Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandman512

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
So, I purchased my first Macbook Pro and have running via my Airport Extreme Router with an 1TB HD hooked up to it. I can see the the external HD and all the folders I created on the HD. The problem is the photo folder. When I go to view the pictures in there, it is empty. I transferred everything out of it, reformatted it and put everything back in, no problems. It was working fine and then it did it again, no pictures. Any advice? THANKS!

*Batman*

Contributor
Oct 2, 2012
Gotham City
Are the permissions for the photos folder set properly? Are they in iPhoto format or just pictures in a folder when you're trying to view them?

sandman512

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Are the permissions for the photos folder set properly? Are they in iPhoto format or just pictures in a folder when you're trying to view them?

First, thanks for reply batman, much appreciated. Have to be honest, I have no idea about permissions. Second, they are just pictures in a folder. The problem is that when I access the HD, sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not. Strange. Thanks!

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I've encountered the same issue when accessing shared drives at my work. I usually just unmount, then re-mount the drive and it's fixed. You can do this from disk utility by using the "Mount/Unmount" button.

Personally, I never had the patience for the airport extreme HD setup. I much prefer hooking drives to a Mac that is always on and accessible, like a server or dedicated desktop.

sandman512

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
I've encountered the same issue when accessing shared drives at my work. I usually just unmount, then re-mount the drive and it's fixed. You can do this from disk utility by using the "Mount/Unmount" button.

Personally, I never had the patience for the airport extreme HD setup. I much prefer hooking drives to a Mac that is always on and accessible, like a server or dedicated desktop.

Thanks for the reply. I actually had to erase/reformat twice, but it seems to be working now. If it acts up again, I'll try your way. Thanks again!

*Batman*

Contributor
Oct 2, 2012
Gotham City
First, thanks for reply batman, much appreciated. Have to be honest, I have no idea about permissions. Second, they are just pictures in a folder. The problem is that when I access the HD, sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not. Strange. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I actually had to erase/reformat twice, but it seems to be working now. If it acts up again, I'll try your way. Thanks again!

I'm glad you were able to get it resolved. too bad it took formatting to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.