Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
So, I have been using an ipad 3 sparingly for over a year. And to my conclusion that device don't fit in my ecosystem. Ipad was what i wanted not what I needed.. I never took it outside .. aahh it was too heavy a ipad.. I cant type comfortably while holding it neither i can watch videos or read on it for long time. I dont game much.. And forget about the usage in bed this thing gave me serious pain to the wrists.. Tried the ipad mini but its experience almost same as iphone 5 while latter being the more lighter:D

I believe that iphone 5 best suffices my portable IOS needs.. and at home mix usage of MBP 13 with SSD and iphone 5 suits me well.:) Browsing on iphone 5 screen really dont hurt much.;)

Anyone who feels the same.??

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
So, I have been using an ipad 3 sparingly for over a year. And to my conclusion that device don't fit in my ecosystem. Ipad was what i wanted not what I needed.. I never took it outside .. aahh it was too heavy a ipad.. I cant type comfortably while holding it neither i can watch videos or read on it for long time. I dont game much.. And forget about the usage in bed this thing gave me serious pain to the wrists.. Tried the ipad mini but its experience almost same as iphone 5 while latter being the more lighter:D

I believe that iphone 5 best suffices my portable IOS needs.. and at home mix usage of MBP 13 with SSD and iphone 5 suits me well.:) Browsing on iphone 5 screen really dont hurt much.;)

Anyone who feels the same.??

I have done the same but for different reasons. I too believe that having an iPhone is enough. I prefer using OS X for everything else...

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
You're probably in the minority. I like iOS enough to want it as big as I can get it while at home. There's nothing like sitting outside reading the news on your ipad

Reactions: Billy95Tech

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Hmmm...interesting! I seem to have picked up my slackened pace of reading after acquiring the iPad. Is it heavy? Well, it is weighty as compared to the Nexus 10, but - for me - the benefits at the moment outweigh the drawback. Having said that and coming from a Win background the file-system (or lack of it) in iOS is a bit disconcerting, but again, its nothing that can't be gotten used to. For me the iPad is quite an appealing complementary aid to my work-flow.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sorry it didn't work out for you, OP. But I suppose this iPad isn't for everyone, and that's ok. You mentioned, however, you had trouble holding the iPad, and I guess that's due to expectations. Sure, the iPad is heavy compared to an iPhone, but it's lighter than most hard covered books. So basically, with the iPad, I can carry hundreds of books with me to read wherever I want, whereas before, I could usually bring only one, at most two. Obviously, if I want to just read books, then a dedicated ereader like the kindle is even lighter, but with an iPad, I can also surf the Internet, do email, play some games, etc. if you are satisfied with the iPhone for all this, good for you, but my eyes are not getting any younger, so I appreciate the extra space on the iPad. So nothing wrong with you preferring the iPhone, probably just means you've got good eyes! ;)

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
I have done the same but for different reasons. I too believe that having an iPhone is enough. I prefer using OS X for everything else...

Same here.

I tried to be hip make an iPad work for me as my one and only "computer" (with logitech ultra thin bt keyboard). Way way waaaaaay too many compromises.

Eventually I gave up and took the easy way out: I bought a Haswell Macbook Air and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by a moderator:

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I'm in the middle. I really want the ipad mini, with a retina screen, and phone capabilities.

That would be my one device to rule them all.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I go back and forth between do I need (fill in the blank) or not?

When I travel a lot, I definitely appreciate having a laptop and an iPad. However, when at home/not traveling a lot, my iPad gets the most use, followed by my desktop, with the laptop the least use.

It all depends on the situation and your use/workflow. If I cut any one device out, though, I would seriously be kicking myself, and then cursing at the price of a new one.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
These are all reasons why one cannot ditch their Imac or Macbook to live on a Ipad. For me the ipad is still great and fits great in a bag but for typing reports and complex tasks asserting graphs etc the macbook is a winner.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My wife lives on her iPad, and hardly ever uses the iMac. But then she is mostly shopping or light gaming.
I could live without the iPad (as I hardly get on either in our house) as I prefer the iMac for proper work, photo editing etc.
our iPads never leave the house either.
My wife has an iRest for using her iPad as it gets heavy after a while.

To the OP, maybe the iPad mini would suit your needs?

hbksabhi

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
i feel similar to OP .
i have a Macbook Air 13 and love it .. awesome battery , performance and everything ...
i have a ipad mini too , i love its form factor and i had it 3 months prior to MBA 13 and after buying the MBA i dont like ipad as much . reasons are
1. it hurts after a hour or two of usage in bed
2. screen its the best
3. i have another solution as i connect mba in clamshell mode to my 40 inch tv and browse the web and do the bed time stuff using wireless mouse

i am going to buy the iphone 5s and ipad mini with retina display is a must buy .
whenever i use iphone 5 (my brothers) and imagine that quality display on whole 7.9 inches , it makes me smile :)

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I'm in the middle. I really want the ipad mini, with a retina screen, and phone capabilities.

That would be my one device to rule them all.

Yup, an iOS equivalent of the Galaxy Note would be my dream device too. Shame Apple seem to be sticking to the ridiculous 4" display.

----------

I could live without my iPad but I love it for gaming too much - the quality of the iOS titles at such a low price point is a dream for me as a gamer. I have the 3rd gen which is too heavy for day to day use for more than an hour (fiance has now commandeered that anyway as she doesn't have a PC) but the mini is the perfect trade off.

MacBook is perfect for everything but those times when you just wanna chill in bed or on the sofa the iPad mini is the perfect in between. I don't agree with the iPhone 5 is good enough thing - by the time you have two thumbs on the screen you lose 70% of visibility, rendering it pretty much useless.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
So, basically you're making a case for a 5" iPhone.

I, on the other hand, don't experience any of these problems, because I just lay my iPad on a flat surface/pillow and/or stand it up with the Smartcover - it seems like you're holding it wrong, and by that I mean holding it at all.

Frankly, I'm more interested in a 13" iPad Pro instead.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
My wife lives on her iPad, and hardly ever uses the iMac. But then she is mostly shopping or light gaming.
I could live without the iPad (as I hardly get on either in our house) as I prefer the iMac for proper work, photo editing etc.
our iPads never leave the house either.
My wife has an iRest for using her iPad as it gets heavy after a while.

To the OP, maybe the iPad mini would suit your needs?

I tried the ipad mini ..
one aspect-- it was lighter and screen was pathetic...i clearly cant stand how one can adjust to non retina after being spoiled by it..
2nd -- i guess do i really need a ipad now...after such a sour experience with ipad 3.. It was not used outside home and inside it felt too limited..

For me iphone 5 is a great portable as it just slids into pocket well..no need for any bag :D
Also, what can i achieve more with ipad if its powered by same ios as in iphone..making it redundant for me.. Also, My Mbp 13 at home is ages faster with a SSD now..and much more versatile than any tablet...

Lastly, if i can justify to burn my cash on ipad mini retina just for couch surfing and use in bed...we will see..
..I am a huge apple fan but i think the people are awestruck by the ipad thanks to apple's awesome and hysterical marketing..

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It doesn't have to do with marketing. It's the fact that most of the people who jumped to the iPad were Windows users who otherwise would have bought a $400-600 laptop to replace their previous machine. The kind who were just going to need things like browsing, Facebook, and Netflix, plus maybe some word processing.

Would you really replace a MacBook Air and Pro with an iPad? Probably not. I carry both an iPad Mini AND a MacBook Pro together. The iPad is my calculator, instrument, book, drawing tablet, among other stuff. And I usually use it at the same time as pen and paper, and the MacBook Pro. It's basically a companion tool.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Does anyone feel the same? Do a search and you'll find like-minded members telling the same cool story. You'll see the iPad defended just as much, more even. I like mine so no, I don't feel the same.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
It doesn't have to do with marketing. It's the fact that most of the people who jumped to the iPad were Windows users who otherwise would have bought a $400-600 laptop to replace their previous machine. The kind who were just going to need things like browsing, Facebook, and Netflix, plus maybe some word processing.

