Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
The title of the thread is pretty explanatory. The feature has never worked for me since getting my iBook 2 months ago. I even tried configuring the hotkey to just command and d, and this wouldnt even work.

Any ideas? Its a feature I would love to use.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
Project said:
The title of the thread is pretty explanatory. The feature has never worked for me since getting my iBook 2 months ago. I even tried configuring the hotkey to just command and d, and this wouldnt even work.

Any ideas? Its a feature I would love to use.

Are you referring to the dictionary feature in Safari? Because if so I just right click. I didn't know there was a hotkey for dictionary.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
You probably need to activate the Popup menu via the dictionary preferences. So open dictionary.app and get preferences and set the contextual menu for dictionary panel. Also dictionary is not limited to safari but is able to be accessed from any cocoa application. And I am not aware of any hotkey for this action, but there probably is one associated with it.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
mad jew said:
So putting your cursor over a word and holding COMMAND-CONTROL-D does nothing? :(

wow, thats really cool, i hadnt realised that was a feature of tiger! i like it!:D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
This feature works in Safari and not Firefox. What app are you using?

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Peter Griffin said:
Are you referring to the dictionary feature in Safari? Because if so I just right click. I didn't know there was a hotkey for dictionary.

I mean the system wide popup feature. Right clicking is decent, but clumsy, having to highlight, rightclick and select search in dictionary. With the ctrl, cmd and d, its real simple. Plus you are supposed to be able to move your cursor over a number of words while the popup changes definitions automatically. But it doesnt work for me!

You probably need to activate the Popup menu via the dictionary preferences. So open dictionary.app and get preferences and set the contextual menu for dictionary panel. Also dictionary is not limited to safari but is able to be accessed from any cocoa application. And I am not aware of any hotkey for this action, but there probably is one associated with it.

Already checked Dictionarys preferences. And Panel was already selected.

So putting your cursor over a word and holding COMMAND-CONTROL-D does nothing?

Nope :mad:
his feature works in Safari and not Firefox. What app are you using?

Safari man. Ive tried it in most Cocoa apps on my system. Works with none of them. Its driving me crazy.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe try removing com.apple.Dictionary.plist from the Preferences folder. If it doesn't help, you can put it back and keep your old settings. ;)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
In Safari (or any Cocoa app), go to the Safari (app) menu, select Services, and see if there is an item in there labeled "Look Up in Dictionary". I believe that is what does the dictionary word lookup thingy.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Can you do a couple things for me please?

1) Open Activity monitor and type "applespell" in the search field. Do you find any entries for this daemon? It's the one that is responsible for that popup window, AFAIK.

2) Open Terminal and:

cd /system/library/services
ls -la

You should have a line like:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Mar 20 2005 AppleSpell.service

In particular, the series of characters drw... and the root and wheel should be exactly the same.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Can you do a couple things for me please?

1) Open Activity monitor and type "applespell" in the search field. Do you find any entries for this daemon? It's the one that is responsible for that popup window, AFAIK.

2) Open Terminal and:

cd /system/library/services
ls -la

You should have a line like:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Mar 20 2005 AppleSpell.service

In particular, the series of characters drw... and the root and wheel should be exactly the same.

Yep.

1. 306 AppleSpell Jamie 0.00 1 2.00 MB 37.74 MB

2. drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 May 17 2005 AppleSpell.service

What does this mean?

In Safari (or any Cocoa app), go to the Safari (app) menu, select Services, and see if there is an item in there labeled "Look Up in Dictionary". I believe that is what does the dictionary word lookup thingy.
Its there but its greyed out.

And removing the dictionary plist file has done nothing either.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Will Cheyney said:
The default keyboard shortcut for the dictionary is 'Apple, ctrl and D' (with a word selected).
Actually, you can hold that combo down and move your mouse around words, and it will update for each word. :cool:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Project said:
Yep.

1. 306 AppleSpell Jamie 0.00 1 2.00 MB 37.74 MB

2. drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 May 17 2005 AppleSpell.service

What does this mean?

It means, as far as I understand, that the system utility that should be giving you those windows exists, has the right permissions, and is running, but is not giving you the windows. :(

Wait...dumb question time...what is your system language? Does that make a difference? I'd be buggered if someone in the UK couldn't use the OED though. :p :(

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Project said:
Ive tried it in most Cocoa apps on my system. Works with none of them. Its driving me crazy.
A couple of ideas I didn't see while skimming through the answers:

Does it work if you're logged into another account on your Mac (make one if necessary)? If so, try ditching the pref file for the pop up dictionary daemon: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.PopupDictDaemon.plist (this is a strong suspect, regardless, by the way).

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
A quick suggestion – I had a similar problem with my Dictionary, but realised that the problem was caused by me moving it out of the Apps folder into a sub-folder (I'm very anally retentive when it comes to this sort of thing). I moved the app back into the main Apps folder where it was in the first place, and this solved the problem*– the pop-up feature started working again.

I don't know if you've moved the Dictionary app around, but if so it might be worthwhile moving it back and seeing if that helps any.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Wow...when I first got a Mac, I moved apps around, and it caused Software Update to not see them. And so I stopped and never did it again. :D But I had no idea the ramifications could be so far-reaching!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.