Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wait in line at Apple Store or Carrier store?

• Apple Store

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Carrier Store

Votes: 21 44.7%

• Total voters

TAI182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Chicago, IL
Now that we cannot pre-order the 5s to receive on the release date, who is going to wait in line at an Apple Store, and who is going to wait at their carrier's store?

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Cannot pre-order ?. Where did you see this ? I was told by apple employe that pre-orders will be available through the apple online store on launch day.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
see apple.com.

I'll opt for not waiting in line and go after work to AT&T.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Should have added another option...

[] Online order from Apple and wait. ;) This is what I'll do. Apple online/store gives a 30 day return and the carriers in the USA is 14 days

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Will wake up early on the 20th and order from apple. If I'm lucky maybe I can pick it up from the store the same day, if not. I will wait for it to ship to me. Not really in a hurry.

m8875

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
So are we SURE that it will be available at Carrier store? On the website it only says apple store....

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
My guess is that on 20th you can order 5S online but it will say along the line of 1-2 weeks delivery. If you must have it on 20th then store is the only option. This really sucks.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Not doing preorders at all tells me that they are having a hard time ramping production up. So it would surprise me to see many, if any, phones available at carriers or retail for quite a while. It sounds like the only way to get one on launch day will be to go to the stored.

Althoug carriers and retail may take reservations and doll them out as they get them. But hopefully there will be more information a available tomorrow.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
No preorders because they want lots of pictures of customers queuing.

If you have never been to an Apple store for a launch, then go for the experience (especially if you can get there early).

I would also imagine they will have more stock that the phone companies.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm going to wait until the waiting in line business is over. I want to walk into my carrier store and not have to wait, but rather, walk up and look at and choose the one I want.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I'm not waiting in line. I'm walking into AT&T after all the madness stops later that day and buying it

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
My guess is that on 20th you can order 5S online but it will say along the line of 1-2 weeks delivery. If you must have it on 20th then store is the only option. This really sucks.

I, too, want to get the 5s online on the 20th. I would go ahead and get delivery IF the estimated delivery time is 1 week or so but if not, is it safe to assume that Apple is doing what they did with the iPhone 5 last year in terms of in-store pickup?

I.e. they refresh the inventory at their stores at a set time every night so you can reserve an iPhone for pickup the next day. That seems to be the best shot at getting an iPhone ASAP.

Now whether or not it's worth trying for in-store pickup every night or worth it just to order it for delivery and have potentially the same waiting time is another question altogether.

Decisions, decisions and first-world problems :eek:

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I won't have time (nor do I have the desire/patience) to stand in line early Friday morning. I'll call verizon later in the day and see if they have any stock remaining.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
They probably want to pace out their sales. They're probably delaying the release of their new iPads so they want their new iPhones to sell consistently throughout the next few months.

They'll probably push the iPad back until winter and release the new MacBook Pros in November. The problem with apple during the past year is that they didn't release too many products throughout the year. Just a bunch during a certain season.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.