Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:25 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook Sends Email Highlighting iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iOS 7 to Employees

After announcing the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c this morning, Tim Cook sent an email about the new products to Apple employees, reports 9to5Mac.

The email focuses primarily on the new features coming with iOS 7, and details some of the components of the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c. iOS 7 has been engineered with "deep integration" for both of Apple's upcoming phones.

Quote:
Team:

Today is an important day for Apple. Many of you and your coworkers have been hard at work developing the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, which are the result of incredible collaboration between hardware and software which only Apple can deliver. In the weeks and months to come, especially as we approach the holidays, our Retail teams will help millions of customers experience these amazing products for the first time. We are also thrilled to be launching iOS 7 next Wednesday.

In addition to the stunning new user interface you saw previewed at WWDC, iOS 7 has been engineered with deep integration with both iPhone 5s and 5c including advanced 64-bit technologies in iPhone 5s. iOS 7 will ship with iTunes Radio, our free Internet radio service, and we are making our mobile iLife and iWork apps available as free downloads for anyone who buys a new iOS device so they can do amazing things with their photos, videos, documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

We made these announcements in Town Hall here in Cupertino this morning. It is a small venue which limits our ability to show the keynote live across campus and to other locations as we like to do. The event is now available to stream on apple.com, so I hope you will take time to watch it. We've also posted a Q&A with Greg Joswiak on AppleWeb about the new products and the work behind them. I hope you are as excited about the new iPhone lineup as I am. Our teams do an incredible job taking complex, cutting-edge technology and making it simple for our customers. That's something everyone at Apple can be proud of.
Cook's email clarifies that iWork and iLife will be free only with newly purchased devices and encourages Apple employees to watch the event stream on Apple.com. Cook also notes that the company has posted an internal Q&A with Apple VP of iPod, iPhone, and iOS Worldwide Marketing Greg Joswiak, which includes information about the new products and the manufacturing behind them.

Apple's iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c will be released on September 20, with pre-orders beginning on September 13 for the 5c. iOS 7 is set to be released on September 18.

Update: 9to5Mac posted a copy of the Q&A session with Greg Joswiak, which focuses on innovation at Apple and the features found in Apple's newest iPhones.

Article Link: Tim Cook Sends Email Highlighting iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c and iOS 7 to Employees
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

The iPhone 5C could be one of the best profit generators Apple has ever built. It will be cheap to produce and will fly off the shelves at a record pace. Tim Cook knows how to make money and focus on lowering production cost.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:28 PM   #3
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

These emails go to all the Apple retail employees too?
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4
polymersayb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Cook also notes that the company has posted an internal Q&A with Apple VP of iPod, iPhone, and iOS marketing Greg Joswiak, which includes information about the new products and the manufacturing behind them.
Translation: Will someone pretty please help us get our hands on this?
polymersayb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:29 PM   #5
littyboy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGuy View Post
The iPhone 5C could be one of the best profit generators Apple has ever built. It will be cheap to produce and will fly off the shelves at a record pace. Tim Cook knows how to make money and focus on lowering production cost.
aka the hugest scam
littyboy is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:30 PM   #6
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by littyboy View Post
aka the hugest scam
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"
KylePowers is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:32 PM   #7
tigres
macrumors 68040

There is only a 100.00 price differential between plastic and aluminum.

I see the 5c as holding little value, and the 5s a better buy.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:33 PM   #8
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

There is absolutely zero explanation that would suffice regarding the lack of pre-orders for the 5S. Completely ridiculous. But we'll deal with it. (And I'm still getting one)
jamesryanbell is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Radio
In Time-Out

Any bros in here getting the gold?

And do you lift?
Radio is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:34 PM   #10
hydr
macrumors regular

Why no garageband?! gimme gimme gimme :-)
hydr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Lestdog
macrumors regular

I don't know. How many dudes are going to get gold? Is apple marketing to the hip hop culture?
Lestdog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:42 PM   #12
jvmxtra
macrumors 65816

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the 5c's price.. seriously? ?? Does anyone understand this?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:42 PM   #13
Radio
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestdog View Post
I don't know. How many dudes are going to get gold? Is apple marketing to the hip hop culture?
I thought the $20,000 millionaire

You know those that think that because they own apple products they're elite
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:45 PM   #14
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I'm glad iLife will be free. After paying a couple hundred dollars for a new iOS device and then paying monthly for a contract, the few dollars per app seem really daunting.
AngerDanger is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Macomatic
macrumors newbie

Apple is adrift

What a huge disappointment today's launch was. SJ must be spinning in his grave about how far mighty Apple has fallen.

What would have stunned the market and made customers happy would have been a new iPhone with a 4.7" IGZO screen. Instead we got the same screen wrapped in crayola colored plastic. The door is wide open now for the competition to be the first to launch IGZO because it will be a year before the iPhone 6 comes out. And Apple will be playing catch up instead of leading.

Apple also needs to replace iTunes with something better for moving files into and out of the iPhone. I know people who moved to Android because they were frustrated with iTunes. With Samsung, for instance, you can put files on an SD card and drop it into the phone.

Elvis Costello should have played "Less Than Zero" as this year's Apple theme song.
Macomatic is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:46 PM   #16
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Who else read the email in Cook's voice? The indreeeeeedible.....
appleisking is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:48 PM   #17
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmxtra View Post
I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the 5c's price.. seriously? ?? Does anyone understand this?
Nope. Thought the whole point of a lower cost iPhone would be to increase marketshare in certain markets. Only a $100 price difference in both contract and in prepaid(off contract) isn't going to do that.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:48 PM   #18
aolbites
macrumors newbie

Wait, so I can stream live from my phone, but he can't do it in a "small venue" with only a couple hundred seats and several HD cams running around? Puh-lease.
aolbites is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:49 PM   #19
22mac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGuy View Post
Maybe but he definitely knows how to make a mid range phone for a premium price.
22mac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:49 PM   #20
Danielo
macrumors newbie

Why is there no salutation in the email, but just the rakish "Team:"?

Are employees machines, that receive orders?
Danielo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:51 PM   #21
Ganesha
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmxtra View Post
Apple is using the same 3 slot pricing model it used last year. Only this time instead of demoting the top phone one slot, they got rid of it and replaced with new model.
Ganesha is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:52 PM   #22
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

wow a fingerprint sensor yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:52 PM   #23
Curun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
Nope. Thought the whole point of a lower cost iPhone would be to increase marketshare in certain markets. Only a $100 price difference in both contract and in prepaid(off contract) isn't going to do that.
Who thought this?

Obviously not Apple.
Curun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:53 PM   #24
Michael73
macrumors 6502a

What's up with iWork?

At first it got a lot of prime time exposure getting annual updates and costing $99 if I remember. But it seems like over time it's just sort of faded into the background and now it's just free (to new buyers) and in the cloud. What is the long term play here? Sure it will get those apps into more people's hands but I don't think it will dramatically increase their usage or encourage people who need MS Office to give it up.
2TB TC, 64GB iPad / 5S / 4S, Drobo 5D, 3 x TV
Michael73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:54 PM   #25
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22mac View Post
Maybe but he definitely knows how to make a mid range phone for a premium price.
Don't worry it will still sell in record numbers because 1) it's an iPhone and 2) it's all new.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion