Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJ8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Well that sucks. This happening to anyone else? I can restore from iCloud and I'm doing that. But I need to leave the house and this is going to take forever!

Here's the error message that pops up in iTunes:
The iPhone “EJ8's iPhone” cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 11.1 or later. Go to http://www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes.

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Well that sucks. This happening to anyone else? I can restore from iCloud and I'm doing that. But I need to leave the house and this is going to take forever!

The iPhone “EJ8's iPhone” cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 11.1 or later. Go to http://www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes.

So just download iTunes 11.1 beta off the dev site onto your dev Mac. Problem solved.

(I wanted to try my hand at being one of the pricks on this site who rips on everyone for not having a dev account. But seriously you're kinda hosed until it comes out for PC syncing.)

EJ8

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
So just download iTunes 11.1 beta off the dev site onto your dev Mac. Problem solved.

(I wanted to try my hand at being one of the pricks on this site who rips on everyone for not having a dev account. But seriously you're kinda hosed until it comes out for PC syncing.)

haha. love it. you had me irked for one millisecond. :D i guess is should have updated and not restored. what a noob mistake. although ive done this 4 or 5 years in a row now. i guess im a slow learner. :cool:

oh and I'm on a mac. i just need to get a hold of the new itunes version. its got to be floating around somewhere. in the meantime i sit at home as my restore from icloud counts down from 27 minutes. not that big of a deal.

pssmith84

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
I was able to install without issue, but now iTunes is saying my phone can't be used because it requires iTunes 11.1. I can't get 11.1 because I'm not a developer and I don't have a Mac. I wonder when it will come out for Windows.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I was able to install without issue, but now iTunes is saying my phone can't be used because it requires iTunes 11.1. I can't get 11.1 because I'm not a developer and I don't have a Mac. I wonder when it will come out for Windows.

You CAN restore using iTunes 11.0. At the end, it will complain it needs 11.1, but by that point your phone is restored and you can restore your backup from iCloud.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom

Hold the option, then click and restore. No need for 11.1 to install iOS 7.

pssmith84

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
You CAN restore using iTunes 11.0. At the end, it will complain it needs 11.1, but by that point your phone is restored and you can restore your backup from iCloud.

Yeah, I know. My phone is all good to go. I was just kinda throwing it out there in case other's weren't aware that they couldn't use iTunes after updating to the GM. Not until 11.1 is available at least.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
On a similar topic.. Is apple dropping a new iTunes 11.1 beta that support ios7 folders today?

msahadi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2010
I'm not going to give too much info but...google it and then watch the first youtube video that pops up. That's how I found 11.1b2

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Didn't b2 come out a while ago? maybe the folder support doesn't work for the ios7 betas but will for GM.

djantzz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012

So if I'm understanding correctly, I CAN upgrade to 7 but when it comes to restoring all my information back on the phone, it's necessary to have 11.1 beta UNLESS I use iCloud? Therefore I won't be able to use iTunes to restore back? Correct? I don't have Mac btw...

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
On a similar topic.. Is apple dropping a new iTunes 11.1 beta that support ios7 folders today?

They will probably just update it and release the final version pretty soon.

----------

So if I'm understanding correctly, I CAN upgrade to 7 but when it comes to restoring all my information back on the phone, it's necessary to have 11.1 beta UNLESS I use iCloud? Therefore I won't be able to use iTunes to restore back? Correct? I don't have Mac btw...

Correct.

A Mac is required for iOS development which is why iTunes 11.1 beta is available on the Mac only.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Correct. You can also do a little Googling if you're inclined, and download iTunes 11 beta 2.

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Once you've updated and restored via iCloud will the iPhone still sync on version 11.0.5?

djantzz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
They will probably just update it and release the final version pretty soon.

----------

Correct.

A Mac is required for iOS development which is why iTunes 11.1 beta is available on the Mac only.

Another question, if I find a Mac and do the upgrade, once it's publically released next week and I have the updated iTunes 11.1 on my Windows PC, will I be able to backup and restore on my windows at that point or will it have to be done on the Mac?

daniboy246

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Okei
let me get this straight: I have windows, i downloaded IOS 7 GM and installed itt, now it says that my phone cant be used, does that mean i now have IOS 7 GM? Or does it mean that i screwed up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.