Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonnaB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
Hello there,

Could someone share their knowledge with me please?

I am in training for the removal of malware on Windows OS's and presently helping an OP that has a very nasty ransome trojan on their system. He is concerned that he may have infected his iPod that he forgot to disconnect from the network as he ran a few scans while the laptop was connected via safe mode with networking. Personally, I do not think that a windows infection can intrude upon an iPod OS but I'd like to be confidant with my reply when I tell the young man he has nothing to worry about.

Please. Do not give me negative feedback about being a windows user or try to encourage me to go mac. I have nothing against a mac personally and if I had the extra money at the moment I would purchase one for myself. It just so happens that all the windows computer I have were given to me.

Thank you kindly for your assistance.

Donna :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
To the malware, the iPod is just a big USB flash drive. You can remove it by restoring the iPod in iTunes. Just note that what ever computer you use to restore it may get infected as well. If possible, restore it on a blank computer or a computer that you will wipe afterwards. You could restore it once on a Mac to remove the malware, then restore it again on a clean Windows machine to reformat the iPod for Windows.

DonnaB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
the iPod is just a big USB flash drive.
Really?

Then my thoughts were true that the iPod could be inserted into a windows computer while pressing the shift key to disable autorun then right clicking to scan the iPod with an on board AV as you could with a USB flash drive?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes, non-iOS based iPods are simply fancy USB hard drives. If you enable disk mode through iTunes, it'll show up in My Computer. But depending on how smart the malware is, disk mode doesn't need to be enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.