Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:17 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Japanese Carrier DoCoMo to Gain iPhone This Fall

After years of negotiations, Japanese carrier DoCoMo will begin carrying the iPhone this fall, according to a report from Japanese newswire Nikkei [Google Translate].

DoCoMo will begin carrying the new models of the iPhone this fall, after Apple and DoCoMo came to an agreement over terms and conditions, including sales quotas, claims Nikkei.

The other large Japanese carriers, KDDI and Softbank, have carried the iPhone for years. Softbank recently purchased a controlling interest in American carrier Sprint.

DoCoMo lost a total of 3.2 million users over the last four-and-a-half years years, with much of that loss blamed on the lack of an iPhone on the network. DoCoMo had long insisted that its own services be preloaded onto devices sold on its network, something that is anathema to Apple.

The companies have appeared closer to a deal in recent weeks, as the CEO of DoCoMo said there were "compelling reasons" for the two companies to reach an agreement.

Nikkei previously reported that both the iPhone 5S and 5C would launch in Japan on Friday, September 20th -- expected to be the same day as the phone's release in the United States.

Article Link: Japanese Carrier DoCoMo to Gain iPhone This Fall
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:18 PM   #2
thasan
macrumors 6502a

good! now where is the bump on aapl?
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Brandon263
macrumors 6502

Will be interesting to see if Apple will allow DoCoMo to put its bloatware on the iPhone. Don't see how they could have made a deal otherwise. They probably struck the same deal with China Mobile.
Brandon263 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:28 PM   #4
macnisse
macrumors 6502

Hai, arigato and congratulations docomo! :-)
macnisse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:29 PM   #5
PDXoPDX
macrumors member

Docomo arigato Mr. Tsubouchi!
PDXoPDX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:42 PM   #6
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon263 View Post
Will be interesting to see if Apple will allow DoCoMo to put its bloatware on the iPhone. Don't see how they could have made a deal otherwise. They probably struck the same deal with China Mobile.
Or DoCoMo and ChinaMobile got sick of losing subscribers to other carriers. I'm sure more details will leak out before or after the official announcements.
UnfetteredMind is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:55 PM   #7
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfetteredMind View Post
Or DoCoMo and ChinaMobile got sick of losing subscribers to other carriers. I'm sure more details will leak out before or after the official announcements.
Was subscriber loss an issue for China Mobile? Hard to imagine with a carrier that has over 700M customers.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
Was subscriber loss an issue for China Mobile? Hard to imagine with a carrier that has over 700M customers.
Maybe loss wasn't a current threat but definitely a near future threat. Striking a deal before the losses started happening would be smart.
Szarky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:13 PM   #9
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68000

DoCoMo was finally like,

----------

Quote:
you serious? there is absolutely no way apple allowed them to put their bloat on the phone. none. it would open apple up to everybody wanting it. no, DoCoMo looked at the business they were losing year after year and finally conceded, probably negotiating on price to save face.
mdelvecchio is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:18 PM   #10
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
Docomo has sucked for years. They always had the worst coverage, and half a decade later, they finally appear to see the light.

Congrats on staying around this long.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Tim Cook has been busy
Technarchy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:25 PM   #12
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
Maybe loss wasn't a current threat but definitely a near future threat. Striking a deal before the losses started happening would be smart.
I think it was more working out the logistics of their network technology and SKU management. The W1605L takes care of their special TD-SCDMA network in addition to all of the other networks out there. Now Apple just have to differentiate SKUs by which bands they support.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:23 PM   #13
mavis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mavis Send a message via MSN to mavis
Just an FYI, Macrumors - NTT DOCOMO is not stylized "DoCoMo" anymore, and hasn't been for years.

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/info/
mavis is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:38 PM   #14
V.K.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Will be interesting to see if Apple will allow DoCoMo to put its bloatware on the iPhone. Don't see how they could have made a deal otherwise.
want a bet?! why would Apple give in to Docomo when they didn't give in to bigger players like Verizon? Apple doesn't need Docomo that badly but Docomo does need Apple.
Quote:
They probably struck the same deal with China Mobile.
why should it be the same? I don't recall any reports of China Mobile wanting bloatware on iphones as a big sticking point in negotiations with Apple. as noted by others in the thread the main issue was network incompatibility which is supposed to be resolved with the new chips in the upcoming new iphones. I also remember reading that the size of iphone subsidies was a big point of contention.

All that said, China Mobile with their huge subscriber base is probably the stronger side in the negotiations with Apple. if anybody can bend Apple to allow bloatware on iphones (if they REALLY wanted it) it would be China Mobile. But definitely not Docomo.
V.K. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:46 PM   #15
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I remember seeing reports about 3G subscribers growing far more quickly on other networks. (Most of the smartphones in China were said to be 2G until recently.) However, I don't know whether most of the difference can be explained by lack of iPhones or lack of high end phones in general or by something else.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:08 PM   #16
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavis View Post
Just an FYI, Macrumors - NTT DOCOMO is not stylized "DoCoMo" anymore, and hasn't been for years.

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/info/
Who cares. Not germane to the article.
sinsin07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:14 PM   #17
skipper113
macrumors newbie

Softbank iPhone here in Japan already includes some of its bloatware preinstalled.
skipper113 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:28 PM   #18
Snowshiro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob81 View Post
Docomo has sucked for years. They always had the worst coverage, and half a decade later, they finally appear to see the light.

Congrats on staying around this long.
Docomo have pretty much managed to shrug off the iPhone for this long, simply because they have the largest network in 3, 3.5 and 4G. Although Softbank have made strenuous efforts to improve recently after buying their god-awful network from Vodafone, they're still a fair distance behind.

The idea that Docomo's coverage is the worst is either the result of you having no idea what you're talking about (most likely) or a blatant lie.

I've had phones on all 3 networks during the last 10 years. Docomo are far and away the fastest. AU have good coverage, but not amazing speeds. And as I said, while Softbank have improved, they're still playing catchup.

Really, next time you make a pointless comment, at least try to aim somewhere in the rough direction of the truth.
Snowshiro is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:40 PM   #19
dziewuliz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
Really, next time you make a pointless comment, at least try to aim somewhere in the rough direction of the truth.
Saved me a post...
dziewuliz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:41 PM   #20
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I think it was more working out the logistics of their network technology and SKU management. The W1605L takes care of their special TD-SCDMA network in addition to all of the other networks out there. Now Apple just have to differentiate SKUs by which bands they support.
What are you talking about " W1605L "
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:56 PM   #21
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
What are you talking about " W1605L "
It's a wireless transceiver qualcomm makes that supports TD-SCDMA. The previous version apple used, the RTR8600, didn't support TD-SCDMA.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 06:29 PM   #22
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
Docomo have pretty much managed to shrug off the iPhone for this long, simply because they have the largest network in 3, 3.5 and 4G. Although Softbank have made strenuous efforts to improve recently after buying their god-awful network from Vodafone, they're still a fair distance behind.

The idea that Docomo's coverage is the worst is either the result of you having no idea what you're talking about (most likely) or a blatant lie.

I've had phones on all 3 networks during the last 10 years. Docomo are far and away the fastest. AU have good coverage, but not amazing speeds. And as I said, while Softbank have improved, they're still playing catchup.

Woah! Slow down there killer. I was just speaking from my experience. Next time I will add that caveat in there for the more passionate folks.

Back on topic: THEY SUCK!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 06:48 PM   #23
mavis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mavis Send a message via MSN to mavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
Who cares. Not germane to the article.
Docomo apparently cared enough to change it in 2008. And since this is a site that seems to take professionalism and accuracy seriously, I thought they might want to know. Writing Docomo like "DoCoMo" would be like writing "aPpLe." I guess since it's not an American company it's not a big deal?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper113 View Post
Softbank iPhone here in Japan already includes some of its bloatware preinstalled.
I've bought a launch day iPhone every year since the iPhone 3G in 2008, and I've never once had anything preinstalled on my phone besides the stock Apple apps.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 07:14 PM   #24
yukster
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper113 View Post
Like what?? I haven't seen any bloatware on my Softbank iPhone.
yukster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 07:23 PM   #25
windowpain
macrumors 6502

At last!!

To be honest I thought they would never get it. Good to see common sense prevailed. They are going to sell truckloads of the things.
windowpain is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion