Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Sep 7, 2013, 01:04 PM   #1
mrboscombe
macrumors newbie

Capture card advice

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on what capture card to buy for streaming video.

I have a couple of cameras that I can use to film with (a JVC HM100 and a Panasonic Lumix GH1), and the plan is to run them via HDMI into a MacBook Pro (15-inch, late 2008, running OS 10.8.3).

Has anyone done anything similar?

I was looking at getting a Blackmagic Intensity card, but I've no idea if this will run properly on my MacBook or whether I'll need to buy anything other than the card to get this to run.

Any advice at all would be hugely appreciated. I'm completely new to streaming so don't feel you're teaching me how to suck eggs!
mrboscombe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 03:28 PM   #2
ipsychedelic
macrumors 6502a

I can only recommend the Hauppauge PVR (I have the older version, a new one came out last year or something). It's great, coupled with ElGato's EyeTV. Running on a 2011 Mini.

I wanted a Blackmagic but can't recall the issue back then (maybe it was only PCI-e and I needed USB in order to use it on my Mac?).
But I guess if in the end you want thunderbolt I believe Blackmagic has something for that (I think the problem was also price vs Hauppauge products?).

And I wouldn't grab anything too expensive nowadays. 1080p is bound to die and even if we'll get 4k TVs in 3/4 years or so... In my case I see no point on investing in this dying spec (not that people will keep on recording 1080p until 2065 or something, it's just I try to keep up-to-date as much as budget allows me to).
ipsychedelic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:17 AM   #3
mrboscombe
macrumors newbie

Thanks for that ipsychedelic. Very helpful - I'm really struggling to find people who can help out, so much appreciated.

Have you actually run a JVC HM100 through the Hauppauge PVR?
mrboscombe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:54 AM   #4
AcesHigh87
macrumors 6502a

Blackmagic Intensity's have come a long way. The original cards did need PCIe and that option is still available but they have externally enclosed ones that work via thunderbolt or USB and would work just as well. Personally I would suggest those over a Hauppage.

Take a look at their site and decide what will work best for you: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/intensity
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:54 AM   #5
ipsychedelic
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboscombe View Post
Thanks for that ipsychedelic. Very helpful - I'm really struggling to find people who can help out, so much appreciated.

Have you actually run a JVC HM100 through the Hauppauge PVR?
I've captured a t3i, if that is any good.
Another thing you can do is check YouTube videos that are captures via a given device to compare between models and brands (leaving aside the fact they might be captured in non optimal conditions or edited poorly, etc).
ipsychedelic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video