Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the Haswell rMBP be announced in September with a dGPU option?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Now is the time to officially stand behind your predictions for the Haswell release!

We're fairly certain about 802.11ac and PCIe; One of the more vigorous rumor matches involves the inclusion of a dGPU in the Haswell rMBP.

Take this public poll and post your prediction for the approximate announcement date and if a dGPU will be a BTO option anywhere in the Haswell rMBP lineup.

I won't include this in the poll, but if you're inclined, make your prediction about the endangered panda of screen rumors - IGZO.

Example:

[Month],[yes (there will be a dGPU option) | no (iGPU only)]

Remember - this is NOT the thread to explain your prediction - please do so here: Waiting for Haswell MBP Mega Thread

If you don't think the Haswell rMBP will be announced anytime this year, or you hate kittens, still vote on your GPU prediction. :D :D

I'll go first:

Oct, yes
No IGZO

Last edited:

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
In the worst case scenario, it could be a November also. But I bet on October, dGPU, no IGZO.

I have to agree. I've said October all along and nothing in the last two weeks has led me to believe we'll see anything MBPr related.

I still believe that Apple will hold a 'Mac' event that will include Mavericks and any Mac related computers (MPs, MBPrs, Mini...whatever). It would make a really nice Mac Event just in time for Christmas.

I think 09/10 is going to be an iDevice only show.

Before you flame me, remember that I want the MBPrs as badly as you do. I just don't think we'll see them on 09/10.

-P

Uliman

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
In 5 days
No IGZO
No dGPU
Thinner, lighter 13"
$100 price drop in base config

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
iThink™:

September: ultra-mobile devices (iDevices)
October: mobile devices (MBP, rMBP) <<-- OS X 10.9!
November: desktop devices (MP, TBD2, Mac mini, iMac)

All (r)MBPs without a dGPU. Mavericks obviously in October.

It's easy to see, why Apple released the MBA in June 2013: This device is ideal for universities & some schools.

Last edited:

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
iThink™:

September: ultra-mobile devices (iDevices)
October: mobile devices (MBP, rMBP) <<-- OS X 10.9!
November: desktop devices (MP, TBD2, Mac mini, iMac)

Mavericks obviously in October.

It's easy to see, why Apple released the MBA in June 2013: This device is ideal for universities & some schools.

Milk

They might just skip Haswell. Bring on Broadwell!

God Damnit! Dying on the inside.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
In the worst case scenario, it could be a November also. But I bet on October, dGPU, no IGZO.
Ah... if it weren't for that pesky MBP out in the wild registering geek bench scores with an Iris Pro I'd rubber stamp this. :(

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Ah... if it weren't for that pesky MBP out in the wild registering geek bench scores with an Iris Pro I'd rubber stamp this. :(

That's what makes me most pessimistic about a dGPU. But then again, did we see a geekbench of all the current configurations of the rMBP before it was released?

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota

Yea, and I feel like if the 15" did include a dGPU. It would be HD 4600 + dGPU. And not Iris 5200 + dGPU

And since the geekbench leaks showed us that the 15" included the 5200, I imagine that it will be the only GPU available in the 15" rMBP

Last edited:

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Yea, and I feel like if the 15" did include a dGPU. It would be HD 4600 + dGPU. And not Iris 5200 + dGPU

And since the geekbench leaks showed us that the 15" included the 5200, I imagine that it will be the only GPU available in the 15" rMBP

Is it even possible for the a HQ+5200 chip to work with a dGPU? I don't think I've seen any notebooks on the market like that.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
Is it even possible for the a HQ+5200 chip to work with a dGPU? I don't think I've seen any notebooks on the market like that.

There are hardly any notebooks with the 5200 alone, let alone with a dgpu. But there are no technical limitations that would not allow such a combination.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
off course it can, and there is only one system so far with the iris pro its the clevo w740s
there probably aren't any, because it would make no sense.

and that sentence makes no sense, because I have an improved igpu I won't have a dgpu? that doesn't even compute, the difference in power is tremendous

Im hoping for IGZO, that with haswell and mavericks would improve the battery by a good amount, I dare say 1-2h

although the just released yoga 2 still advertises the same battery life, I think there is something wrong in there, given that its a haswell ulv (the line that most profited from the power saving features) and IGZO

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Who are these poor misguided souls wishing for a dGPU AND September release? :eek:

Your names are being logged you know!!

:D

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
off course it can, and there is only one system so far with the iris pro its the clevo w740s

and that sentence makes no sense, because I have an improved igpu I won't have a dgpu? that doesn't even compute, the difference in power is tremendous

Im hoping for IGZO, that with haswell and mavericks would improve the battery by a good amount, I dare say 1-2h

although the just released yoga 2 still advertises the same battery life, I think there is something wrong in there, given that its a haswell ulv (the line that most profited from the power saving features) and IGZO

I am saying that if you have a dGPU in a notebook, then you should have HD4600 as your iGPU.

draculr

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2013
Where is this whole no dgpu idea coming from?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested

eg.
55289.png

The 5200 is well off the previous generation 650M. I know the 750M isn't a HUGE increase, but the potential for having 2GB VRAM is there with the 750M.

It is a pro machine, having iGPU only would rule out the machine for use by many professionals including someone like me who needs it for video editing.

As Anand concludes

"For the past few years Intel has been threatening to make discrete GPUs obsolete with its march towards higher performing integrated GPUs. Given what we know about Iris Pro today, I'd say NVIDIA is fairly safe."

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
maybe if we all vote for oct and no dgpu.. apple will surprise us with the exact opposite and release in sept with dgpu

romrp

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
I vote for October and No (with dGPU). I would say they are delaying since they are reducing in tickness and are having problems with excess heat. All the best, Rom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.