Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I've never been a huge fan of the clamshell's but recently came across this modded, multi-coloured one & have fallen in love with it! At £160 that's getting a little bit ridiculous & justify dumping that much into a machine that'll I simply stare at.

After a quick search around there seems to be more than one that have given the transparent idea go. This tangerine clamshell looks gorgeous!

I seem to very vaguely remember this topic popping up a couple of years ago - I seem to remember reading that the 'white' can be simply removed from the polycarbonate. Is this the case?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Looks cool, but I'm suspicious. Not one of the pictures showed the clamshell with the screen on. Now, even if it doesn't work it's still a great looking piece of art, but I was expecting to see a running Mac in the link.

As to your question on polycarbonite, I saw a mod for a guy doing a white iBook a while back. He said that the early models simply had paint over transparent plastic, but that the later revisions actually used opaque plastic.

Maybe that's the case here?

Still cool though, even if there is no proof that it works.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The clamshells use white-ish/frosted paint inside of them. They work fine, but have rather bad backlight bleeding. I often wish I could do this to a white Macbook.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I've never been a huge fan of the clamshell's but recently came across this modded, multi-coloured one & have fallen in love with it! At £160 that's getting a little bit ridiculous & justify dumping that much into a machine that'll I simply stare at.

After a quick search around there seems to be more than one that have given the transparent idea go. This tangerine clamshell looks gorgeous!

I seem to very vaguely remember this topic popping up a couple of years ago - I seem to remember reading that the 'white' can be simply removed from the polycarbonate. Is this the case?

As far as I can remember, this can be done even up to the iBook G3s. I think some of the G4s could be modded this way but I think the transition from the G3 to the G4 also came with an actual white polycarbonate shell that could not be removed.

I personally like this one:

Tronbook

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
As far as I can remember, this can be done even up to the iBook G3s. I think some of the G4s could be modded this way but I think the transition from the G3 to the G4 also came with an actual white polycarbonate shell that could not be removed.

I personally like this one:

Tronbook

Thanks for the link.

I have a 500MHz dual-USB iBook lying around not doing much & it looks like a relatively simple process. I'm tempted!

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Thanks for the link.

I have a 500MHz dual-USB iBook lying around not doing much & it looks like a relatively simple process. I'm tempted!

Then do it!! I was looking for iBook G3 parts because they were compatible with the G4(the top and bottom case were anyway) and I was going to do that with my 12" G4. Now if I could just find 14" G3 parts(hard to find a machine at all), then my 14" would be made clear.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
The 700MHz iBook G3 has the white mixed into the plastic like all the G4's and MacBooks. However the 500MHz iBook G3 I had was one where it was painted on the plastic from the back. I'd love to make a transparent one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.