Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Never jumped on the 4S model. Did y'all think most build quality issues were ironed out compared to iPhone 4 launch?

There seemed to be some issues with our launch day ip5s. I'm wondering if it will be better on the 5S launch.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Never jumped on the 4S model. Did y'all think most build quality issues were ironed out compared to iPhone 4 launch?

There seemed to be some issues with our launch day ip5s. I'm wondering if it will be better on the 5S launch.

I've had all 3 you mentioned and am getting the 5S.

Seems like with each of the "new design" releases (4 and 5) there was some flaw that was fixed in the "S" model - though not sure about the 5S.

For the 4 it was antenna-gate (I never personally experienced this) and they redesigned the antennas for the 4S.

I assume you are referring to the "scuff-ability" of the black iPhone 5. It remains to be seen if they've done anything to mitigate this, but I will say I used my phone naked quite often and only really had one major scuff (from a drop) and a minor scuff that I'm not sure how it got there.

But I am a bit anal about my devices (I regularly wipe them down to remove fingerprints and such and always place them on some type of cloth when on a hard surface).

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Ya, I am not too worried about durability--any phone will get marks. However, out-of-box scuffs indicated really poor quality controls on the first batches.

I will probably pre-order soon as possible but won't be surprised to see some problem with the "new" home button, e.g., loose, rattles, not working.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Ya, I am not too worried about durability--any phone will get marks. However, out-of-box scuffs are pretty bad.

I will probably pre-order soon as possible but won't be surprised to see some problem with the "new" home button, e.g., loose, rattles, not working.

It's funny I've never had an issue with my iPhone's home button - I've owned numerous iPhones and swapped them out for varying reasons - never a home button.

But I see that comment made all the time. Supposedly the home button will be MORE stable because of the fingerprint sensor, so we should see LESS home button issues.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Ya, I am not too worried about durability--any phone will get marks. However, out-of-box scuffs indicated really poor quality controls on the first batches.

You are already getting yourself revved up and ready to return it!:p

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
You're pushing* it wrong.

*pressing/mashing/smashing/jamming/scanning

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I think it has sort of become.

New features and design - numerical iPhone (4,5)

"Perfected" features but same design - "S" iPhone (4S, 5S)

The numerical ones are the ones that are more game changing but the "S" models are the ones that add small features here and there, but really focus on improving the overall experience.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I think it has sort of become.

New features and design - numerical iPhone (4,5)

"Perfected" features but same design - "S" iPhone (4S, 5S)

The numerical ones are the ones that are more game changing but the "S" models are the ones that add small features here and there, but really focus on improving the overall experience.

That's definitely true. On this release they look to be redesigning the home button, though. And it has been relatively the same for awhile. I believe changed the mechanism on the iPhone 5 because it is different than earlier models and iPads (except iPad mini)

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The 3G model had both GPS and wifi issues. The 3GS fixed both of that.

The 4 had not only antenna gate but also have proximity sensor issues (yeah I know it was supposedly fixed with a software update) but many dropped calls inadvertent dialing was from proximity sensor.

The 5 is pretty solid. Aside for "scuff gate". I really don't have much to complain about.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I think that the quality control on the 5S model will be better than the iphone 5 was. Go for it, you can get 4s with problem too, so go for 5s :)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Some upgraded glass would be a plus.

I'd settle for a better oleophobic coating.....

I would assume though, Apple would likely use the latest Gorilla Glass making it stronger and more scratch resistant. Isn't that one of the little upgrades that always happens?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's definitely true. On this release they look to be redesigning the home button, though. And it has been relatively the same for awhile. I believe changed the mechanism on the iPhone 5 because it is different than earlier models and iPads (except iPad mini)
With a potential larger redesign of a home button and perhaps a fingerprint sensor or something like that, there's the potential of new problems that don't exist in previous iPhones (as they don't have that new hardware). So, the S models aren't really always "perfected" from the point of view of quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.