Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Otterbox Cases for iPhone 5s Will Work With Touch ID

Otterbox today sent out a press release announcing cases designed for the new iPhone 5s and 5c models, and specifically addressed the new Touch ID fingerprint sensor that will be built into the iPhone 5s.

Because the company's bulky Defender Series of cases are designed to offer full device protection, it would seem that Otterbox might encounter some difficulties accounting for the home button and the fingerprint sensor.

However, Otterbox says all the its cases are "designed specifically to accommodate the new Touch ID fingerprint identity sensor technology, and all device functionality remains uninhibited by the case."
Quote:
"Every Apple launch means new technologies that enhance the iPhone user experience, while at the same time create challenges for our products to evolve," said OtterBox CEO Brian Thomas. "We have very talented design and engineering teams working hard to anticipate new technologies and determine the most elegant solutions for our cases which complement the user experience. As always, the OtterBox team will lead with innovations in premium protective solutions for these new devices and welcome the challenges that each new product launch generates."
Defender, Commuter, Reflex and Prefix cases will be immediately available for the iPhone 5s, while Defender and Commuter cases for the iPhone 5c will be available soon.

Many other cases, like the aluminum iGlaze Armour from Moshi, will work fine with Touch ID because they don't cover the home button at all.

Article Link: New Otterbox Cases for iPhone 5s Will Work With Touch ID
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:33 PM   #2
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
they are always on top of things
ZacNicholson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:34 PM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Super smart move on their part to ensure their product will work. I hate otterbox cases, but some people swear by them due to the nature of their work and where their iPhone can end up.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:42 PM   #4
MonstaMash
macrumors regular

Good for them. Fingerprint scanning is optional (you can just use standard passwords of course), but glad they were able to design a case to make it work.
MonstaMash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:05 PM   #5
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

I wonder how Lifeproof will handle making the finterprint scanner work while remaining waterproof.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:06 PM   #6
bushido
macrumors 603

i would literally rather walk around with a broken back than to put my slim iPhone in such an ugly "box"
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Battlefield Fan
Banned

I had one. Was boxy. Didn't like it...
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:43 PM   #8
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
I wonder how Lifeproof will handle making the finterprint scanner work while remaining waterproof.
I'm wondering that too. I want to put the 5S in a lifeproof, because it's waterproof.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Tmelon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
I'm wondering that too. I want to put the 5S in a lifeproof, because it's waterproof.
Well Lifeproof already has a sign up page so they at least have a plan.
Tmelon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:26 PM   #10
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmelon View Post
Well Lifeproof already has a sign up page so they at least have a plan.
LifeProof is owned by Otterbox now, FYI.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/22/...ing-lifeproof/
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:04 PM   #11
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
LifeProof is owned by Otterbox now, FYI.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/22/...ing-lifeproof/
I saw that in the news section of the search results, when I was looking to see if life proof had announced anything about the 5S.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:49 PM   #12
iMule
macrumors 6502

Otterbox + Lifeproof = Litterbox
iMule is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:24 PM   #13
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
The scanner is capacitive, and reads through your skin. If the face of a waterproof phone still allows capacitive screen input this is pretty easy to figure out.
Iconoclysm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:22 PM   #14
libertysat
macrumors regular

Some of us don't consider our phones as a fashion statement
A function over form thing

The Defender has done what I want from it, protect my phone from the use/abuse my life & work subjects it too

Life is too short to fuss over what other people think about the looks of your phone...
libertysat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:19 PM   #15
spillproof
macrumors 68020

My biggest fear was that the ID sensor would not work with full enclosure cases. Glad to see it is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
i would literally rather walk around with a broken back than to put my slim iPhone in such an ugly "box"
I wish I worked in a field where I didn't need to protect my electronics from being banded up and covered in all kinds of body secretions and excretions. I learned the lesson the hard way- the smell of vomit can never be fully removed from an iPhone
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:52 PM   #16
Eorlas
macrumors member

Quote:
Time and time again, silly comments like these come out any time a strong case is released, and time and time again someone has to remind everyone that...:

*It's NOT about making it look nice, it's about giving it strong protection for people who are prone to damaging their devices or for those people whose daily environments (ex. at work) threaten the safety of their device without an advanced protection solution.*

And lucky for you, you don't have to "walk around with a broken back" (ridiculous exaggeration just to draw attention imo) because there are many cases *that don't look like this one.*
Eorlas is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:50 PM   #17
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMule View Post

Otterbox + Lifeproof = Litterbox
Win!
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:52 PM   #18
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

My dad BROKE his Otterbox.

And yeah, those things are ugly.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:19 AM   #19
eroslws
macrumors newbie

Definitely function over form. In fact, without Otterbox, I would probably own a Nexus or Lumia. My hands are too big and skinny to handle the iPhone without feeling like it's going to slip out. The Defender makes the iPhone fit perfectly and protects well against multiple 6 foot drops onto pavement. The perils of being tall I guess.
eroslws is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:32 AM   #20
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eorlas View Post
And lucky for you, you don't have to "walk around with a broken back" (ridiculous exaggeration just to draw attention imo) because there are many cases *that don't look like this one.*
I really hope he just meant a broken piece of glass on the rear of the phone, and not an actual broken human back.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:53 AM   #21
koban4max
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
they are always on top of things
not really...where's armor series?
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:02 AM   #22
SvenSvenson
macrumors regular

Quote:
You may want to look up the meaning of the word 'Literally'...
SvenSvenson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:08 AM   #23
GBrooks
macrumors member

Meanwhile in the press office
'They bought it. Phew! That was lucky'
GBrooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:13 AM   #24
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacBookPro View Post
I really hope he just meant a broken piece of glass on the rear of the phone, and not an actual broken human back.
no shiat sherlock

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenSvenson View Post
You may want to look up the meaning of the word 'Literally'...
"Literally" the most misused word in the language has officially changed definition. Now as well as meaning "in a literal manner or sense; exactly: 'the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the traffic circle'", various dictionaries have added its other more recent usage. "literally" can be used "to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling".
bushido is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:56 AM   #25
SvenSvenson
macrumors regular

Quote:
"Literally" the most misused word in the language has officially changed definition. Now as well as meaning "in a literal manner or sense; exactly: 'the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the traffic circle'", various dictionaries have added its other more recent usage. "literally" can be used "to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling".
Yeah well - millions of uneducated people being wrong shouldn't make a thing right.
SvenSvenson is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion