Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uncdwm

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
I currently have an AT&T family talk plan with 1 blackberry and 1 dump phone and pay ~$130/mth all in for 1400min with a business premier discount, too many rollover minutes to count, and 1000 regular texts/mth on the one phone (not picture messages). I plan to upgrade my Blackberry to the iPhone 5S when it comes out.

I chatted with an AT&T rep online and they said I can upgrade to the 5S and keep my unlimited data plan as long as I don't change rate plans to the Mobile Share. However, I have a couple questions to help me decide if I should keep my unlimited data or switch to the new Mobile Share Plans which will save some money...

1) How do I actually purchase the iPhone and switch if I want to upgrade and keep same rate plan? Directly through Apple, call AT&T and order, etc.? Are there benefits of going through Apple vs. AT&T (taxes, price, availability/wait time, etc.)?

2) Does my old unlimited data plan include free tethering/hotspot? My blackberry didn't have that option but the iPhone does, don't think they can only provide tethering/hotspot if I switch to Mobile Share Plan?

3) The unlmited talk and text includes picture messages? I end up paying a couple extra bucks on my bill when people send me picture messages, and this month I went $5-10 over on regular texts too even though I pay $15 for the 1000 texts plus the dumb phone doesn't have a text plan

4) It will be about the same price or actually somewhat cheaper for us to switch to the Mobile Share plan get get 2gb-4gb of data but also includes unlimited texting for both phones. Does it make sense to keep my unlimited data (don't use that much now but I have a crappy blackberry) or switch to the Mobile Share plan?

5) When AT&T says I can keep my data plan, I can upgrade with the subsidized price vs. having to pay full retail right (assuming same as it was for the iPhone 5)?

paulyeo

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
1) How do I actually purchase the iPhone and switch if I want to upgrade and keep same rate plan? Directly through Apple, call AT&T and order, etc.? Are there benefits of going through Apple vs. AT&T (taxes, price, availability/wait time, etc.)?

2) Does my old unlimited data plan include free tethering/hotspot? My blackberry didn't have that option but the iPhone does, don't think they can only provide tethering/hotspot if I switch to Mobile Share Plan?

3) The unlmited talk and text includes picture messages? I end up paying a couple extra bucks on my bill when people send me picture messages, and this month I went $5-10 over on regular texts too even though I pay $15 for the 1000 texts plus the dumb phone doesn't have a text plan

4) It will be about the same price or actually somewhat cheaper for us to switch to the Mobile Share plan get get 2gb-4gb of data but also includes unlimited texting for both phones. Does it make sense to keep my unlimited data (don't use that much now but I have a crappy blackberry) or switch to the Mobile Share plan?

5) When AT&T says I can keep my data plan, I can upgrade with the subsidized price vs. having to pay full retail right (assuming same as it was for the iPhone 5)?

1. You can purchase the iPhone at any Apple and AT&T store/online. You will be able to keep the same rate plan (grandfathered unlimited data). I've always had my phone on launch day via ordering directly from Apple.com

2. The AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan doesn't include personal hotspot. You can only get personal hotspot via mobile share plan if you're on a family plan.

3. You could get the 700 minutes family plan, and add the $30 unlimited family messaging plan including pics AND unlimited mobile to any mobile. it would save you some money and you get unlimited mobile to any mobile calling.

4. read #3

5. once your contract is up, you can upgrade to any phone and keep the unlimited data plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.