Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'm with AT&T with an iPhone 4S. Am not planning to upgrade, so my contract ends next month.

I currently have a 200 MB + 1,000 text plan with AT&T for $29/month (including ******** fees and all that).

Which carrier should I switch to? I'm thinking T-Mobile, but are there any good carriers to switch to considering I'll soon be an owner of an unlocked iPhone 4S?

Note that I'm only looking for data+text plans. No voice.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
kind of subjective. we dont know where you are located, therefore cant tell what carriers cover your area and what their coverage footprint looks like. you will need to do your own research to see what fits your needs best, given your money situation and location.

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
I'm with AT&T with an iPhone 4S. Am not planning to upgrade, so my contract ends next month.

I currently have a 200 MB + 1,000 text plan with AT&T for $29/month (including ******** fees and all that).

Which carrier should I switch to? I'm thinking T-Mobile, but are there any good carriers to switch to considering I'll soon be an owner of an unlocked iPhone 4S?

T-Mo has the $30 plan on prepaid, I guess it's a good one, it's unlimited everything and 100 mins. You will enjoy some EDGE if you travel, but it doesn't matter if you're someone who uses under 200MB.

Sadly, having a 4S means you won't get 3G everywhere.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Yeah, if you switch to T-mobile, you won't get 3G data, but, at 200MB, sounds like maybe you don't need it. Should be easy to switch to T-mobile, just get a new sim from them.

T-mobile didn't get on track with Apple until some months ago, and you have to have an iPhone 5 made after that date that will be able to fully utilize T-mobile's data standards to get the 3G data, (although LTE should work, but not available everywhere yet for T-mobile).

I'm assuming you bought your phone specifically for AT&T? If so, I'm not sure if it can be unlocked for CDMA carriers, maybe someone else can chime in here...if you can, then you do have other options.

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I wouldn't go to t-mobile.

I switched when they got the iphone 5 and the service has been absolutely miserable. I must prefer ATT

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I don't need anything fancy, but I'd like a plan where I don't need to keep a constant eye on the data usage bar, if you know what I mean :)

I have WiFi everywhere I go, so it's in-betweens that I use cellular data. I currently use anywhere from 80 to 180 MB of data per month. But can see myself easily using upwards to 400-500 MB per month if I don't have to worry about keeping an eye on usage.

So the cheapest T-Mobile plan at 500 MB works great. So does Simple Mobile and Straight Talk's $40 and $45 plans respectively.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I would go to T-Mobile only if you are in a major city and are planning to stay there.

No one can beat their $70 truly unlimited data plan with LTE. :D

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I live 15 minutes out of NYC and both my data and reception are crap nearly 100% of the time.

I'm pretty sure NYC is considered a major city xD

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Would the Rochester area be considered a major city?

:D :D :D

Yep, 4G LTE in Rochester. :D

Capture.PNG

Purple is EDGE. :(

Light Pink is 3G/4G HSPA+/LTE. :)

Dark Pink/Magenta is very good 4G HSPA+/LTE. :D

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
Map doesn't mean anything. My entire area is colored for LTE and I haven't connected to LTE since I bought my phone.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Map doesn't mean anything. My entire area is colored for LTE and I haven't connected to LTE since I bought my phone.

same reason i ditched att when the iphone 5 came out. it said i was in an att LTE area and never saw it. canceled and went to verizon. half the time, those maps could mean nothing, especially during new network upgrades. the borders where old meets new can be wishy washy.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
same reason i ditched att when the iphone 5 came out. it said i was in an att LTE area and never saw it. canceled and went to verizon. half the time, those maps could mean nothing, especially during new network upgrades. the borders where old meets new can be wishy washy.

Exactly. I don't get LTE at my house on my iPad Mini with AT&T but do get LTE on T-Mobile at my house. Figure that one out.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
If you get AT&T LTE, stay with AT&T or you will not be happy.

T-Mo has much less coverage in my area. DO NOT trust their coverage maps as I was in an "EXCELLENT" area for T-Mo and yet had to go outside to make a call!:p

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I wouldn't go to t-mobile.

I switched when they got the iphone 5 and the service has been absolutely miserable. I must prefer ATT

Same here. I'm trying to switch to either VZ or Sprint at this point. The cheaper plan is not worth the shotty service.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Bingo. Boston is supposed to be blanketed, but isnt.

OP, stick with AT&T. Rochester is one of their stronger markets with tons of LTE up.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
To everyone saying LTE, you all do know that the 4S doesn't have LTE, right? :)

Guess I'll go for Straight Talk, since they use the AT&T network. Win-win... I think.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
To everyone saying LTE, you all do know that the 4S doesn't have LTE, right? :)

Guess I'll go for Straight Talk, since they use the AT&T network. Win-win... I think.

Another choice is GoPhone or AIO. Both on AT&T's network.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
As far as I can say from personal experience ATT has slightly better customer service. Verizon has gotten rid of all the perks for being a customer. AT&T never really had any to begin with so they have been pretty consistent. Service wise thy both are good, may vary depending on area of course. Prices are pretty comparable too.

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I was very happy with my ATT service, just not the bill. But Verizon won't be much (if at all) cheaper and I'd rather take crappy Tmobile over Sprint...

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011

Net10 or airvoice wireless. Airvoice has a $40 1gb data plan plus unlimited talk and text. Both use AT&T network

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.