Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has released a "mandatory" update to its Kindle app for iOS devices, informing users that not updating the app to the latest version may cause a loss of books and account registration upon upgrade to Apple's upcoming iOS 7 mobile operating system.

kindle_ios-800x473.jpg
This is a fix for a Kindle issue with the upcoming iOS7 OS upgrade that may cause customers to have to re-register and re-download books from Amazon. Please download and install - this is a required update before upgrading to iOS7.
iOS 7 is expected to be released shortly after the announcement of Apple's refreshed iPhone line at the company's media event tomorrow, with the updated operating system featuring a new design and numerous other tweaks. Kindle is a free app and can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Amazon Pushes Mandatory Update for Kindle iOS App Ahead of iOS 7 Launch

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Good for Amazon, really. They're proactively telling people to update so we don't lose our books. I can respect that. I wish it had come slightly sooner than the 11th hour so folks can see these articles posted on the web, but better late than never.

Edit: I just checked and I'm not being forced to update when the app launches on my iPad 3 running iOS 6 but it does show in updates through the app store.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Good for Amazon, really. They're proactively telling people to update so we don't lose our books. I can respect that. I wish it had come slightly sooner than the 11th hour so folks can see these articles posted on the web, but better late than never.

Edit: I just checked and I'm not being forced to update when the app launches on my iPad 3 running iOS 6 but it does show in updates through the app store.

Yeah, nice to see Amazon proactive. Although it's still probably another week or so away so hopefully people should get to know about it before iOS7 launched to the general public. The GM seed is likely to be available tomorrow but not the public version.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The wording in this article is a bit misleading and alarmist. I wouldn't consider having to type in your username and password and download books again the same as "a loss of books and account registration".

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
BTW, I have been using the Beta's including Beta 6 and have not been able to download books for weeks. Even after updating I still had the problem of "Download" error on all books.

But once I went into settings and deregistered my iPad 3 and then re-registered it all is well again. So you may have to take this step to get it working again. I did.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
The sick part is that companies like Amazon and Apple are not offering legacy support so books and other media you buy will be lost to you when they decide to upgrade to the new hardware/OS and leave you behind. These companies have monopolies on their data sets and should be required by law to continue supporting all the old hardware and OSs.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
The sick part is that companies like Amazon and Apple are not offering legacy support so books and other media you buy will be lost to you when they decide to upgrade to the new hardware/OS and leave you behind. These companies have monopolies on their data sets and should be required by law to continue supporting all the old hardware and OSs.

How do you figure that? Every book I've purchased from Apple still works on my old iPhone 3GS, on the iPad 2 and the iBooks app on Mavericks. Nothing I bought in the past is inaccessible to me.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
How do you figure that? Every book I've purchased from Apple still works on my old iPhone 3GS, on the iPad 2 and the iBooks app on Mavericks. Nothing I bought in the past is inaccessible to me.

He's going on about how if someone is stuck on iOS 5 or 6 at one point, that the Kindle software won't be installable down the road on those devices after a few updates.

Spotify overcame this by keeping a separate iOS 4 app for download.

If you're serious about eBooks, you'll want to look into Calibre. Not just to protect your investment into them, but so you're not stuck to using one app to read them. I use Freda+ on my Windows Phone, Marvin on my iPad, and iBooks/Kitabu on Mavericks.

It also gives you a wider choice in device selection. You don't have to stick to Amazon Kindles, Nooks, Kobos, etc.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA

I think that's why "mandatory" is in quotation marks. It's just something Amazon is saying you need to do, not something they're enforcing. And that's good, since not everyone running the latest app on iOS 6 will be upgrading to iOS 7 anyway.

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
If we're really going to be pedantic...

The term was "iOS 7 OS upgrade".

The "OS" belongs with "upgrade", not with "iOS 7".

The "OS upgrade" known as iOS 7.

There's no redundancy here.

Mmm, yes, I do see what you mean...

So saying "iOS 7 upgrade" doesn't work because everyone is still on iOS 6...? Or would that phrase never technically work?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
"Requires iOS 5.0 or later"... Thus shutting out my iPhone 3G.

Mandatory upgrades should not shut out devices to retain existing functionality. Period.

Lobstrosity

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
"Requires iOS 5.0 or later"... Thus shutting out my iPhone 3G.

Mandatory upgrades should not shut out devices to retain existing functionality. Period.

Wait, what are you complaining about? The update is necessary if going to iOS7. I don't think you're doing that on your 3G.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I think that's why "mandatory" is in quotation marks. It's just something Amazon is saying you need to do, not something they're enforcing. And that's good, since not everyone running the latest app on iOS 6 will be upgrading to iOS 7 anyway.

Still, am I the only one somewhat leery about so-called "mandatory" updates, where under the guise of necessity, possibly other functionality mainly serving them, is added? Nah… we'll just have to trust them.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Wait, what are you complaining about? The update is necessary if going to iOS7. I don't think you're doing that on your 3G.

Okay, misread that to say it applies to ALL Kindle app users. *whew*. (the 3G isn't my primary phone, but it when going on trips, I use it for reading since in Airplane mode the battery lasts a long time.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.