Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekbaker4life

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
my mini has been working fine since i got it, yet last night i shut it down like usual, and correctly to say the least. today after returning from school, i power up my mini and get to the login screen as i always have, i type my password and thats when it goes down hill. i get the screen with the apple symbol and the scrolling loading wheel thing.. about 30- 60 seconds later the apple symbol changes to a crossed out circle and stays loading until shutting down after some time. its a late 2012 mini so it doesn't have a cd drive. i heard its one of three issues...

1. hard drive failure.
2. software corrupting the hard drive.
3. or a bad shut down.
can anyone explain to me how to run a diagnostics test, as any computer repair, or apple store would do to find out the issue.

any information on how to fix any of these problems would greatly be appreciated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do this:
1. Power down, all the way off
2. Press power-on button, hold down the shift key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN.
3. What happens next?

derekbaker4life

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
i got into the hardware test, and it proved their are no issues with the hardware.. I am trying to get into safe boot by holding down **** at start up but nothing is happening.

derekbaker4life

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
yeah, well since i cant access anything on my computer im just going to have to trust it aren't I?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.