Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDannyxD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
Just a theory but what if your asleep and whom ever comes into your room and picks up your iPhone 5S and just touch's the scanner of your finger while you sleep, and bang there in your phone!

It's silly but true!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Who exactly is going to come into my bedroom while I sleep to get into my phone?

Why don't we cross this bridge (and issue) once we have all the info on how this feature (if true) will function, no need to create and solve an issue that doesn't exist yet.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Just a theory but what if your asleep and whom ever comes into your room and picks up your iPhone 5S and just touch's the scanner of your finger while you sleep, and bang there in your phone!

It's silly but true!

Put a infrared/ laser alarm installation on your bedroom.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

It's silly but true!

Good point! Fingerprint and voice recognition maybe? :D

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Let me word the OP question how he wanted to write it...

"I'm worried that my wife will now be able to get my phone whilst I'm asleep, and put my finger on the phone to unlock it.. Obviously this is unacceptable, as she'd find out that I'm shagging my secretary.

Anyone else worried about this?"

We've all thought about that bro.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Now, that is an issue.
You can hire a bodyguard though. That would solve the problem.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
ojn94.jpg

Wormald

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
London
Perhaps when the phone unlocks from the scanner it'll vibrate or make a beep?

Aside from disabling the scanner, that would be a good option to have.

But, yes, if there's someone in your room whilst you're asleep who you don't trust, then them vicariously fingering your phone is the least of your worries :)

Edit: I think I've figured out how this will be stopped from happening - I think you'll have to press the home button, and the scan will take place as you press it in. The force required to push someone elses finger (a very sensitive part of the body) into the home button would rouse them from sleep for sure.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm certain there will be a way to disable it. I've never liked the idea of using my fingerprint anyway.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
There will certainly be a way to disable. It will be like siri, exciting at first then not very practical. Fingerprint scanners on larger devices, and even in high security environments, don't have a 100 percent scan success rate. Imagine having to re scan your finger to unlock your phone. What about dirt and smudge.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

It's silly but true!

Don't live around people you don't trust, and if you feel you need to hide it you shouldn't be doing it.

That or sleep with iMits on to protect your fingerprints.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
There will certainly be a way to disable. It will be like siri, exciting at first then not very practical. Fingerprint scanners on larger devices, and even in high security environments, don't have a 100 percent scan success rate. Imagine having to re scan your finger to unlock your phone. What about dirt and smudge.

You're assuming it uses the exact same technology for identification as the high security scanners, which it may not. Guess what? Voice recognition sucked 5 years ago too, not so much anymore.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
If someone really wants into your phone, they do not need your passcode, nor your finger to do it.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
It'll be low-level security. It'll stop people just picking your phone up and reading through your data. But if someone REALLY wants access to your phone and they're willing to go to fairly extreme measures, they'll get in somehow.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Just a theory but what if your asleep and whom ever comes into your room and picks up your iPhone and knows your pin code or you don't use one, and bang they're in your phone!

It's silly but true!

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I wonder if the crimes of phones and cut off thumbs will go up?

Cut-off thumbs may not work if Apple managed to fit in all of the technologies that AuthenTech developed.

Based on what AuthenTech was working on before Apple bought them, they require your fingers to be alive.

I'm not sure if it is possible to keep pushing fake blood into a thumb to fool this technology.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
OMG.

On the flip side, what would you do if in a freak industrial accident you had all your fingers cut off and you could no longer access your phone?

It could happen...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.