Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I just purchased a Nikon d7100 for photography class. My teacher has the class shooting in jpeg+ RAW. My problem begins with connecting my nikon to my MacBook. I plug my micro USB into my camera > plug USB into MacBook > turn camera "ON". I can't seem to find my Nikon as mounted (like a flash drive, external HDD, or my Sanyo Xacti do). BUT when I open iPhoto, low and behold, my Nikon appears in iPhoto. Thoughts on why my camera is not mounting to the desktop like my flash drive and HDD do?

Second problem is when I "import all." Mind you I shot in Jpeg and RAW formats. Meaning, when I shot 45 pictures today, I should be uploading 90 photos when I import all. But it doesn't... All 45 RAW files are not accepted/recognized by iPhoto and/or my MacBook. So as of now, all I have are my 45 jpeg photos on my flash drive to take to class... Thoughts/ suggestions?

Yesterday I uploaded a hundred photos (only the Jpegs were accepted) and I deleted all the photos on my camera, so I lost all the RAW formatted photos. Lesson learned. This time, however, until I find out why the RAWs are not transferring to my laptop, I am not clearing my SD card in the camera. I do need to clear it ASAP because I have a video shoot tomorrow evening, and I need all the space I can have.

Thanks for any and all would-be help!

Regards,
B.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Tried Finder > Go > Applications (CMD+SHIFT+A) > Image Capture yet?

And when handling RAW (.NEF) files, it is better to use Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture (though a bit out of date as of some years now).

Do you know, why you have to shoot both JPEG and RAW? It is a waste of storage space and as a RAW contains much more information, it can be easily converted to a JPEG if one needs to.

PS: Have you already installed the Digital Camera Update 4.06 from Apple (Mac OS X 10.7.5 or OS X 10.8.2 are required for this) to get iPhoto and Aperture compatibility for your camera?

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Tried Finder > Go > Applications (CMD+SHIFT+A) > Image Capture yet?

And when handling RAW (.NEF) files, it is better to use Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture (though a bit out of date as of some years now).

Do you know, why you have to shoot both JPEG and RAW? It is a waste of storage space and as a RAW contains much more information, it can be easily converted to a JPEG if one needs to.

PS: Have you already installed the Digital Camera Update 4.06 from Apple (Mac OS X 10.7.5 or OS X 10.8.2 are required for this) to get iPhoto and Aperture compatibility for your camera?

I'm not sure why she wants both, but I have no idea why my MacBook isn't downloading the RAW... I'm running snow leopard 10.6.X on an '08 MacBook with an intel core 2 duo, by the way.

I know at school we have high-powered iMacs with Lightroom, Ps, and Aperture. I assume the teacher wants us to utilize RAW when editing with said programs, but yeah, no idea why I need to capture RAW and JPEG...

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm not sure why she wants both, but I have no idea why my MacBook isn't downloading the RAW... I'm running snow leopard 10.6.X on an '08 MacBook with an intel core 2 duo, by the way.

I know at school we have high-powered iMacs with Lightroom, Ps, and Aperture. I assume the teacher wants us to utilize RAW when editing with said programs, but yeah, no idea why I need to capture RAW and JPEG...

As you still run good, old Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, the camera is not really compatible, or at least the RAW files, as the update I mentioned, only works on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Anyway, as Image Capture should not care, you can still transfer the .NEF files anyway, if not, get an SD card reader and copy it via Finder.

Canon and Nikon cameras are known to have their issues showing up as external storage device, meaning, it is disabled somehow, forcing the user to either use Nikon's or Canon's software or use third party applications like Lightroom or iPhoto or Image Capture.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
As you still run good, old Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, the camera is not really compatible, or at least the RAW files, as the update I mentioned, only works on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Anyway, as Image Capture should not care, you can still transfer the .NEF files anyway, if not, get an SD card reader and copy it via Finder.

Canon and Nikon cameras are known to have their issues showing up as external storage device, meaning, it is disabled somehow, forcing the user to either use Nikon's or Canon's software or use third party applications like Lightroom or iPhoto or Image Capture.
I understand now. I was looking for a simple drag mounted files from Nikon folder to designated external drive. Guess I'll have to take the convoluted route. Lol. Thanks for the input, Sim.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
If your camera doesn't have an SD card reader, you should buy one. Then just copy the files onto the laptop from the card reader. Don't use the camera for transfer.

It also seems like your SD cards are not high enough capacity. You should be using an 8-16 GB card with that 7100. You should be able to find a Sandisk Extreme 16 GB card for $20 or less.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
If your camera doesn't have an SD card reader, you should buy one. Then just copy the files onto the laptop from the card reader. Don't use the camera for transfer.

It also seems like your SD cards are not high enough capacity. You should be using an 8-16 GB card with that 7100. You should be able to find a Sandisk Extreme 16 GB card for $20 or less.
I am using two 32 GB SanDisk Extreme cards that are 95mb/s read/write.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Sorry. I missed the video reference in your initial post.
It's all good, no harm, no foul. Thanks for the input, any how.

I talked to my teacher today, and she told me to pick up a card reader. I'll head to the store after class tonight and buy an SD reader. At school the computer labs have Gear Head readers, any insight/preferences one could suggest for a quality, cost-effective SD reader?

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
It's all good, no harm, no foul. Thanks for the input, any how.

I talked to my teacher today, and she told me to pick up a card reader. I'll head to the store after class tonight and buy an SD reader. At school the computer labs have Gear Head readers, any insight/preferences one could suggest for a quality, cost-effective SD reader?
Honestly, it doesn't matter much these days, unless it's a horribly bad knockoff.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Here's a story to make you laugh. I use an iMac, and because the slot is in the back it's not the best. So I use the USB lead that came with my camera.
Anyway a few weeks back it suddenly stopped working. I went through all the settings in the camera and iPhoto. Searched the boards for answers, nothing.

Anyway started taking the card out to transfer. On one occasion doing this, I noticed a USB lead had been unplugged.

Can you guess which one it was?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
@ TheBeastman13 It's not the camera... It's the computer. If you shoot RAW anything, you computer has to know what to do with it. Image Capture will not work unless you updated either iPhoto or Aperture camera RAW files. If you have Adobe as your editor, you need to do the same.

I'm on a Mac right now and its using OS 10.7.5. But my iPhoto & Lightroom aren't updated. I can't view any D7100 RAW files because my software isn't updated.

You can download Aperture trial version and that might fix the problem. You have to have Aperture 3.4 or later. Or download Nikon Capture NX. Lightroom 5. PS CS6.. A reader won't help because your computer still would need to read RAW files.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

btw DSLR and iPods stopped using mass storage around 2008 and started using flash which is why you do not see it on your desktop. Your camera can only be viewed in an application. This was changed when the Nikon D90 came out. And also iPod Touch. Before you could see it on your desktop, and move files and from it. This is why I love my iPod classic, it's more of a mass storage drive.

Nov 28, 2010
located
btw DSLR and iPods stopped using mass storage around 2008 and started using flash which is why you do not see it on your desktop. Your camera can only be viewed in an application. This was changed when the Nikon D90 came out. And also iPod Touch. Before you could see it on your desktop, and move files and from it. This is why I love my iPod classic, it's more of a mass storage drive.

DSLRs still use the same storage, nothing has changed that much since 200x, only that the capacity is bigger and it is faster.
Nikon and Canon, and probably those other manufacturers of digital photo machines, have shipped their cameras with "software" to disable the use of the built in card reader/writer as an external volume, thus you are forced to hopefully use their software (which they ship on DVDs, but most often do not offer online - forward thinking times ten) or some other software, thus those card readers can get quite handy some time.

When the iPod touch came out, it was not meant as mass storage like the iPod classic, due to the difference in, you know, capacity, and due to, you know, the complexity.
The iPod classic can run its software from its own ship, it does not need to be stored on the HDD.
The iPod classic has to run its OS and software from the storage device, due to its size and complexity.
Giving users of the iPod touch or iPhone (which came before the iPod touch) to that file system via enabling that device as storage device accessible via Finder, would seriously bring havoc to those devices, as ignorant users might delete the files on there, thinking (or not thinking) they were not important.
Or have you never heard of people, having deleted some DLL files or EXE files or whatever files back in the day, in order to get some KB of more storage?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Go to the camera setup. You will find there are two methods the camera can use to connect to the computer. Only one of them makes the camera look like a Flash drive. That would be called "mass storage". I think Nikon calls the other one "pict bridge" Maybe you prefer "mass storage"

Also the better way to transfer images is just to remove the card from the camera and place it into theSD card slot on most Macs or get a card reader.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
DSLRs still use the same storage, nothing has changed that much since 200x, only that the capacity is bigger and it is faster.
Nikon and Canon, and probably those other manufacturers of digital photo machines, have shipped their cameras with "software" to disable the use of the built in card reader/writer as an external volume, thus you are forced to hopefully use their software (which they ship on DVDs, but most often do not offer online - forward thinking times ten) or some other software, thus those card readers can get quite handy some time.

When the iPod touch came out, it was not meant as mass storage like the iPod classic, due to the difference in, you know, capacity, and due to, you know, the complexity.
The iPod classic can run its software from its own ship, it does not need to be stored on the HDD.
The iPod classic has to run its OS and software from the storage device, due to its size and complexity.
Giving users of the iPod touch or iPhone (which came before the iPod touch) to that file system via enabling that device as storage device accessible via Finder, would seriously bring havoc to those devices, as ignorant users might delete the files on there, thinking (or not thinking) they were not important.
Or have you never heard of people, having deleted some DLL files or EXE files or whatever files back in the day, in order to get some KB of more storage?

Let me clarify what I said. It looks like I put both in the iPods and DSLR in the same sentence. I was answering the OPs question to why he cannot see his DSLR on his desktop. When the D90 was released, Nikon change the USB transfer which is why you cannot see it on the desktop. I'm not sure about the pro cameras, but since the D90 mass storage (FTP or whatever you want to call it) on DSLRs was changed. This causes a problem when you trying to update your firmware. You either have to use a card reader or use a computer with a card reader.

I gave the example of the iPod Touch because the FTP format had changed too. The iPods were changed to Flash storage with the release of the iPod Touch. Both you can no longer view on the desktop like you did with previous models. It's not complex, its flash drive. lol

I use my iPod Classic as a back up hard drive. Its nice to have that option. Back when I purchased it, I could create a folder on it, outside of iTunes and carry it with me. You can use it also to backup your photos on the go.

Sorry you didn't get it. If I had a Nikon Digital SLR I would expect it to behave like the previous. Or any digital camera. Plugging your camera via USB and having control of it without opening an app, nothing wrong with that.

SommerLilja

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
Trouble retrieving my photos.

I hope someone can help me.
I downloaded a bunch of photos from my nikon d3200 to iphoto and it is showing a triangle with an exclamation in the middle. What does that mean?...lol I also bought a card reader and tried downloading my pictures from that and I'm still getting the same problem... I need help!!!!

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I hope someone can help me.
I downloaded a bunch of photos from my nikon d3200 to iphoto and it is showing a triangle with an exclamation in the middle. What does that mean?...lol I also bought a card reader and tried downloading my pictures from that and I'm still getting the same problem... I need help!!!!

Make sure you are importing them into your library rather than adding them. Importing copies them into your library, adding them adds a reference to their current location so when you remove the card it cant find the files any more.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Here's a story to make you laugh. I use an iMac, and because the slot is in the back it's not the best. So I use the USB lead that came with my camera.
Anyway a few weeks back it suddenly stopped working. I went through all the settings in the camera and iPhoto. Searched the boards for answers, nothing.

Anyway started taking the card out to transfer. On one occasion doing this, I noticed a USB lead had been unplugged.

Can you guess which one it was?

Superb! Laughing like a girl here... I have an old iMac with the slot on the side which is much better. Dont know why they changed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.