Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

No New Apple TV Coming Next Week, But Apple Will Upgrade Software

Apple will not be debuting a new version of its Apple TV at next week's iPhone event, reports AllThingsD. Earlier this week, a "mysterious" set top box shipment from a new supplier suggested Apple could be planning to introduce an upgraded Apple TV, but it appears that the shipment likely consisted of existing hardware rather than a new product.
Quote:
Despite speculation about new Apple TV hardware on the way, Apple won't be unveiling any new boxes next week, according to people familiar with the company's plans.

That said, the company will be tweaking the software inside its Web TV box. Apple has already said that it will be bringing its new iTunes Radio service to Apple TV. And it has been adding new content partners, including Disney and HBO, throughout the summer.
While testing beta versions of Mavericks and iOS 7, Apple has also been testing new Apple TV software. The 5.4 Apple TV update includes support for iTunes Radio and it also allows users to purchase music from the iTunes Store on the Apple TV. In addition, it includes a "Conference Room Mode" for business and academic settings, easier setup options, and multi-display support.

AllThingsD suggests that other software changes will be introduced as well, including a new AirPlay feature.
Quote:
Sources say that one new feature in the works will let people who've bought content from Apple play that stuff on other users' Apple TVs, via Apple's Airplay system. So if you've bought a TV show or movie from Apple's iTunes store, you could watch it at a friend's house, by calling it up on your iPhone, and telling your friend's Apple TV to start streaming it.
Over the past several months, Apple has been working to fortify its Apple TV offerings and has introduced a number of new channels. WatchESPN, HBO GO, Sky News, Crunchyroll and Quello were added in June, and in August, Apple debuted new channels for Vevo, the Smithsonian, and Disney. Deals with TWC and The CW are also said to be in the works.

Apple's Apple TV update will likely debut alongside iOS 7, which is expected to be released to the public sometime after the September 10 iPhone event.

Article Link: No New Apple TV Coming Next Week, But Apple Will Upgrade Software
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:42 PM   #2
apple.net
macrumors member

Any new watches?
apple.net is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:43 PM   #3
RandomEnding
macrumors newbie

:(

I think whey protein often contains all the necessary BCAAs.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:43 PM   #4
najkee
macrumors newbie

Third party apps

I think Apple should open up the ATV for the app store... developers would help make that a revolutionary feature, like it was with the iPhone...
najkee is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Steve J0bs
macrumors regular

me wanty a new producty.
Steve J0bs is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Rogifan
macrumors G3

I hope that tweak includes an updated UI but my guess is we're stuck with the screen of glossy icons for a while. Sigh.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:45 PM   #7
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
This was expected because we didn't see any blurry photos of any new apple TVs
CrazyForApple is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:46 PM   #8
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple.net View Post
Any new watches?
maybe apple figured it out that its dumb to read email on a 2" screen?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I hope that tweak includes an updated UI but my guess is we're stuck with the screen of glossy icons for a while. Sigh.
it works
alent1234 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:47 PM   #9
stigzy
macrumors member

Really understand that Apple doesnt need to upgrade the Apple TV. There really is no competition that can compare to how easy and good it works. All it need is just some software upgrade, and I'm happy!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:48 PM   #10
D-Back
macrumors member

Quote:
"Sources say that one new feature in the works will let people who’ve bought content from Apple play that stuff on other users' Apple TVs, via Apple’s Airplay system. So if you’ve bought a TV show or movie from Apple’s iTunes store, you could watch it at a friend’s house, by calling it up on your iPhone, and telling your friend’s Apple TV to start streaming it."
Can't we already do this?
D-Back is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:48 PM   #11
landroverz7
macrumors newbie

Apple TV 4

And here I was hoping Apple will release an apple TV 4 with:
A6 or A7 dual core
gigabit ethernet port
802.11ac
16GB inbuilt ssd for new app store
usb 3.0 port for external hdd
landroverz7 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:49 PM   #12
davidwarren
macrumors 6502a

I have an AppleTV on each of my four tvs. We love it. I am pumped for a software update!!!

