Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
I had been waiting for january MWSF since september for a new computer or monitor, but today I snapped and bought a max upgraded mini with a 23"...

I hope I wont regret it.

So far the mac mini is impressing me, and it seems faster than my 1.6ghz pentium 4 (except the video card, hurg it suck). I'll have my monitor tommorow, cant wait ;)

Quick question, is it possible to transfer my applications from my ibook to the mini with usb instead of the recommended firewire?

Ive been unlucky and got the old model, but I dont mind, I just wanted something to run osx on my nice monitor :) ; Still, I would be happy if I could manage to load a few instruments in Kontakt 2 and stream them from sibelius 4, so far it works on the inner soundcard, but I have to test how much it can take and compare it to my pc. Now I got a mess of 3 keyboard and 3 mouses, 2 crt and the upcomming 23" ACD on my desk... Gotta get rid of some stuff before I get a tumor or something from all the radiations.

Edit, I tested ut2004 demo and it didnt run too bad in high resolution with the details lowered, had a frame rate above 25 fps in 1600x1200 so 1900x1200 should be near the limit of playable.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
mduser63 said:
Is there a reason you didn't go for a 20" iMac G5 for less money?

Yeah, I need the higher resolution of the 23", I plan on getting a powermac in september and I want to keep the monitor.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Josh396 said:
Seems like a good reason to me.

Yeah, It will be great then. I didnt have enough money atm, and I realy needed some computer running osx to finish my thesis becose windows do not deserve a 23" ACD. But while being at the shop, I "accidently" bought the more expensive mini, I was supposed to get the cheap one, but I wanted the dvd burner, and they dont do upgrades there beside ram.

Anyway, the mini realy suck for games, I shoudnt even have tried it. Gotta wait for a ps3...

Edit: Tiger is cool, I wonder in how many years windows will have all thoses Widgets.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
not sure about the USB thing... but might as well just use a standard ethernet cable to connect the 2. Thats what I do... it works pretty well. Not as fast as firewire... but I only use it every once and a while.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
pionata said:
I had been waiting for january MWSF since september for a new computer or monitor, but today I snapped and bought a max upgraded mini with a 23"....

Please pionata...

Please don't tell me you bought the ACD...

pionata

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Hey, yes I got the ACD 23", its quite amazing, has 0 dead pixels but has some slight white leaking when viewing and all black image but unnoticable when you look at colors.

As for games, well, I think I'll use my pc until I get a ps3... the mini doesnt cut it; Tried call of duty and it was unplayable, ut2004 works suprisingly well at half res, and I'll get sims 2 for my Gf. Still, Playing guildwars and Hl2 with my pc in the acd display is quite nice in 1900x1200 or 1900x1080.
not sure about the USB thing... but might as well just use a standard ethernet cable to connect the 2. Thats what I do... it works pretty well. Not as fast as firewire... but I only use it every once and a while.

Yes I have an eternet lan, but the migration assistant ask for firewire (I want to transfer application authorization. Is there a special way to do so?

Overall Im quite happy, and I got apple care, so If the leaking bothers me I'll give them a call.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
epepper9 said:
Windows are getting fast at having apps copied for them :rolleyes:

Just remember that Konfabulator was around first. also, it's good for folks who don't have Tiger. I had an iBook using Jaguar so I downloaded Konfabulator. Same as a dashboard!

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I would have held out for the unofficial upgraded 1.5 Ghz/64MB VRAM mini.

You'll really be stretching the limits of the default 32 MB GPU trying to push that 23" ACD.

The model and serial #'s for the upgrade are posted in the upgraded mini confirmed thread .

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Ouch, I just thought those ACDs are incredibly poor value. If I were you I'd rather just buy a Dell LCD and put the price difference towards a PM.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
generik said:
Ouch, I just thought those ACDs are incredibly poor value. If I were you I'd rather just buy a Dell LCD and put the price difference towards a PM.

Eww...Dell...Eww...

Yucky!

ACD's look better than the crappy black plastic. Plus you get a FW AND USB hub. The picture isn't all that different either....

Dell...ewww.....

pionata

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
For me the dell was the same price, since it didnt have a student discount on it. I use the ACD mostly for music composing, having a nice looking design is much more inspiring and make my studio look better. Poor value? Im just wowed when Im in front of it.

Even so, I played half-life 2 in 1900x1080 and it looked REALY amazing (I was also impressed to find the acd hd doesnt stretch that resolution like the other non-native resolutions, but keeps the black borders on the top and bottom.

I didnt notice any kind of trail or blur, so far so good. As for the mac mini, well I waited too long already for that unconfirmed update, and I took a chance. The truth is, it runs the 23" fine for almost all application except games, and the gpu suck so much that having 64 megs on it wont make a big difference.

Edit:
The 23" has a harsh reputation on the net, and that slowed me down quite a bit in my buying process. But it was probably due to the first generation of old models, mine seems almost perfect and is certainly perfect for my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.