Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appletv.jpg
Apple will not be debuting a new version of its Apple TV at next week's iPhone event, reports AllThingsD. Earlier this week, a "mysterious" set top box shipment from a new supplier suggested Apple could be planning to introduce an upgraded Apple TV, but it appears that the shipment likely consisted of existing hardware rather than a new product.
Despite speculation about new Apple TV hardware on the way, Apple won't be unveiling any new boxes next week, according to people familiar with the company's plans.

That said, the company will be tweaking the software inside its Web TV box. Apple has already said that it will be bringing its new iTunes Radio service to Apple TV. And it has been adding new content partners, including Disney and HBO, throughout the summer.
While testing beta versions of Mavericks and iOS 7, Apple has also been testing new Apple TV software. The 5.4 Apple TV update includes support for iTunes Radio and it also allows users to purchase music from the iTunes Store on the Apple TV. In addition, it includes a "Conference Room Mode" for business and academic settings, easier setup options, and multi-display support.

AllThingsD suggests that other software changes will be introduced as well, including a new AirPlay feature.
Sources say that one new feature in the works will let people who've bought content from Apple play that stuff on other users' Apple TVs, via Apple's Airplay system. So if you've bought a TV show or movie from Apple's iTunes store, you could watch it at a friend's house, by calling it up on your iPhone, and telling your friend's Apple TV to start streaming it.
Over the past several months, Apple has been working to fortify its Apple TV offerings and has introduced a number of new channels. WatchESPN, HBO GO, Sky News, Crunchyroll and Quello were added in June, and in August, Apple debuted new channels for Vevo, the Smithsonian, and Disney. Deals with TWC and The CW are also said to be in the works.

Apple's Apple TV update will likely debut alongside iOS 7, which is expected to be released to the public sometime after the September 10 iPhone event.

Article Link: No New Apple TV Coming Next Week, But Apple Will Upgrade Software

najkee

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Third party apps

I think Apple should open up the ATV for the app store... developers would help make that a revolutionary feature, like it was with the iPhone...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I hope that tweak includes an updated UI but my guess is we're stuck with the screen of glossy icons for a while. Sigh.

stigzy

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2008
Norway
Really understand that Apple doesnt need to upgrade the Apple TV. There really is no competition that can compare to how easy and good it works. All it need is just some software upgrade, and I'm happy!

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
"Sources say that one new feature in the works will let people who’ve bought content from Apple play that stuff on other users' Apple TVs, via Apple’s Airplay system. So if you’ve bought a TV show or movie from Apple’s iTunes store, you could watch it at a friend’s house, by calling it up on your iPhone, and telling your friend’s Apple TV to start streaming it."

Can't we already do this?

landroverz7

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Apple TV 4

And here I was hoping Apple will release an apple TV 4 with:
A6 or A7 dual core
gigabit ethernet port
802.11ac
16GB inbuilt ssd for new app store
usb 3.0 port for external hdd

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I have an AppleTV on each of my four tvs. We love it. I am pumped for a software update!!!

Well, I mean, I'm not that really pumped about it, but it would be nice.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I hope that tweak includes an updated UI but my guess is we're stuck with the screen of glossy icons for a while. Sigh.

I think it'll be updated. There will almost definitely be new iPod nanos with an iOS 7-like interface, Apple TV would look old/weird if it was the only thing that didn't change. It's also not a huge interface, wouldn't be a lot of work.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Darn it. I want one. Gonna hold out a few more days to see if refurbished models come back in stock. (They've been out for 2 weeks now.)

Bryan

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
I was hoping that version 3 would have been jailbroken by now. I'd like to stream my entire collection of videos from my NAS without having to convert them. Apple should open up Apple TV a bit like they did with the iPhone. Less reason to Jailbreak and more reason to get one for each TV set.

Would also like iPlayer and 4OD.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Any new watches?

Why is the Watch and an actual Apple TV two devices people all the sudden must have?

No. Currently you stream on your iphone/ipad and display on Apple TV. But now, you command your friend's Apple tv to stream directly on it.

Currently you can have multiple accounts on an Apple TV and right now my account is programmed on my friend's Apple TV and when I go to his house to catch up on certain shows he switches to my account and all my shows appear on his Apple TV to be streamed.

Apple TV update adds support for multiple iTunes accounts, shared Photo Streams
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/24/3...multiple-itunes-accounts-shared-photo-streams

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Can't we already do this?

I think what they're saying (I had to read that a couple of times...) is you can allocate a "temp license" to an Apple TV that doesn't use your same Apple ID, and it's not being AirPlayed from the "authorizing device". Possibly not even through WiFi, and just through the remote interface.

So once authorized, the friend's Apple TV just plays it directly from the iTunes stream up on Apple's servers, your device is done, and it probably plays once, or for a limited amount of time, almost like a VOD purchase.

Pretty cool.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Really understand that Apple doesnt need to upgrade the Apple TV. There really is no competition that can compare to how easy and good it works. All it need is just some software upgrade, and I'm happy!

Really? The Roku is huge competitor.

FWRLCK

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
I think it'll be updated. There will almost definitely be new iPod nanos with an iOS 7-like interface, Apple TV would look old/weird if it was the only thing that didn't change. It's also not a huge interface, wouldn't be a lot of work.

The problem is that the iOS app/channel model is a really antiquated way of looking at video (or even audio) content that TiVO tore down over a decade ago now. A modern UI would put the content first and let the source be a secondary consideration but I doubt that is in the cards for ATV any time soon.

bataa

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
Currently you can have multiple accounts on an Apple TV and right now my account is programmed on my friend's Apple TV and when I go to his house to catch up on certain shows he switches to my account and all my shows appear on his Apple TV to be streamed.

Apple TV update adds support for multiple iTunes accounts, shared Photo Streams
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/24/3...multiple-itunes-accounts-shared-photo-streams

True, but imagine a situation you don't want to give out your account info to somebody. Or going into any room with ATV and let it stream, while you're gone out of wifi range for coffee?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.