Well, I mean, I'm not that really pumped about it, but it would be nice.
davidwarren is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I think it'll be updated. There will almost definitely be new iPod nanos with an iOS 7-like interface, Apple TV would look old/weird if it was the only thing that didn't change. It's also not a huge interface, wouldn't be a lot of work.
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:55 PM   #14
bataa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Back View Post
No. Currently you stream on your iphone/ipad and display on Apple TV. But now, you command your friend's Apple tv to stream directly on it.
bataa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Bryan Bowler
macrumors 65816

Darn it. I want one. Gonna hold out a few more days to see if refurbished models come back in stock. (They've been out for 2 weeks now.)

Bryan
Bryan Bowler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:56 PM   #16
dlondon
macrumors regular

I was hoping that version 3 would have been jailbroken by now. I'd like to stream my entire collection of videos from my NAS without having to convert them. Apple should open up Apple TV a bit like they did with the iPhone. Less reason to Jailbreak and more reason to get one for each TV set.

Would also like iPlayer and 4OD.
dlondon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:58 PM   #17
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Any new watches?
Why is the Watch and an actual Apple TV two devices people all the sudden must have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bataa View Post
No. Currently you stream on your iphone/ipad and display on Apple TV. But now, you command your friend's Apple tv to stream directly on it.
Currently you can have multiple accounts on an Apple TV and right now my account is programmed on my friend's Apple TV and when I go to his house to catch up on certain shows he switches to my account and all my shows appear on his Apple TV to be streamed.

Apple TV update adds support for multiple iTunes accounts, shared Photo Streams
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/24/33...-photo-streams
saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:59 PM   #18
richman555
macrumors 6502

I am glad Apple is not releasing a new version just yet, but we continue to get free updates.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:59 PM   #19
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Back View Post
I think what they're saying (I had to read that a couple of times...) is you can allocate a "temp license" to an Apple TV that doesn't use your same Apple ID, and it's not being AirPlayed from the "authorizing device". Possibly not even through WiFi, and just through the remote interface.

So once authorized, the friend's Apple TV just plays it directly from the iTunes stream up on Apple's servers, your device is done, and it probably plays once, or for a limited amount of time, almost like a VOD purchase.

Pretty cool.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:59 PM   #20
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigzy View Post
Really understand that Apple doesnt need to upgrade the Apple TV. There really is no competition that can compare to how easy and good it works. All it need is just some software upgrade, and I'm happy!
Really? The Roku is huge competitor.
Orlandoech is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 06:00 PM   #21
Arcus
macrumors 6502a

Maybe they can finally fix the HDCP errors.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 06:02 PM   #22
FWRLCK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
I think it'll be updated. There will almost definitely be new iPod nanos with an iOS 7-like interface, Apple TV would look old/weird if it was the only thing that didn't change. It's also not a huge interface, wouldn't be a lot of work.
The problem is that the iOS app/channel model is a really antiquated way of looking at video (or even audio) content that TiVO tore down over a decade ago now. A modern UI would put the content first and let the source be a secondary consideration but I doubt that is in the cards for ATV any time soon.
FWRLCK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 06:10 PM   #23
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
I have an AppleTV on each of my four tvs. We love it. I am pumped for a software update!!!

Well, I mean, I'm not that really pumped about it, but it would be nice.
I have a few ATV's myself. Software update is ok, only if they are not intent on force feeding App's and content I do not want and cannot remove from my menu's.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 06:13 PM   #24
bataa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Currently you can have multiple accounts on an Apple TV and right now my account is programmed on my friend's Apple TV and when I go to his house to catch up on certain shows he switches to my account and all my shows appear on his Apple TV to be streamed.

Apple TV update adds support for multiple iTunes accounts, shared Photo Streams
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/24/33...-photo-streams
True, but imagine a situation you don't want to give out your account info to somebody. Or going into any room with ATV and let it stream, while you're gone out of wifi range for coffee?
bataa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 06:13 PM   #25
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Any new watches?
Strap an Apple TV on your wrist - it’s not much bigger than Samsung’s smart phone. It won’t actually do anything, but neither will Samsung’s unless you have one specific phone.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion