Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5s.jpg
During today's iPhone event, Apple announced that customers would be able to pre-order the colorful iPhone 5c beginning on September 13, but there was no pre-order date given for the iPhone 5s.

Instead, Apple supplied only a September 20 release date for its flagship phone, which means the iPhone 5s will not be able to be pre-ordered ahead of time. Customers who wish to obtain an iPhone 5s on release day will need to visit an Apple Store or brick and mortar carrier store to purchase the phone.

Apple will, presumably, begin accepting online orders for the iPhone 5s on September 20, but waiting in line will almost certainly be necessary to get a phone in-hand on the release date.

Apple's iPhone 5s comes with a 64-bit A7 processor, a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and new camera enhancements. It will ship with iOS 7 and can be purchased in three colors, including "space gray", white, and gold. The 16GB version of the iPhone 5s will cost $199 with a 2-year contract and $649 unlocked and contract free.

Article Link: iPhone 5s Will Not Be Available for Pre-Order

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
Grab the tents and the blankets. It's going to be a cold and long night.

Nevermind, I'll be sitting in a mall. :D

noah82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
I blame this on China. This is the first time the phone has been available on release date there and that means no preorders here.

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
They just want the media attention of long lines to make the launch seem as successful as possible....

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
What are they thinking? No pre-orders is absurd. There are many of us who don't have the time to sit in a line for days.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Ugh.

How annoying - I wonder if this is a matter of logistics or of wanting to make use of the halo effect. Get people in the brick and mortar locations so they walk away with more merch.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I think it's probably to due with yields needed. If they're launching in China from day one, and plan to be in 100 countries by the end of the year, it's probably just a case of they don't have enough stock to do pre-orders, and then have some available for networks and on the day walk-in sales.

There was already some stories about low volumes from production a few weeks ago, so this is probably because of that.

TAI182

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Chicago, IL
Do you guys think arriving around 10:00 PM on Thursday night to an Apple or AT&T store would be sufficient? I can't make it there any earlier.

ncfuser

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I think it's probably to due with yields needed. If they're launching in China from day one, and plan to be in 100 countries by the end of the year, it's probably just a case of they don't have enough stock to do pre-orders, and then have some available for networks and on the day walk-in sales.

There was already some stories about low volumes from production a few weeks ago, so this is probably because of that.

I was thinking the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.