Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Sep 9, 2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Iamthinking
macrumors regular

iOS 7 Brightness control in quick panel hard to use

Hi,

Does anyone else feel that the screen brightness control in the bottom quick access panel is not very "real world" useable?

EG., When I access the panel to tweak the brightness of the screen I'm reading (perhaps it's an all-white bg, etc.) the whole screen goes much darker (by design) - rendering my brightness tweak a "wild guess". This is akin to setting volume levels with no tactile feedback (i.e. no sound while adjusting).

Seems like a real basic UI mistake, or am I missing something??

Thanks.
Iamthinking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2013, 02:38 PM   #2
MinEderPlayz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthinking View Post
Hi,

Does anyone else feel that the screen brightness control in the bottom quick access panel is not very "real world" useable?

EG., When I access the panel to tweak the brightness of the screen I'm reading (perhaps it's an all-white bg, etc.) the whole screen goes much darker (by design) - rendering my brightness tweak a "wild guess". This is akin to setting volume levels with no tactile feedback (i.e. no sound while adjusting).

Thanks.
You talking about iPad? Just use the control center by itself as a reference. On iPhone FYI you can do so as well.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
ktekee
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
It gets hard when you first start doing it, but you get used to it after a few times
ktekee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
You're not missing anything. I logged in to post the very same thing. Searched and found your thread.

I can't believe Apple made such an obvious usability gaffe. They'd better fix it fast before the media have a field day: "iOS 7 dims the screen while you adjust brightness!"

What next, muting the volume while you adjust it?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:19 AM   #5
bbfc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
You're not missing anything. I logged in to post the very same thing. Searched and found your thread.

I can't believe Apple made such an obvious usability gaffe. They'd better fix it fast before the media have a field day: "iOS 7 dims the screen while you adjust brightness!"

What next, muting the volume while you adjust it?
You are being sarcastic, right?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:23 AM   #6
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfc View Post
You are being sarcastic, right?
Not at all.

Have you tried adjusting the brightness in an iPhone in car at night? Or on an ipad while trying to read a magazine in a dim room? Like the op said, the whole screen dims while the control panel is up, you adjust brightness, dismiss the control panel and then the whole screen brightens automatically. It's a complete crap shoot. Try it
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:24 AM   #7
bbfc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Not at all.

Have you tried adjusting the brightness in an iPhone in car at night? Or on an ipad while trying to read a magazine in a dim room? Like the op said, the whole screen dims while the control panel is up, you adjust brightness, dismiss the control panel and then the whole screen brightens automatically. It's a complete crap shoot. Try it
Stays dim for me. How about turing off auto-brightness?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:52 AM   #8
FranksWildYears
macrumors regular

The screen behind the control panel dims slightly, command centre itself will remain at the level of the brightness setting, and can be used as a frame of reference.
FranksWildYears is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfc View Post
Stays dim for me. How about turing off auto-brightness?
Good idea. Tried it, but no deal. (I'm on an iPhone 4S and ipad 4, btw. What devices are you using?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksWildYears View Post
The screen behind the control panel dims slightly, command centre itself will remain at the level of the brightness setting, and can be used as a frame of reference.
I'd dispute the term "slightly". It's quite marked on my ipad. That makes it the wrong frame of reference. Command center's mid grey background with black graphics is not the same as black text on a white page.

On the iPhone it's even worse. Command center completely obscures the content I'm trying to adjust.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:21 AM   #10
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Im not sure what the issue is. When I pull up control center a 1/4 of the screen is visible when adjusting brightness. I use that as a reference. Were's the issue?
JohnLT13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
Im not sure what the issue is. When I pull up control center a 1/4 of the screen is visible when adjusting brightness. I use that as a reference. Were's the issue?
I'm guessing you're on an iPhone 5 with a longer screen? Hence you can still see some of your content? That said, the entire screen of my iPhone 4S dims when control center is up. Does it not do that on your 5?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:46 AM   #12
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Interesting... I'm not seeing what everyone is reporting minus pretty clear
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:55 AM   #13
bbfc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Good idea. Tried it, but no deal. (I'm on an iPhone 4S and ipad 4, btw. What devices are you using?)

I'd dispute the term "slightly". It's quite marked on my ipad. That makes it the wrong frame of reference. Command center's mid grey background with black graphics is not the same as black text on a white page.

On the iPhone it's even worse. Command center completely obscures the content I'm trying to adjust.
I'm on a 4S.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:14 AM   #14
Purex
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The issue is that, the Brightness you´re seeing with Control Center Opened, is different from the Brightness you get, when you close it. So you´re basically guessing...

With iOS 6, " what u see, is what u get "
Purex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:03 AM   #15
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm guessing you're on an iPhone 5 with a longer screen? Hence you can still see some of your content? That said, the entire screen of my iPhone 4S dims when control center is up. Does it not do that on your 5?
Yes Im on a 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purex View Post
The issue is that, the Brightness you´re seeing with Control Center Opened, is different from the Brightness you get, when you close it. So you´re basically guessing...

With iOS 6, " what u see, is what u get "
After multiple tries yes there is a very very small difference between adjustment and actual brightness. But not so much I even noticed until I read this thread. Im not even sure Its worth a thread. But If bothers you that much I can understand, some things about iOS 7 bother me but prob not others.
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 01:55 PM   #16
Iamthinking
macrumors regular

Quote:
The control centre is translucent, making it very hard to guage how bright my web pages and online mags/newspapers are going to be. I find myself having to go back and forth 3 or 4 times until I get the "correct" brightness.

That said, it may be that I use my iPAD in the dark a lot (i.e. reading in bed at night/early morning). Another poster mentioned that the ambient light (or lack thereof) may be when this issue really rears its head. I tend to agree!

So, I guess the note to Jony Ive and Team would be: "try adjusting the brightness of an ios7 iPAD or iphone in a dark/black room, and see if 'it just works'"

-Iamthinking.
Iamthinking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 02:04 PM   #17
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The control centre is translucent, making it very hard to guage how bright my web pages and online mags/newspapers are going to be. I find myself having to go back and forth 3 or 4 times until I get the "correct" brightness.

That said, it may be that I use my iPAD in the dark a lot (i.e. reading in bed at night/early morning). Another poster mentioned that the ambient light (or lack thereof) may be when this issue really rears its head. I tend to agree!

So, I guess the note to Jony Ive and Team would be: "try adjusting the brightness of an ios7 iPAD or iphone in a dark/black room, and see if 'it just works'"

-Iamthinking.
You can turn off the translucency if you want.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:10 AM   #18
msvadi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksWildYears View Post
It may be fine on iPhones, but not iPads. Control center on iPads is tiny. It's really hard to use it as reference next to a huge area of the main screen.

I wonder how come this has not been fixed for iPads. Such an obvious blunder.
msvadi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 06:15 AM   #19
sunking101
macrumors 68000

Mine used to be a bit potty and adjust the brightness in a strange manner but it was one of the few issues which rectified itself with a DFU reinstallation.
sunking101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 07:32 AM   #20
I7guy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvadi View Post
It may be fine on iPhones, but not iPads. Control center on iPads is tiny. It's really hard to use it as reference next to a huge area of the main screen.

I wonder how come this has not been fixed for iPads. Such an obvious blunder.
I don't have a problem adjusting the brightness using the control panel of my iPad 2 with ios 7. The issue is between iOS six and iOS 7 the brightness on iOS 7 doesn't go as dim as the brightness on iOS 6.
I7guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 09:22 AM   #21
sunking101
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by I7guy View Post
I don't have a problem adjusting the brightness using the control panel of my iPad 2 with ios 7. The issue is between iOS six and iOS 7 the brightness on iOS 7 doesn't go as dim as the brightness on iOS 6.
That's because Apple use depleted uranium in the iOS7 colourscheme.
sunking101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 09:38 AM   #22
phpmaven
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking101 View Post
That's because Apple use depleted uranium in the iOS7 colourscheme.
I don't see this as a huge problem, but the OP makes a good point. I do find myself adjusting the brightness on my iPad and then going back and adjusting it because I didn't quite get it right not being able to see how it will really look until after I close the control center. It is slightly annoying, but not that big of a deal.
phpmaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:30 AM   #23
stevemiller
macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I'm always adjusting brightness multiple times on the ipad. If the brightness of the control centre itself was a sufficient guide, I wouldn't be correcting it over and over, but I am.

It's not a "big deal" but it is yet another example of poorly thought out functionality in favour of "fresh" design.
stevemiller is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7