Would you really replace a MacBook Air and Pro with an iPad? Probably not. I carry both an iPad Mini AND a MacBook Pro together. The iPad is my calculator, instrument, book, drawing tablet, among other stuff. And I usually use it at the same time as pen and paper, and the MacBook Pro. It's basically a companion tool.

Well, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas." ;)

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Yup, an iOS equivalent of the Galaxy Note would be my dream device too. Shame Apple seem to be sticking to the ridiculous 4" display.

I wouldn't call it ridiculous. Remember, the goal is to give 90% of the people 90% of what they need. That's just smart business. I know I'm a unique case wanting to call on my iPad Mini. The case will be when facetime goes to both video and audio only calls. I'll use the mini as the phone, LTE connection so it's always on, and in turn be able to call about 95% of everyone I deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas." ;)

That remark didn't make any sense. Nobody said "if." It's fine that *you* don't feel the need for an iPad, and nobody is forcing you to use one. But other people do find the iPad useful. Like I said before, if you find the iPhone as good as the iPad, then a big part of the reason is that you probably have good eyesight. I know when I try to browse the web on my iPhone, I'm constantly zooming in so I can see things, while on the iPad I can read without zooming in. So for me, an iPad is a better experience than the iPhone. There is no if or but here -- I just have a different situation than you do.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
That remark didn't make any sense. Nobody said "if." It's fine that *you* don't feel the need for an iPad, and nobody is forcing you to use one. But other people do find the iPad useful. Like I said before, if you find the iPhone as good as the iPad, then a big part of the reason is that you probably have good eyesight. I know when I try to browse the web on my iPhone, I'm constantly zooming in so I can see things, while on the iPad I can read without zooming in. So for me, an iPad is a better experience than the iPhone. There is no if or but here -- I just have a different situation than you do.

Hey.. I respect your opinion... as for me i have to zoom rarely as i use the reader in safari most of the times to read news.. or just use landscape in safari or mail etc. to view the data.. But thats just me....

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
These are all reasons why one cannot ditch their Imac or Macbook to live on a Ipad. For me the ipad is still great and fits great in a bag but for typing reports and complex tasks asserting graphs etc the macbook is a winner.

I ditched my MacBook and never looked back. The iPad isn't all things to all people. Some, like my wife who is a CPA, can't use it at her job. Heck, she can't even use a mac at her job. I, as an educator/lecturer, can.

Be careful of over generalizations.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Yes - I have a home full of Apple devices and yes, I am considering my next move to be away from some of the Apple products.

Both the iPhone and iPad are brilliant pieces of engineering but alas, Apple insists on form over function with its (I)OS. There are many of us who do not have perfect vision and Apple decides to continue a path where some of the text on the screen should remain in very very small fonts. I found it amusing but sad that even the iPad continues this path with all of its grand screen real estate.

While some areas can be modified, some cannot. This is a fact, a reality and a very stupid oversight by Apple.

My wish list - offer at least two obviously different font sizes for all screens and adjust the screens accordingly. Example - if someone prefers, allow them 3x3 icons on their phone screen with larger text rather than the 4x4. Nothing is worse than having to put on glasses every time one gets mail or has to do a simple search.

Apple likes to consider their systems sophisticated (which they are) yet ideal for the masses. For the latter, they are not.

Now off to go and look for acceptable non-Apple counterparts. I don't like leaving the Apple family but they seem not to care enough to provide something as obvious as making the screens fast and easy to read.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I went the other way. I've hit a nice balance with Android for my phones, iOS for my tablets. I use OSX for the heavier tasks. I think iOS is great for home stuff, and I use the Apple TV a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.