Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:42 AM   #1
halfpint89
macrumors newbie

VMWare First Timer How to Play Games?

Hey all, I just got myself a mac and I have command and conquer first decade and want to be able to play it. I have created a virtual windows 7 using VMWare and I have installed the game but it's not loading for me to play? I either get a directX error (generals) or a FATAl error (red alert 2).

Any suggestions (in as lame mans as possible)

Cheers
halfpint89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:59 AM   #2
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpint89 View Post
Any suggestions (in as lame mans as possible)
Don't use a virtual machine. Install Windows through Boot Camp.
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:07 AM   #3
halfpint89
macrumors newbie

Error update

Just an update the errors are:

"***FATAL*** String Manager failed to initialise properly"

"Please make sure you have DirectX 8.1 or higher installed. Also verify that your video card meets the minimum requirements"

----------

Yeah I've heard of boot camp but people seem to be able to do it using VMWare without much difficulty and I already have it all installed and set up so ideally I would prefer a solution.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Ainze
macrumors member

A lot of people are going to tell you not to bother with a VM. Ignore them. If that's the way you want to do it, do it. Depending on the game, I personally use a mix of Boot Camp, Wine and Parallels VM, so I'm a big believer in using the tool thats fits the job best.

As I said, I use Parallels, not VMWare, so I can't say for sure. Do you have VMWare's 'additions' installed (I think they call them VMWare Tools maybe)? Their own drivers that you install to integrate Windows with Mac OS. These are usually required for any type on 3D gaming on a VM.

Don't give up. I can get C&C First Decade running great with Parallels. You should be able to do the same.

----------

Another thought is that you are trying to play First Decade on Windows 7. Most won't run properly on anything higher than XP without some tweaking.

For RA2, you'll want to run in XP compatibility mode, and Run as Administrator. This may work for the others too.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:54 AM   #5
halfpint89
macrumors newbie

I didn't hang about while the vm was being created so didn't check to see if the tools were installed... in my virtual machine drop down menu the "install VMware tools" is greyed out which I've been lead to believe means it's not installed... so not sure how to do that. Also tried the administrator thing for RA2 and got the game to run but with no graphics which further leads me to the above conclusion.

----------

wait got tools installed standby for update haha

----------

that seems to have done the trick haha... feel a bit silly now. cheers for the help though
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:32 AM   #6
DGPMaluco
macrumors regular

Have you installed directX?
DGPMaluco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:54 AM   #7
antonis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I didn't hang about while the vm was being created so didn't check to see if the tools were installed... in my virtual machine drop down menu the "install VMware tools" is greyed out which I've been lead to believe means it's not installed... so not sure how to do that. Also tried the administrator thing for RA2 and got the game to run but with no graphics which further leads me to the above conclusion.

----------

----------

that seems to have done the trick haha... feel a bit silly now. cheers for the help though
Ah nvm, it's sorted.

Last edited by antonis; Sep 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
antonis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Ainze
macrumors member

Quote:

----------

----------

Glad that sorted it out for you. Hopefully all First Decade is running fine now. Have fun!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games