Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
I was planning on purchasing an iPad 5 or iPad Mini 2 (when released) from Amazon. My question is, does Apple cover new iPads bought from 3rd party retailers with the standard 1 year warranty?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I was planning on purchasing an iPad 5 or iPad Mini 2 (when released) from Amazon. My question is, does Apple cover new iPads bought from 3rd party retailers with the standard 1 year warranty?

Yes. If you buy from Amazon or a reputable third party retail outlet, you get the same cover you would if you bought through Apple.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Only difference is if you want to return the device -- if you buy from Amazon, you have to return to Amazon. Apple does not accept returns on devices not bought from Apple, but they will provide warranty service.

So if you simply decide you don't like it, you have to return to Amazon, and this can be more difficult than a return to Apple.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Amazon doesn't sell iPads directly. Only sellers on amazon. I'd either buy directly from apple or another direct retailer.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Amazon doesn't sell iPads directly. Only sellers on amazon. I'd either buy directly from apple or another direct retailer.

Thanks Macman, old-wiz, and OneMike. You see, I traded in my older iPad to Amazon for a gift card, so I can only use the money for an Amazon purchase. I was just worried because someone had written a review for the 3rd or 4th gen iPad, saying the retailer sent them a used iPad in brand new packaging (he found this out when he was trying to register through iCloud).

That shouldn't be too much of a problem if I order on the first day though, right?

peterlily

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
yes,i think so,. I'd either buy directly from apple or another direct retailer. thanks
8v

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.