Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:06 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
More Details on How the Touch ID Fingerprint Sensor Works




The flagship feature of the iPhone 5s is the new Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and we're beginning to get a better idea of how it works.

It appears Apple has designed Touch ID to be faster than entering a four-digit passcode, stating in its marketing materials that using Touch ID is "faster, easier, and even a little futuristic". It will allow users to store up to five fingerprints, allowing other trusted users access to a locked phone.
Quote:
Put your finger on the Home button, and just like that your iPhone unlocks. It's a convenient and highly secure way to access your phone. Your fingerprint can also approve purchases from iTunes Store, the App Store, and the iBooks Store, so you don't have to enter your password. And Touch ID is capable of 360-degree readability. Which means no matter what its orientation -- portrait, landscape, or anything in between -- your iPhone reads your fingerprint and knows who you are.
Financial Times reporter Tim Bradshaw shared this video showing how the iPhone learns a fingerprint by scanning a finger a half-dozen times.

TechCrunch wrote that once a fingerprint was successfully learned, "it worked flawlessly to unlock the device for every subsequent trial."

Also, AllThingsD reports that third-party developers will not get access to the fingerprint authentication protocol, at least not initially.

The iPhone 5s will cost $199, $299, and $399 for the 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB models respectively with a 2-year contract. Non-contract, unlocked devices will be available at launch for $649/$749/$849.

The iPhone 5s and the lower-cost iPhone 5c -- which does not have Touch ID -- will be available in stores in the US, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, and the UK starting on September 20.

Notably, there will be no preorders for the iPhone 5s.

Article Link: More Details on How the Touch ID Fingerprint Sensor Works
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Gooberton
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I for one love the sensor, I love the whole 5S, seems like people are haters on it. What did you expect? It's pretty darn cool!

Last edited by Gooberton; Sep 10, 2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Add
Gooberton is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3
cwpics
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberton View Post
I for one love the sensor, I love the whole 5S, seems like people are haters on it. What did you expect? It's pretty darn cool!
Agree 100% - looking forward to getting my hands on to see how compares to 4s and my other half's 5
__________________
Photographer Dundee & Angus

Last edited by cwpics; Sep 10, 2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Additions
cwpics is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:12 PM   #4
copete
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Has anyone heard if it will work just as well if someone uses their thumb? That would make it more convenient.
copete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:14 PM   #5
GreenFreaK
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by copete View Post
Has anyone heard if it will work just as well if someone uses their thumb? That would make it more convenient.
I believe you can use any finger you'd like. I dunno if anyone has in practice yet or not
GreenFreaK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Oldschoolers
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Carolina
I love the sensor! I hope that it can stand up to the wear and tear of everyday life. My iPhone 5 home button is always smeared with what ever food is on my littles one's hands.
__________________
2012 Macbook Air Iphone5
Oldschoolers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Gooberton
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by copete View Post
Has anyone heard if it will work just as well if someone uses their thumb? That would make it more convenient.
It seems to be designed for thumb. Go to you tube and look for iPhone 5s hands on. There's demo videos already
Gooberton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:16 PM   #8
DeathChill
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolers View Post
I love the sensor! I hope that it can stand up to the wear and tear of everyday life. My iPhone 5 home button is always smeared with what ever food is on my littles one's hands.
This man speaks the truth. I have two kids and I have absolutely no idea what is on their hands but they play with my phone and there is a layer of goop on the phone even if I make them wash their hands BEFORE playing with it. Wizards I tell you. Dirt wizards.
DeathChill is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:17 PM   #9
nostaws
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberton View Post
It seems to be designed for thumb. Go to you tube and look for iPhone 5s hands on. There's demo videos already
In the keynote it was mentioned that you could use multiple fingers. You could have the thumb and another finger (at least one other).
nostaws is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:17 PM   #10
TXCherokee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by copete View Post
Has anyone heard if it will work just as well if someone uses their thumb? That would make it more convenient.
Thumb or index finger
TXCherokee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Mums
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
If somebody chops off your finger, can they use it to unlock your iPhone?
Mums is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Fondaparinux
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mums View Post
If somebody chops off your finger, can they use it to unlock your iPhone?
If someone chops off your finger, I think you have a bigger problem than your phone.
Fondaparinux is offline   41 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:21 PM   #13
jdsipod
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iowa City, IA
Send a message via Skype™ to jdsipod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mums View Post
If somebody chops off your finger, can they use it to unlock your iPhone?
Yes
jdsipod is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:21 PM   #14
PsychoLogicXen
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal
Future breaking news story: Man knocked unconscious by thief. Thief steals man's iPhone only after using man's finger to unlock it. Man sues Apple.
PsychoLogicXen is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Mums
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondaparinux View Post
If someone chops off your finger, I think you have a bigger problem than your phone.
I beg to differ. Why wouldn't a thief take your finger along with your iPhone? If you think otherwise, you haven't done much traveling.
Mums is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:22 PM   #16
MN7119
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Great invention for countries like Brazil. Now when you get robbed they won’t take just your iPhone. They will chop your finger and take it to.
MN7119 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:25 PM   #17
Mums
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN7119 View Post
Great invention for countries like Brazil. Now when you get robbed they won’t take just your iPhone. They will chop your finger and take it to.
Yeah - and China, Africa, Latin America, Eastern Europe, Russia, South East Asia, US/EU cities -- just about everywhere actually -- except for maybe rural Europe and North America, and Japan.
Mums is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:26 PM   #18
jfreak623
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mums View Post
If somebody chops off your finger, can they use it to unlock your iPhone?
No the sensor detects pulse and temperature.
jfreak623 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:28 PM   #19
Mums
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreak623 View Post
No the sensor detects pulse and temperature.
I hope it detects pulse and temperature!! Otherwise this might actually stop me from buying it. The NSA probably already has my fingerprints from the numerous times I've gone through immigration at JFK, so that can't be much of a concern.
Mums is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:30 PM   #20
baryon
macrumors 68030
 
baryon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fondaparinux View Post
If someone chops off your finger, I think you have a bigger problem than your phone.
The potential problem is that for a thief to access - and sell - the phone, they require your finger. So now they'll need more than just your phone!

I doubt this would ever happen but in theory…

Also, if Apple's touch ID works well, other companies will be implementing it in everything - computers, cars, doors… And then your finger will become a very desirable object for thieves.
__________________
Sent from my iPod Shuffle
baryon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:33 PM   #21
altaic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Oh Apple, why would you blunder so? Fingerprints are not passwords, let alone the perfect password. Touch ID -- identification -- yes, fantastic. Authentication? No. Everything you touch now has your "secret" password on it, and it bears mentioning that changing such a password is... difficult.
altaic is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:34 PM   #22
Mums
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
The potential problem is that for a thief to access - and sell - the phone, they require your finger. So now they'll need more than just your phone!

I doubt this would ever happen but in theory…

Also, if Apple's touch ID works well, other companies will be implementing it in everything - computers, cars, doors… And then your finger will become a very desirable object for thieves.
Yeah - why are implementing something so potentially risky? You mention you doubt it will ever happen - that's naive - it can and will happen in many places around the world. A finger is nothing! They mug people for kidneys everywhere - even places like Manchester, UK - they wouldn't even think twice about taking someone's finger.

Furthermore if they do implement it in cars, house doors, etc. - people are going to be getting their fingers stolen all over the place in all countries. This is crazy. I guess we'll just have to thank our lucky stars they're not implementing retina scanners.
Mums is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:36 PM   #23
TechPedia
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Also:
https://twitter.com/mcdev/status/377491907653693440
"Jealous spouses are going to love the new 5s. Wait until the other one falls asleep, carry the phone over, unlock it and snoop away!"
TechPedia is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:44 PM   #24
lusky
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mums View Post
Yeah - why are implementing something so potentially risky? You mention you doubt it will ever happen - that's naive - it can and will happen in many places around the world. A finger is nothing! They mug people for kidneys everywhere - even places like Manchester, UK - they wouldn't even think twice about taking someone's finger.

Furthermore if they do implement it in cars, house doors, etc. - people are going to be getting their fingers stolen all over the place in all countries. This is crazy. I guess we'll just have to thank our lucky stars they're not implementing retina scanners.
Dear god as someone has all ready said, it detects temperature and plus, a severed finger or a print of your print is no use. stop panicking.

PS have you finished building your underground bomb shelter?
lusky is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:44 PM   #25
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPedia View Post
Also:
https://twitter.com/mcdev/status/377491907653693440
"Jealous spouses are going to love the new 5s. Wait until the other one falls asleep, carry the phone over, unlock it and snoop away!"
I already know my wife's code and she knows mine. Don't give your spouse a reason to be jealous and this won't be a issue.
SHirsch999 is offline   23 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photos of Claimed Gold iPad Mini with Touch ID Fingerprint Sensor Surface MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 182 Oct 2, 2013 03:40 PM
Fingerprint sensor only works after wiping fingerprints away stackshady iPhone 8 Sep 28, 2013 10:54 PM
Apple Announces iPhone 5s With 'Touch ID' Fingerprint Sensor MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 442 Sep 27, 2013 05:37 AM
iFixit's iPhone 5s Teardown Reveals Touch ID Fingerprint Sensor, 'Invisible' M7 Chip MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 84 Sep 22, 2013 04:02 AM
Fingerprint sensor/touch id jamesapp iPhone 9 Sep 12, 2013 07:11 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC