Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It appears that Apple may be planning to discontinue the Cards app that it first released for iOS in 2011. Opening the app with devices running both iOS 6 and iOS 7 results in the following message: "The Cards service is no longer available."

The Apple.com page for the app has also been removed, now redirecting to iPhoto '11 for the Mac.

cards.jpg
Cards, which initially debuted alongside the iPhone 4S, was designed to be an iOS version of the greeting card creation service found within iPhoto '11. The app allowed users to create a card, which was then printed, mailed, and sent directly to the recipient by Apple. Cards sent within the U.S. were priced at $2.99, while cards sent elsewhere were priced at $4.99. postage included.

While it is unclear whether or not the app will be revived with an iOS 7 update, the wording indicates that it will be quietly pulled from the App Store. Currently, while new cards cannot be created or sent, old cards can be viewed.

Cards, which is free, is still available for download in the App Store for the time being. [Direct Link]

Thanks, Jesper!

Update: An Apple support document confirms that the Cards app will be discontinued on September 10, 2013.

Article Link: Apple's 'Cards' App Appears to Be Discontinued [Update: Confirmed By Apple]

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Well, I used this all the time, and the cards were always gorgeous.

Can anyone recommend a similar service?

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I used it once. Took 6 days to arrive! Moonpig in the uk is more customsible albeit not as subtle or elegant but has next day delivery if you buy before 3pm

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I always meant to try it out, but always forgot it existed and by the time I actually remembered it was there, I had already bought a card at the store.
That's too bad. I got a card once from a friend and the quality was excellent. From then on that's all I bought if I was buying cards. So easy to make, beautiful, and cheaper than a Hallmark card.

I'll definitely miss this one.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
This is one of the things I detest about Apple, and Google & friends. They create things like this and then discontinue them. In this particular case perhaps it is not such a big deal but when they discontinued support for PPC, Rosetta, MacOSClassic they destroyed a lot of really good software for education, small business, etc.

mbrezina

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
The Ink Cards app from Sincerely is a great alternative

dozens of new card designs launched every month
the cards are beautiful and delivered quickly
ability to edit photos, add stickers, filters, etc
high reviewed app
http://www.sincerely.com/ink

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Apple is just cleaning out the junk they added over the past few years, like Ping. I wonder what service they'll drop next?

They didn't really drop the service, as I've now realized with the article update, you can just make them with iPhoto. I'll miss the push notifications though.

My guess is since iPhoto for iOS is now free (for new iOS devices anyway) the next major update will include cards support. Maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.