Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced its next-generation flagship phone, the iPhone 5s. As with all of Apple's iPhone updates, the iPhone 5s will come equipped with several impressive camera improvements, both hardware and software-based.

While the iPhone 5s still uses an 8-megapixel camera, it utilizes a sensor that has a 15 percent larger surface area, which means it will produce higher quality photos in low-light conditions. It also has a 5-element lens with an aperture of f/2.2, an improvement over the iPhone 5's f/2.4 aperture and the pixels are larger, at 1.5 microns, for better light absorption. All in all, the iPhone 5s has a 33 percent increase in light sensitivity.
The new iSight camera on iPhone 5s builds on the iPhone 5 camera in ways that make a real difference to your photos. It captures beautiful images at 8 megapixels. What makes them beautiful is a redesigned camera sensor that allows for bigger pixels. Bigger pixels equal better photos. And better photos are precisely what inspired the advancements we made with the new iSight camera on iPhone 5s.
Most smartphones, Apple's iPhone included, are known for having a notoriously bad flash that washes out pictures, but that is no longer the case with the iPhone 5s. The iPhone 5s uses a "True Tone" dual-LED flash that supports two different cool white/warm amber color temperatures for improved white balance and more than 1,000 different color temperatures. The phone's app captures exposure and creates what Apple calls a "dynamic local tone map" to create pictures that are properly hued.

flash-800x532.jpg
Autofocus has been improved as well, using 15-zone matrix metering for speedier focusing times, and software-based image stabilization has been built-in too. As with the iPhone 5, the iPhone 5s has a sapphire-crystal covered lens designed to withstand scratches and other damage.

For capturing action shots, the iPhone 5s utilizes a new Burst Mode. This mode captures 10 photos per second, combines them to get an accurate light level, and then automatically chooses the best of the bunch.

burstmode-800x391.jpg
There's also a new "Slo-Mo" mode, designed to capture 720p video at up to 120 frames per second with 3x live video zoom. Slo-Mo video and regular video can be combined to create all new video effects. In Panorama mode, the iPhone 5s can capture 30 frames per second, which is a 50 percent improvement over the iPhone 5.

The iPhone 5s will ship with iOS 7, which brings several camera improvements itself. iOS 7 includes eight Apple-designed live filters and a redesigned photos app that groups pictures based on time and location.

Apple's iPhone 5s will be released on September 20, and iOS 7 will be available to the public on September 18. Apple also plans to release the iPhone 5c on September 20, with preorders beginning on September 13.

Article Link: iPhone 5s Camera Improvements: Slo-Mo Mode, 'True Tone' Flash and Better Low-Light Performance

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Also note that the high-speed video modes may be suffering from pixel binning. That is, the 720p120 mode may, in reality, only capture at half the resolution in both directions; that is, 640*360.

At least that's the case with the iPhone 5 running on iOS7 (see https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1602171/ for some precise resolution measurements.)

All in all, the photo-related improvements are indeed minimal, even if you take the, compared to the iPhone 5, double-Megapixel panorama mode, the somewhat (not much - the difference is WAY smaller than, say, between 1/3" and 1/2.3" or 1/2.3" and 1/1.7") larger sensor and brighter lens into account:

- still no double capturing (which would HIGHLY be useful when you'd like to include the image of the person taking the shot in the final video / pic too), unlike in LG G2

- no OIS (see LG G2 and Lumia 1020 - or, if you're looking for something cheaper, the Lumia 92x or the HTC One)

- no stereo audio recording (at least they didn't mention this) - come on Apple, it's late 2013 and every single other flagship smartphome records audio in stereo while shooting video!

- still not any kind of manual modes, not even via third-party apps (via API calls) - come on Apple! Stock Android / WinPhone have been having some of these (WB / proper exposure compensation / ISO setting) since their inception

- still a not very wide lens (most other flagship smartphones have 28mm lens; the 5S still seems to have 33mm)

- no 1080p60 video recording (the LG G2 does support it); neither 4K recording (the Note 3 and another phone I can't recall the name of do support)

----------

I am looking forward to the slow motion!!!!!!!

I REALLY hope it's not pixel binned (see my above intro)...

Last edited:

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I'm glad to see them keep the megapixels the same as they try and improve the quality of photos. f/2.2, bigger pixels and a color adjusting flash should make a lot of pictures much better.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Gunna replace my canon S90 with this!

I'm pretty sure the S90 produces better images. After all, while it's a LOT older model, it still has a much-much larger sensor, RAW, manual modes etc. The latter two are completely missing from iOS and the sensor size is still around 1/3" (even after the 17% increase in size).

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Apart from the better camera and extra flash. What features of the camera app on iOS 7 will not feature on iPhone 5 which will feature on iPhone 5s ?

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bunch o' Haterz

See this is where Apple shines. For all the hate I see in these forums Apple will continue to do very well because they release products that are consistent, appeal to the masses, and are reliable. I am underwhelmed by today as far as huge gimmicks go, but that's when I stop and realize I don't want gimmicks. I want to pick up my phone and have it shine in the categories of typical use. After having a 4s, GSIII, HTC One, and now iPhone 5 I am "educatedly" convinced Apple makes the best phone and will continue to do so.

Keep it up Apple, way to not try releasing crap like Galaxy Gear just cause the market clamors for useless devices.

Braggadocious Apple Products Here

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
the camera improvements look great, but i'm honestly very surprised to see that they stuck with 8 MP for the 3rd generation in a row. i was expecting at least 10 MP but seems cramming a larger sensor in there isn't happening at the moment.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Who cares about all of this? If I want to be shooting movies or putting together photo albums, I'll get a videocam or SLR.

This is a phone. It's a communication device. Where's HD voice? Improved speakers so I can hear speakers on the other end? What about improvements in antenna and reception? Speakerphone? WiFi hotspot ease of use?

How about wifi-calling across all wireless carriers? Where was additional presentation about ios7 improvements and how they work with the new iPhone. Any improvements in Mail, instant messaging, voicemail, anything at all that improves the iPhone as a communications device?

Presentation sucked, all I saw was junk about video games and dual flash for photos that no one cares about. Candy for people who like to waste time. This is a phone.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Apart from the better camera and extra flash. What features of the camera app on iOS 7 will not feature on iPhone 5 which will feature on iPhone 5s ?

- 720p120

- double-Megapixel panos (prolly also with varying exposure - Apple's keynote wasn't particularly clear on this)

- burst (or at least with the same speed)

----------

camera quality seems really great. close to DSLR

Lolz... check out the noise and the oversharpening halos in Apple's official shots:

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/5225148710/sample-images-iphone-5s

Yes, significant noise in all color channels even at base ISO. Unlike with a DSLR, where you may only spot noise (on base ISO) in deep blue skies.

It's a far-far cry away from a DSLR, image quality-wise...

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
the camera improvements look great, but i'm honestly very surprised to see that they stuck with 8 MP for the 3rd generation in a row. i was expecting at least 10 MP but seems cramming a larger sensor in there isn't happening at the moment.

Anything beyond 12mp would be meaningless anyway.

Much better to improve it gradually. If they do go with more mega pixels it would have to improve the quality.

Remember the ultimate camera phone C905 Sony Ericsson Cyershot followed by the satio which took dull, bland over infacted 12mp photos.

For that reason we should be glad Apple stuck to 8mp.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Gunna replace my canon S90 with this!

That's funny, I have the S95, and I was wondering if the iPhone 5S camera spec is advanced enough that it might finally compete with the low light quality of the S95 to S120 line. I seriously doubt it though. I'm actually awaiting reviews of the upcoming S120 to see if it's worth an upgrade. The wifi would make it easy to transfer photos to the iPhone so even if I shoot with my Canon, I can still socially share it on the iPhone without the need for additional accessories.

Since I love instagramming and iPhoneography, the camera upgrade is the selling point for me. I may have to wait till someone does a photo comparison to see if it's really worth the plunge (I have an iPhone 5 now).

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Anything beyond 12mp would be meaningless anyway.

Much better to improve it gradually. If they do go with more mega pixels it would have to improve the quality.

Remember the ultimate camera phone C905 Sony Ericsson Cyershot followed by the satio which took dull, bland over infacted 12mp photos.

While what you state is true in many respects, with the 8 Mpixel vs. 13 Mpixel comparison, not necessarily. Let me point out that the 13 Mpixel GS4 has consistently produced considerably better results than the 8 Mpixel iPhone 5 in every respect:

- noise
- resolution
- DR

Of course, currently, not much is known of the 5S. We've already seen Apple's own images, which, while much better than those of, say, Sony's new "Honami" Z1, are still a long cry away from DSLR quality. I really hope there's a significant quality increase and now the 5S can match the GS4 at least in the noise / DR dept. (I'm afraid it won't match in the resolution dept.)

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Who cares about all of this? If I want to be shooting movies or putting together photo albums, I'll get a videocam or SLR.

the best camera is the one you have with you.

I shoot a lot with my SLR, but most times I'm just out with friends i'm not gonna lug it around, but I will have my phone with me and if it captures a better photo than all the better

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
See this is where Apple shines. For all the hate I see in these forums Apple will continue to do very well because they release products that are consistent, appeal to the masses, and are reliable. I am underwhelmed by today as far as huge gimmicks go, but that's when I stop and realize I don't want gimmicks. I want to pick up my phone and have it shine in the categories of typical use. After having a 4s, GSIII, HTC One, and now iPhone 5 I am "educatedly" convinced Apple makes the best phone and will continue to do so.

Keep it up Apple, way to not try releasing crap like Galaxy Gear just cause the market clamors for useless devices.

Braggadocious Apple Products Here

You hate others yet post about others hating. The butthurt is strong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.