy or Duo Mobile.

My wish is for 1Password to add TOTP generator, freeing me from entering pesky TOTP code altogether.
So either of those can just straight up replace Google Authenticator and getting the Facebook code through the Facebook app? If anything, it'd be worth having your sites set up in both apps for occasions like the one in this article.
iMerik is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion