Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Wow 2ed topic I started in less than a week :rolleyes: ... Anyways it seems that I
1. Entered the wrong password Twice as in the password that controls editing my prefs and stuff.
2. I might have made the password something and then later forgot what it was...
So Besides for Re-Installing how can I get my password or atleast change it to one I know?
I Know there is some long unix command, and If I have to use it I will with directions :-D.
The reason i figured out my pass changed or was not working was when I went to file share I couldn't enter the right pass.
Bah, thanks for any help guys.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
If you had enabled the root password...

(which you can do next time) there is a unix command "passwd -d <username>" which you can use after logging in as root. This clears the password for the specified user and requires it to be put back in again.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
well

GUI is right, that is a simple wat todo it. But if you somehow deleted your utilites folder, yes i have seen people do this before, then the password hirarchy is $*@$ up so aslong as your utilites folder is fine and dandy then do what GUI mentioned

i hope he solved your problem :)

PowerBook g4 1ghz

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Boot from the installer CD, and at the first screen, go to the File menu > Reset Password. Should be self-explanatory from there.
Okay, thanks.
Now lets check if it works..
Originally posted by Steradian
GUI is right, that is a simple wat todo it. But if you somehow deleted your utilites folder, yes i have seen people do this before, then the password hirarchy is $*@$ up so aslong as your utilites folder is fine and dandy then do what GUI mentioned

i hope he solved your problem :)

PowerBook g4 1ghz
Um... first who is GUI. 2ed is, IS THERE A MESSAGE IN THERE CAUSE I CAN'T READ IT. sorry....
And I've never used terminal or whatever before so guidence please.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
huh

ok sorry i was er nevermind.

Ok well in your applications folder thier is a utilites folder, this folder is what holds your ability to get to the terminal, CPU monitor, Print center, etc. It is also the location where your main previliages are saved so when it is deleted the computer reacts as if you had typed in the wrong password when perhaps you enterered it correctly. I hope this made sense the second time around. Sorry GeeYouEye, i didn't realize that people where so offended for give. (No sarcasm)

PowerBook G4 1ghz

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Re: huh

Originally posted by Steradian
Sorry GeeYouEye, i didn't realize that people where so offended for give. (No sarcasm)

Hey, I have no problem with it... hehe... I've been called everything on this board from Gee, to GUI, to Eye (before that person saw the real Eye (eyelikeart)) so no biggie...

Heck, I think I was even called gooey once...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.