Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:21 PM   #1
bunnicula
macrumors 6502a

A rant about the lack of preorders for iPhone 5s

This really isn't about why there are no preorders. Color me indifferent, but I do not care why they decided not to do preorders.

I care that Apple skipped out on them for the 5s entirely.

I refuse to stand in line to buy this phone when I have been a loyal customer who has owned every version of their iPhone product.

It's a slap in the face to the regulars. Like I wanna take a day off (or worse, attempt to get any work done in line) to buy a phone on launch day.

And buy them? I do. 64gb, AppleCare+. Hell. I even figure I'll give their case a try.

I know there are plenty of people here on MacRumors like me. We all represent a steady revenue stream.

And, by refusing preorders, Apple just told everyone that repeat customers just don't matter much.

I'll buy a phone. When I can order one.

I really have zero interest in Android. But, damn. Really, Apple?
bunnicula is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:24 PM   #2
FrankieG889D
macrumors member

I honestly think there won't be a problem just walking in and getting one whenever that day...
FrankieG889D is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:24 PM   #3
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

I'll bet they have manufacturing problems that are keeping the yields down. For a while the 5S might be pretty scarce. Just wait until it's in stock or available to order online. It's not the end of the world.
tardman91 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:28 PM   #4
user-name-here
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula View Post
I refuse to stand in line to buy this phone
Then you are going to get your iPhone later than the rest of us.

If you want it that bad go pay someone to stand in line for you, otherwise you can wait like everyone else.
user-name-here is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:34 PM   #5
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

K. Time to wait.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:35 PM   #6
CAWjr
macrumors 6502

Is waiting a week or two to let the crowds die down going to kill you? Doubt it. If you don't want to wait in line, just wait a few weeks...then walk in & get one with no waiting.
CAWjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:36 PM   #7
bunnicula
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
I'll bet they have manufacturing problems that are keeping the yields down. For a while the 5S might be pretty scarce. Just wait until it's in stock or available to order online. It's not the end of the world.
I agree. As I said, I'll still order one and wait to get it later.

I just find their lack of proper planning kind of ridiculous.

I have enjoyed preorder day for awhile now. Way to kick a fun little tradition in the ass, Apple.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
Is waiting a week or two to let the crowds die down going to kill you? Doubt it. If you don't want to wait in line, just wait a few weeks...then walk in & get one with no waiting.
Nah.

My rant is more about the principle of the matter.
bunnicula is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:38 PM   #8
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816

My only concern for waiting is re-sale value of my present 5. I also have a 64GB with AppleCare+ and most likely will be getting a case as well.
jbachandouris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:38 PM   #9
bunnicula
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
K. Time to wait.
I can wait. That really wasn't my point.

The "I have the latest iPhone" thing kinda lost its luster for me circa 2008.
bunnicula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:39 PM   #10
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I agree. As I said, I'll still order one and wait to get it later.

I just find their lack of proper planning kind of ridiculous.

I have enjoyed preorder day for awhile now. Way to kick a fun little tradition in the ass, Apple.

----------

Nah.

My rant is more about the principle of the matter.
There have been reports that Apple is trying to encourage people to buy phones through their stores. How do you know that you won't be able to waltz into an Apple store on the 20th and pick up whichever model you want? Just wait and see.
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:48 PM   #11
bunnicula
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
My only concern for waiting is re-sale value of my present 5. I also have a 64GB with AppleCare+ and most likely will be getting a case as well.
Yeah. See, this is another consideration.

I usually hand down my iPhones. There are 5 of us here with iPhones.

I got tired of selling them back with the 3GS.

I had considered it with my 5 because my husband has a black 5 in 32gb and none of our kids need a 64gb phone.

Bah.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
There have been reports that Apple is trying to encourage people to buy phones through their stores. How do you know that you won't be able to waltz into an Apple store on the 20th and pick up whichever model you want? Just wait and see.
True true. I may just do that.

I really hate Apple store lines. The only times I've stood in them were for the original iPad and to buy a laptop years ago on a tax holiday.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by user-name-here View Post
Then you are going to get your iPhone later than the rest of us.

If you want it that bad go pay someone to stand in line for you, otherwise you can wait like everyone else.
It isn't a big deal. I had the original on launch day (and didn't even stand in a line), 3G and 3S a few weeks after they launched, and every model since on launch day.

Which is where the whole "treat your loyal customers right" thing came from.

Hell, I had 2 of the iPhone 4. A black, then a white.

Apple does not need to hold me captive in their stores to encourage my loyalty.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieG889D View Post
I honestly think there won't be a problem just walking in and getting one whenever that day...
I would not count on that. It's a wildcard.

----------

I appreciate you all allowing me to vent. Macrumors is full of the best sort of people!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:50 PM   #12
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This really isn't about why there are no preorders. Color me indifferent, but I do not care why they decided not to do preorders.

I care that Apple skipped out on them for the 5s entirely.

I refuse to stand in line to buy this phone when I have been a loyal customer who has owned every version of their iPhone product.

It's a slap in the face to the regulars. Like I wanna take a day off (or worse, attempt to get any work done in line) to buy a phone on launch day.

And buy them? I do. 64gb, AppleCare+. Hell. I even figure I'll give their case a try.

I know there are plenty of people here on MacRumors like me. We all represent a steady revenue stream.

And, by refusing preorders, Apple just told everyone that repeat customers just don't matter much.

I'll buy a phone. When I can order one.

I really have zero interest in Android. But, damn. Really, Apple?
At this point why should Apple give a rip about 'loyal customers'. You're in the bag. You're going to buy this the first week no matter what. Apple has already counted that sale and logged that revenue.

At this point it's about feeding the monster, which means trying to find ways to expand the customer base/revenue pie. To that end new markets/customers are much more coveted than the diehards they know will always buy their latest release.
mantan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:51 PM   #13
gloryunited
macrumors 6502

I feel for you, OP.

Over here in Hong Kong, we have to wait for not weeks but months even, because of the reselling to Mainland China (crazy shortage + crazily rich people there).

Apple gave us the (in)famous lottery thing here that we nicknamed "iDraw". No walk-in purchases on launch day, so no lines. Instead, we have to "reserve" for a purchase ahead of the launch day and those who get lucky will get permission to buy the next day (and 99% of them immediately resell to China anyway).

That's why we, the regulars the repeat customers, hate it too.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:54 PM   #14
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Won't affect me at all.

I'll continue to use my iPhone 4 until Apple brings out something worth owning that is completive with other phones on the market.

Give me an iPhone with a useable screen size and I'm in!

IF I was forced to buy a new phone today it might be a Windows 8 phone because I do not like Android OS.

But so long as my iPhone 4 continues working .... I'll stick with it.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:55 PM   #15
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Right, you don't care why they decided not to do preorders, even if there might be a legit reason because you, loyal Apple user, are entitled to what you want wen you want it. :roll eyes:

The funny thing is that last year when they did have a brief pre-order people were moaning because Apple didn't make enough available. A few years before that they only launched in the U.S.to ensure plenty of pre-order and launch day phones so then the rest of the world got upset. So Apple really can't win here no matter what they do.

If you don't want to waste time in line, don't. I don't blame you. Order online and you'll get it in a week or two. You'll survive. It's a phone. Or just try going in a couple hours before closing on launch day. The lines will probably haved died down by then but probably will have many phones still in stock.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:00 PM   #16
jason2811
macrumors 6502a

Who says you have to leave work or wait in line? Go on the internet and purchase the phone on the 20th online and wait til it's shipped to you.
jason2811 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:49 PM   #17
bunnicula
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
At this point why should Apple give a rip about 'loyal customers'. You're in the bag. You're going to buy this the first week no matter what. Apple has already counted that sale and logged that revenue.

At this point it's about feeding the monster, which means trying to find ways to expand the customer base/revenue pie. To that end new markets/customers are much more coveted than the diehards they know will always buy their latest release.
And... I care about this why?

Don't get me wrong. I do get why they do what they do. But, since I don't work there or own stock? Doesn't make much difference to me.

Yanno, I am just venting. It's not a huge deal.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Right, you don't care why they decided not to do preorders, even if there might be a legit reason because you, loyal Apple user, are entitled to what you want wen you want it. :roll eyes:

The funny thing is that last year when they did have a brief pre-order people were moaning because Apple didn't make enough available. A few years before that they only launched in the U.S.to ensure plenty of pre-order and launch day phones so then the rest of the world got upset. So Apple really can't win here no matter what they do.

If you don't want to waste time in line, don't. I don't blame you. Order online and you'll get it in a week or two. You'll survive. It's a phone. Or just try going in a couple hours before closing on launch day. The lines will probably haved died down by then but probably will have many phones still in stock.
Why can't I find it annoying?

I don't feel entitled to anything. An explanation would be refreshing, though.

If their supply is low? Why not say so?

I don't need a new iPhone. On launch day or any other day.

And, is that not the point?

People with disposable income who will upgrade yearly because they can afford it are not customers worth alienating, when you think about it.

I love many things about Apple. I have zero interest in any Android-based phone. Do they want to encourage people to consider alternatives?

You'd think someone with as much Apple gear as I own would be a huge Apple apologist. I'm not.

I find it irritating. So, I was just griping about it. It's not a huge deal, in the grand scheme.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
Won't affect me at all.

I'll continue to use my iPhone 4 until Apple brings out something worth owning that is completive with other phones on the market.

IF I was forced to buy a new phone today it might be a Windows 8 phone because I do not like Android OS.

Ummm. Ok?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2811 View Post
Who says you have to leave work or wait in line? Go on the internet and purchase the phone on the 20th online and wait til it's shipped to you.
You could be right. I could even try a store later, if I feel like tolerating the mall. That's how I bought the original.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:50 PM   #18
Che Castro
macrumors 601

First world problems
Che Castro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:52 PM   #19
bunnicula
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryunited View Post
I feel for you, OP.

Over here in Hong Kong, we have to wait for not weeks but months even, because of the reselling to Mainland China (crazy shortage + crazily rich people there).

Apple gave us the (in)famous lottery thing here that we nicknamed "iDraw". No walk-in purchases on launch day, so no lines. Instead, we have to "reserve" for a purchase ahead of the launch day and those who get lucky will get permission to buy the next day (and 99% of them immediately resell to China anyway).

That's why we, the regulars the repeat customers, hate it too.
Ugh.

I hope China has better luck and more supply this year.

I'd wait awhile for you all to get your turn with good supply on launch day!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
First world problems
You realize that's just a crappy putdown, don't you? I live in the First World. When I move to Somalia, I'll scribble everyone a note to gripe about my mud hut.
bunnicula is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:07 PM   #20
defboob
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
Won't affect me at all.

You say you want an iPhone with a "usable screen size" yet you continue to use your 3.5" iPhone 4 everyday, seems "usable" to me...
defboob is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:19 PM   #21
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

All I got out of this thread is that you have an unjustified sense of entitlement.

Order online, wait on line, or don't buy it launch day.

Really...
paulbennett95 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:02 AM   #22
bunnicula
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
All I got out of this thread is that you have an unjustified sense of entitlement.

Order online, wait on line, or don't buy it launch day.

Really...
I dunno where you got that from. I just find it annoying. So, I was griping about it.

I'm well aware of my ordering options. Have you not ever found something irritating?

It's not a huge thing, in the grand scheme of things. I know that.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:06 AM   #23
Roadmap
Banned

At least you can get exercise.
Roadmap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:21 AM   #24
karmatourer
macrumors 6502

I disagree for 1 reason-since there are no pre-orders for the 5s this time around,the demand for walk-ins will be bigger than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieG889D View Post
karmatourer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:30 AM   #25
redshadow
macrumors member

This is hardly something to be irritated about. You have a problem and you wanted attention.

Mission accomplished?
redshadow is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone