Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:36 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

China Unicom and China Telecom to Start Pre-Orders for iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C Next Week

Chinese mobile carriers China Telecom and China Unicom will reportedly begin taking pre-orders for Apple's upcoming iPhone 5S and low-cost iPhone 5C next week, with deliveries being fulfilled the week after, according to a report from Reuters. The report follows the issuing of invitations for a September 11 Apple satellite launch event in Beijing, just hours after the company holds its main media event on September 10 at its headquarters in Cupertino, California.

Quote:
"There used to be a wait of a few months before Apple launches their latest products in China, but nowadays, China is too important a market for Apple and so it will be the first batch of markets to start selling the low and high-end iPhones next week," said a source at one of the telecom carriers, who declined to be identified as he was not authorized to speak to the media. [...]

Days after the launch in Beijing, both of Apple's current Chinese carriers will accept pre-orders. It will take about a week for them to deliver the new iPhones to their customers, the source said.
That timing supports circulating rumors and speculation about the new iPhones launching in the first wave of markets on Friday, September 20, roughly a week and a half after Apple's media event.

Currently, China Telecom and China Unicom are the only carriers in the country to carry the iPhone. China Mobile, the world's biggest carrier, does not currently carry the iPhone, but there have been reports that the carrier may be close to a deal with Apple for the iPhone. Rumors have indicated that a China Mobile iPhone launch could come slightly later than on the other Chinese carriers due to the need for regulatory approval of unique iPhone hardware compatible with China Mobile's network.

Article Link: China Unicom and China Telecom to Start Pre-Orders for iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C Next Week
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Bare
macrumors member

Another good indication of a September 20 launch date.

If only Apple could do enough to convince me to fall for any of these "S" versions. I went from a 3G, to a 4, to a 5 and see no reason to get a 5S.
Bare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:43 AM   #3
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

So there's a confirmed (by Apple) September 10th event. It's iPhone season. Telcos are ordering phones. Amazing
ValSalva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

If things go well for apple in China , I'm guessing they would destroy last quarters earnings .. Good luck apple , make is proud
Ventilatedbrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post

If only Apple could do enough to convince me to fall for any of these "S" versions. I went from a 3G, to a 4, to a 5 and see no reason to get a 5S.
If the 5 works for you then you're saving some money. I have a 5 and am glad I don't need to think about a new phone this year, especially when I plan on upgrading my 3rd gen iPad later this fall.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6
mbh
macrumors 6502

Quote:

You make it sound like Apple is trying to defraud people. Some people are on the "S" cycle. It works fine for me because I get better specs in a tested design.
mbh is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:58 AM   #7
claus1225
macrumors member

I was once in the Pasadena apple store. I saw a few chinese buying a dozen units of phone 4 at flat price.

they probably carry them back to china and sell them at premium.

this is how strong the demand is in china.
claus1225 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Tjosansa
macrumors regular

Quote:

Im the other way around.. Im a S person.. Well i did have iPhone 3g. But then 3GS and 4S and now maybe 5S or 5C.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Bazooka-joe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by claus1225 View Post
I was once in the Pasadena apple store. I saw a few chinese buying a dozen units of phone 4 at flat price.

they probably carry them back to china and sell them at premium.

this is how strong the demand is in china.
With China opening up to Apple, do you guys think there that iPhones will be available in China on the 20th September and would that create limited supplies and shortages in Europe and the U.S or will Apple have ramped up production to cope with the demand from Asia.
Bazooka-joe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:04 AM   #10
CrAkD
macrumors 68020

I predict a 3am night the 12th into the 13th
CrAkD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:10 AM   #11
scbn
macrumors regular

Those two smaller carriers in China tried to lock in their customers as quickly as possible, before China Mobile gets its chance after the regulatory approval of the new phones for China Mobile's networks, which could take a couple of months.
scbn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:11 AM   #12
racingbull
macrumors newbie

the sexy S

here's an S-series guy, too.
I painfully held off two years since the iPhone was released in 1007 and until I felt the specs were right for me: jumped on the 3GS, then 4S and now … well, hoping to be blown away by the 5S. Otherwise I'll stick with my 4S. I've got no urgency to change...
For sure I'll be in for 2 Retina iPad Minis (one for my granny and one for myself) and an updated AppleTV.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:13 AM   #13
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka-joe View Post
With China opening up to Apple, do you guys think there that iPhones will be available in China on the 20th September and would that create limited supplies and shortages in Europe and the U.S or will Apple have ramped up production to cope with the demand from Asia.
I think there are going to be serious supply issues if Apple tries to launch in US, Europe and China on the same day or within a few days of each other. Demand for these phones on launch day is probably an easy 10 million and I don't see how Apple could build up that type of supply ahead of time.

On the plus side, I wonder if this will dramatically decrease the Chinese scalpers lining up in New York City. Though to a certain extent it was fun and a little surreal to walk by a long line of elderly Chinese women holding their colorful sun umbrellas while they waited in line outside Apple's flagship store in midtown.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:14 AM   #14
mcclint
macrumors newbie

Power Computing logo

Am I the only one who sees the China Telecom logo as the old Power Computing logo?
mcclint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:15 AM   #15
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbull View Post
I painfully held off two years since the iPhone was released in 1007 and until I felt the specs were right for me: jumped on the 3GS, then 4S and now … well, hoping to be blown away by the 5S. Otherwise I'll stick with my 4S. I've got no urgency to change...
For sure I'll be in for 2 Retina iPad Minis (one for my granny and one for myself) and an updated AppleTV.
Don't forget the iOS7 upgrade that is coming. It might not run fantastic or be full featured on your 4S.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:28 AM   #16
DogGone
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbull View Post
Same with me. The 3GS was the first phone that had the speed and features I wanted. Then upgrades 2 years later. I will decide on the 5S once the specs come out. This will be the first time I won't upgrade on the release day and will probably wait for a month or just hold off for another year. I guess it will depend on the responsive of my 4S after iOS7 upgrade.
New AppleTV will be great.
DogGone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:29 AM   #17
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The iPhone has been available in China for a couple years, this is not new news. Except the price point of the new phone may attract a new demographic.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:17 AM   #18
kimvette
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
You make it sound like Apple is trying to defraud people. Some people are on the "S" cycle. It works fine for me because I get better specs in a tested design.
I'm back on the S cycle.

iPhone 3GS -> iphone 4 -> Galaxy S4, since Apple has yet to come out with a compelling upgrade over the iPhone4. Colors? Really? How about a 1080p screen, IR blaster (universal remote FTW!), SD slot, quad core processor, 2GB RAM, decent task management, antenna terminals, user-upgradable battery, USB host (tethered DSLR FTW!!), etc? You're falling way, way behind the times, Apple.
kimvette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:41 AM   #19
tonytiger13
macrumors regular

Quote:

I always find it interesting that people pay full price (well, sell their old phone to recoup costs) every year for the latest phone. I'm an S guy. For me, it's the model with the kinks worked out and bumped up enough to be close to "the latest and greatest" (though with Apple lately, that can be debatable). Also, I'm an S guy because when iPhone 4S came out, it was the first time I could afford a data plan, so there's that. But I'll be on the 2-year contract cycles and basically get a phone for free because I'm selling my 4S for $200. Though I might up my next purchase to 64GB instead of the base model (fingers crossed for 32GB base 5S).
tonytiger13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:49 AM   #20
freediverdude
macrumors 6502a

It will be interesting to see how these new plans from the US carriers with no money down and upgrade every 6 months will affect the numbers too.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:51 AM   #21
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Not sure about it affecting supplys in the US...But it's for sure going to make for an interesting few hours when pre-orders go live. I'll be ready!
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:32 AM   #22
muadibe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Exactly. I went from a Motorola Razr to a 4S. Skipped the 5 and now ready for a 5S with fingerprint sensor.
muadibe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:42 AM   #23
theOtherGeoff
macrumors regular

Quote:

depends on which cycle you're on... I've evolved to the 'tock' cycle (3gs, 4s, 5s)... you're on the 'tick' cycle (3g, 4, 5). I prefer '.1' releases of HW and software;-), you prefer higher risk [antennagate, app size issues, new formfactor adoption costs] for early evolution defining capabilities.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Not sure about it affecting supplys in the US...But it's for sure going to make for an interesting few hours when pre-orders go live. I'll be ready!
We (White English Speaking [male] Anglo/Saxon/American) gotta get used to losing our front of the line privilege.

To Apple... Profit knows no border, timezone, language or denomination. And the coinciding release means that Apple feels they have the production/delivery capacity high enough to meet the initial demand to maximize profit, at the cost of dissapointing some past 'most favored nations'.

I typically wait a couple weeks, and walk into my store... this time I'm changing phone numbers, so it's likely needing a ATT/Verizon visit to execute cleanly, so even more so to avoid the bleeding edge of the sales knife
theOtherGeoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:44 AM   #24
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

I wonder whether the first round will include more countries than previous years.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:48 AM   #25
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502

so you are telling me that people will PRE-ORDER that cheap plastic phone. there will be more than ever pre-orders for the original iphone (because of the classy new colors) but i dont expect many people to pre-order the 5C.
blitzer09x87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion