Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Well, the time has come, unfortunately. I have an appointment on Sunday at the Genius bar to replace my iPhone 5, which has some massive dust under the camera lens which shows very visibly when taking pictures with solid/light areas. I'm going to restore to iOS 6.1.4 tomorrow.

I was planning on upgrading to iOS 7 anyway (since iOS 7 has most of the things I really jailbreak for anyway)...but I'm going to do the 5 replacement before the 5S announcement, and so my wife will have a non-jacked up camera when I pass the 5 to her the following week.

Now to find the posts that detail everything I need to do to restore. :(

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Maybe you'll get lucky…

I just got my wife a 64GB Sprint iPhone 5 about a week ago. Came with 6.0.1 on it. She's jailbroken now. :D

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Why not bring it to a 3rd party repair place and just have them open it and spray it with some air to get rid of the dust and then put it back together?
I would hate to lose my JB and if worst comes to worst I'd pay for a repair to be done so I don't have to get back to stock ios.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Why not bring it to a 3rd party repair place and just have them open it and spray it with some air to get rid of the dust and then put it back together?
I would hate to lose my JB and if worst comes to worst I'd pay for a repair to be done so I don't have to get back to stock ios.

Really not worth it. The phone is going to my wife in 15 days anyway when the 5S is released, and she will not want it jailbroken. I can deal with stock iOS 6 for a week and a half until iOS 7 is out. We upgrade every year since we're on staggered upgrade schedules and she doesn't care one iota about having a new smartphone, so we sell hers, use the money to pay for the upgrade cost...she gets my old phone, I get the new one. Already have her 4S locked in at $205 at Gazelle, so at most I'll pay $95 for the 5S, as I'll likely get the mid-tier storage one (which I hope will be 64 GB now).

My big reasons for jailbreaking are infinite folders, easy settings toggles and better multitasking stuff....all of that is in iOS 7, so I'm not going to miss too much apart from theming on iOS 7, but it still sort of sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.