Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will include a fingerprint scanner on the high-end iPhone that the company will introduce at a media event tomorrow, widely thought to be called the iPhone 5S, according to The Wall Street Journal.

NewImage5.png
Placing a finger on a computer or smartphone has long been proposed as a way to avoid the need for passwords to authenticate users of computers and other devices. People familiar with the matter said last week that Apple will include a fingerprint scanner on the more expensive of two iPhones it is expected to unveil Tuesday at an event at its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters.
The paper notes that the fingerprint scanners used in older electronics devices have been inaccurate, but newer devices can take several scans with the finger held in one place, allowing for better reliability.

The WSJ notes that reliability and ease of use are key and will be essential for widespread public adoption. The iPhone 5S will, by far, be the most high-profile consumer electronics device with a fingerprint scanner. Apple purchased fingerprint sensor company AuthenTec in July 2012 for $356 million.

The new iPhone will be unveiled tomorrow at 10:00 AM Pacific Time at Apple's Cupertino headquarters. MacRumors will have live coverage of the event.

Article Link: Wall Street Journal Confirms Fingerprint Sensor in New iPhone Coming Tomorrow

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I hope it comes to the iPod touch as well.

Hell, I hope they don't kill off the iPod touch.

I hope the first 5 comments are removed so everybody can see this masterpiece.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This was pretty much confirmed when Apple purchased AuthenTec earlier this year.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Can't. Freaking. Wait.

Dual LED Flash.
Fingerprint Sensor.
Faster Processor.
Improved Battery Life.
New Colors.
iOS 7.
Improved Camera.

Let's Go!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Cool new iPhone feature: upload your fingerprint to NSA direct from your iPhone. And it's so simple you don't even have to hit send. It just magically goes to its database. :D

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Can't. Freaking. Wait.

Dual LED Flash.
Fingerprint Sensor.
Faster Processor.
Improved Battery Life.
New Colors.
iOS 7.
Improved Camera.

Let's Go!
While I must admit that I really look forward to it, I am pretty disappointed if Apple doesn´t have any more surprises for us up their sleeves.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Sounds cool...but I have to see it for myself. I'm concerned about the possible awkwardness of the button so low on the phone. Will you have to place your thumb at a very specific angle? Will it be easy to do holding the iphone in one hand? Or will it be awkward to do so because of the specific angle needed for the thumb placement? I'm just guessing of course. It could work seamlessly and intuitively as we've all come to expect from Apple.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Can't. Freaking. Wait.

Dual LED Flash.
Fingerprint Sensor.
Faster Processor.
Improved Battery Life.
New Colors.
iOS 7.
Improved Camera.

Let's Go!

If it has the same design as the iPhone 5 the battery can't be enlarged a lot. So this is not really going to happen.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Cue the Android handset makers to start drawing up schematics for fingerprint scanners in exactly 16 hours. . .

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Sounds cool...but I have to see it for myself. I'm concerned about the possible awkwardness of the button so low on the phone. Will you have to place your thumb at a very specific angle? Will it be easy to do holding the iphone in one hand? Or will it be awkward to do so because of the specific angle needed for the thumb placement? I'm just guessing of course. It could work seamlessly and intuitively as we've all come to expect from Apple.

Do you use your other fingers to press the home button for the current iPhone? I use my thumb to press that button numerous times every day and don't find it awkward.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
If it has the same design as the iPhone 5 the battery can't be enlarged a lot. So this is not really going to happen.
Isn´t the A7 on new process tech however? Not talking about 20nm (that´s reserved for the A8). I also rather doubt more battery life, but what do I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.