Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:13 PM   #1
15tigers
macrumors newbie

Buying iPhone 5

So news has spread that iPhone 5's are selling at walmart for 100$ with a 2-year contract. Seeing as I'm eligible for an upgrade would now be a good time to buy?

Also I'm assuming buying an iPhone 5 would be a better deal than splurging on a 5s..
15tigers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2
JAT
macrumors 603

They were $200 with a 2 year contract. So the savings is $100. While that's more than zero, it isn't the world's greatest deal ever.

Probably the 5s will be $200 and the 5c will be less. I'd wait til the 10th and see. Best Buy and Walmart will still have some 5 models after the 10th.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:34 PM   #3
crzdcolombian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15tigers View Post
So news has spread that iPhone 5's are selling at walmart for 100$ with a 2-year contract. Seeing as I'm eligible for an upgrade would now be a good time to buy?

Also I'm assuming buying an iPhone 5 would be a better deal than splurging on a 5s..
The only amount you need to worry about is an iphone is $30x24 months which is at least $720 depending on what data/text plan your on. I am in the lowest that AT&T gives and it's still a **** ton of money. Saving $100 bucks and not getting the 5s in my opinion is dumb as your already spending over $720 + $36 to activate the phone.

Later on once your plan is over you can trade the phone to a best buy/radio shack/ online source/craigslist for more money than the iphone 6s or 7 will cost you 2 years down the road. People want no contract iphones and a new iphone is like 700 bucks w/o a plan.

The $100 bucks you save up front will end up costing you. My roommate got a free galaxy 3 phone that came out this year for free with a 2 year contract. Way better option than spending $100 for a 1 year old phone that is potentially not even going to be sold anymore after Sept 10th.
crzdcolombian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:43 PM   #4
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzdcolombian View Post
The only amount you need to worry about is an iphone is $30x24 months which is at least $720 depending on what data/text plan your on.
That's true of a $0 Android phone, too. So, that's not exactly a buying point.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:53 PM   #5
crzdcolombian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
The current iphone 5 will most likely no longer be sold or be free if there really is a iPhone 5c(prob 100 with 2 year) and iPhone 5s(200 w/ 2 year)

No I see people worry about the device sticker price but the big issue is the extra cost to own

15 bucks for 200mbs, 20 for 300mbs !!! Lowest options !!! + texting 10-15 bucks !!!!

I mean if the extra $100 bucks is going to kill you considering a new one is coming out in less then 1 week. Then you probably shouldn't get a smartphone.
crzdcolombian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Spacial
macrumors 6502

The Wal-Mart price is excellent. I've had a great experience with my iPhone 5, and have no desire to buy a 5S even though I'm eligible for the upgrade subsidy. All I am wanting is a larger display, and thats not about to happen anytime soon. Newer is not always better, and unless a fingerprint sensor excites you, an iPhone 5 is an excellent choice.
Spacial is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:47 AM   #7
wmitch
macrumors regular

It's a good price and the IP5 is fantastic but at this point i think i would wait it out another week. I wouldn't be surprised to see the deals get even better.

I could be wrong but about this time last year, didn't Best Buy knock the 4S down to $49?
wmitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:11 PM   #8
levine
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Absolutely true.
levine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:51 PM   #9
mizaco
Banned

I'd spend that $200 on the upcoming Nexus phone and with just a little more out of your pocket, get it unlocked and high-end hardware.
mizaco is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice