Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 6, 2013, 06:36 AM   #1
geechi
macrumors newbie

Deleted .Trashes Folder...Can I still recover missing files?

Hello, I recently deleted some sensitive information from my computer by using the trash bin. Additionally I did a search for the .trashes folder and deleted the contents there as well. If both of these things are done but I have not used the computer and wrote over the files...Are they still somewhere in my computer and can be recovered by a third party software? please assist.
geechi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:34 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Yes, they can be recovered, as you did not delete the files but he links to it (name and position on platters), thus a thorough scan via data recovery software (welcome spammers in several months for not reading the thread) can produce positive results in restoring the data.
If you really want to securely delete the Trash, there is an option of Secure Empty Trash in the Finder menu, which overwrites the data in the Trash with zeroes.
There is also the option in Disk Utility to Erase Free Space, which even gives you the option to overwrite the non used space three or seven times.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by geechi View Post
Hello, I recently deleted some sensitive information from my computer by using the trash bin. Additionally I did a search for the .trashes folder and deleted the contents there as well.
If you value any of your files, you should make a backup, so that if you decide to move them to the trash and then destroy the contents of the trash folders, you still have a copy if you later change your mind.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help