Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeySpec99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2011
As the title says I'm looking into installing an 256gb SSD drive in my 2011 i5 iMac but need it to boot to Win7 . My concern is do I install the drive out the box (unformatted) and then follow up with boot camp to install windows. I'm going to be using the ssd strictly for windows and keeping the 1TB as my osx drive. I've read up on numerous threads if I were using osx I could clone it before installing it via carbon copy cloner. I've also read that I can't install win7 via USB but only using the thunderbolt port in which I don't have an adapter for. Don't want to install it to find out I missed a step and have to redo the install. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
My 2011 iMac has the Apple SSD. I used BootCamp Assistant to set up a Windows 7 partition (so it repartitioned the OS X drive) and then installed from a Windows 7 Ultimate CD. During the install, I had to reformat the Boot Camp partition with NTFS (which one can do from the Windows 7 CD during the installation process).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.