Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
As the topic states, what are you planning to do when that 5S comes out?

1- Are you jumping from Android to iPhone? (state current phone if possible)
2- Are you jumping from iPhone to another iPhone? (5S)
3- Are you going to jump off of iPhone to Android?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I don't know what Apple would have to do to get me to leave the iPhone but it would have to be pretty darn drastic. I'm pretty much ingrained into the Apple ecosystem at this point.

ukiss

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
Planning to jump from Android (Galaxy S2) to iPhone for the iTunes Store.
Yes, "Music/Movies on Google Play is not available in your country yet",
but the Note 3 seems really attractive.
Let's see what the 5S will offer then.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
More than like, I'll buy the next Nexus so that i can use it with my $30 T-Mobile plan. I never want to be tied to a contract again and I won't pay full price for an iPhone. I bought my first Android phone this year, a Nexus 4 but I still use my 4S too.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Nothing. I already jumped ship a week ago. iPhone 5 to HTC One and I couldn't be any happier with the device :D

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I sold my iPhone 4S a few months ago and bought an HTC One.

Here's what Apple needs to do to make me consider switching back:

• Open up iOS and allow widgits, 3rd party keyboards, theming, etc.
  • Allow users to select default apps. I don't want URLs from emails to open in Safari. I don't want location links to open in Apple Maps.
  • Offer a file system.
  • Offer a larger screen.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I switched to Android from iOS in July. I wanted a larger screen and widgets. Got a HTC One and I really like it.

Last edited:

Timely7

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
iPhone 6 with a larger screen will cause a lot of current Android users to jump ship to iOS

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
OP, you need a few more options:

4: Stay with existing iPhone
5: Stay with existing non iOS device

I stopped using an iPhone earlier this year and am now using an HTC One. I have my sights on a few other devices, none of which are from Apple. ;)

This post pretty much sums up my feelings about ever returning to an iPhone.

I sold my iPhone 4S a few months ago and bought an HTC One.

Here's what Apple needs to do to make me consider switching back:

• Open up iOS and allow widgits, 3rd party keyboards, theming, etc.
  • Allow users to select default apps. I don't want URLs from emails to open in Safari. I don't want location links to open in Apple Maps.
  • Offer a file system.
  • Offer a larger screen.

I don't know what Apple would have to do to get me to leave the iPhone but it would have to be pretty darn drastic. I'm pretty much ingrained into the Apple ecosystem at this point.

This argument really doesn't hold water any longer. Boomhower, I'd bet my home has far more Apple device (Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPod, Apple TV, Airport devices, etc) and is firmly planted in the Apple ecosystem yet I have no problem continuing to interact with any/all of them via my Android devices. Yes, you may have to repurchase some apps but my guess is if you can afford to drop $199-399 on a new phone, rebuying a few apps shouldn't break the bank. You'll also find that many apps that cost money on iOS are free on Android.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
You can always own both ... no reason to fuel the iOS vs. Android camp.
Note that I chose the OS names, I don"t care about hardware specs anymore.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This argument really doesn't hold water any longer. Boomhower, I'd bet my home has far more Apple device (Macs, iPhones, iPads, iPod, Apple TV, Airport devices, etc) and is firmly planted in the Apple ecosystem yet I have no problem continuing to interact with any/all of them via my Android devices. Yes, you may have to repurchase some apps but my guess is if you can afford to drop $199-399 on a new phone, rebuying a few apps shouldn't break the bank. You'll also find that many apps that cost money on iOS are free on Android.

I have to agree with all of this. I, too, have all Mac products at home and both my android phone and tablet talk nicely with everything.

Yet one more talking point against android diminishing.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
iPhone 6 with a larger screen will cause a lot of current Android users to jump ship to iOS

I have no doubt about this and it will be a nice day when Apple finally offers some larger screen options, but for me, it's gotten to a point where that isn't enough.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and find no difficulty in integrating it with my MBP and iPad Mini. I can not see me switching back to an iPhone for a considerable time. :)

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Bought a Nexus 7 to try yesterday. Really like it but my dependancey on the apple ecosystem is making it hard to leave. I do like Android though. Going to have to see what Apple does with the 5S. I'll stay if they include NFC and if the fingerprint technology looks good.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
i switched from an iphone 5 to the S4 and will be getting the note 3 too.

I'm now tempted to sell my ipad 2 and get the galaxy note 10.1 to go with my galaxy note 8.0 too. so yes i'm almost completely dumped apple completely.

only reason why i may not sell my ipad 2 is to see IOS 7 and what it's like.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I've got a GS3 that I currently use, and was planning on upgrading to the Note 3. However now that it's been released, I'm not so sure I want it anymore. I might just get a 5S. The OS is more reliable, and I'm not sure that I want a phablet anymore. I still might get a Note 3, but I'm definitely watching closely come Tuesday. :cool:

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I tried a Sony Xperia TL, didn't like it too much, I'm sticking with Android on my tablet. I might buy a Lumia 521 to try out WP8, but otherwise I'm sticking with my iPhone.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Switched to Android and a Note 2 a few months ago, and I don't see myself going back in the foreseeable future.

I've never been less excited about iPhones than right now. I'm definitely getting the Note 3, and with Samsung constantly upping their game I can't even imagine what Apple could realistically do to make things really interesting for me again, even in the perspective of several years.

For tablets I'll be forced to give Windows a try because I need a tablet/laptop hybrid and the Lenovo hardware on the ThinkPad Yoga will be impossible for me to pass up. I'd be very keen on getting the latest Note 10.1 from Samsung as well, because that split window really rocks and makes that tablet a real choice for productivity/work tasks. I can see the new Scrapbook app being extremely useful too.

So yeah, I'm extremely pleased with Android so far and it looks like things are only getting better. I used to spend all my time drooling over Apple products but I honestly can't even remember what that was like anymore.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy

I highly doubt this, as the bigger screen is just one thing an android user is used to.
Much left for Apple to make it happen.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
apple need to do more than just get a 6 inch screen...there are plenty of other factors they need to change. for alot it works but it's too restricting to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.