Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiPod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Hi everybody,
I am currently trying to bring my 2nd Gen iPod 20GB back from the dead. Thought one of the iPod-gurus on the MacRumors forums might have an idea how to troubleshoot this.

The story so far: My iPod's hard drive died a couple of years ago. I recently dug it up to see whether there was a way to fix it and got a replacement, along with a new battery.

Now, when I put it in diagnostic mode, everything appears to be fine. From what I found on the web, all tests, even hdd scan complete as they should.

Trouble starts when I connect it to my computer, though. It goes to disk mode just fine, but the hard drive keeps clicking, as if it was being switched on and off repeatedly.

In disk utility, it showed up fine at first, so I tried to zero the drive, which would not progress at all. The drive clicking all the time.

I finally killed and restarted disk utility, and now the partitions name has changed to "ð┬╝Ë¥Ý". This is reproducible: After a diagnostic mode hdd scan, the partition will show up as something along the lines of dsk1_2 again. If I try to delete or format it in disk utility however, it will rename itself as "ð┬╝Ë¥Ý" once again.

So… what could be the problem here? The hard drive is a Toshiba MK2006GAL, which I was told would be compatible to the MK2003GAH that was originally in the iPod. Is this true?

Any suggestions on how to find out what's wrong with it?

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
To me, it sounds like your new HD is buggered too.

Not to be snarky, but I think you may have a lot less trouble just buying a new iPod rather than trying to resurrect 10-year old tech.

ZombiPod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2013
Thanks for your reply.

I am aware that I could easily buy a new one. But what would be the fun in that? :)
So it's more of nostalgia and curiosity that I am trying to resurrect this one.

I have now ordered an IDE adaptor to connect and check the new drive in a PC.
I'll see what I find out.

Could the problem also be with the hard drive cable or the iPod's logic board?

Is the fact that the iPod's HDD selfcheck completes successfully any indication?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.