Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcacd001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
anyone ever tried this ?
Scenario. My 2012 MBA ssd is dead . No applecare, out of warranty. I have access to another 2012 MBA that is currently unused that DOES have applecare. I'd like to switch out my dead ssd and put it into the MBA that has applecare and have them do the work.

anyone ever tried this?

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Sounds like it would work, unless there is a way to track parts labeled to a serial number. I think it's more of a moral issue.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Go for it and report back how it went, we need that information dearly, as no one has asked that question yet and we do not know, where to link to when someone else asks that questions.

Ah, I say "we", but I mean "me". Sorry.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Sure. If you want to be a thief. Amazing what people post on what used to be an excellent tech site.

pcacd001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
oh come on guys! lol it was 1 month out of warranty ONE stinkin month. coulda happened 30 days ago and it wouldve been free!

Taskman

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Hooden
You knew when you bought it that had 1 year warranty and now you are trying fraud and asking if it will work...
Question is why you didn't buy Applecare if you planned on using it for more than 1 year?

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Wait what? :confused: So basically you want to lie or commit a fraud? And you want to see who else has done this. Common now, this is clearly wrong. Not trying to tell you what to do, but this is more of a morality issue.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
If you bought your MacBook Air brand new last year with a credit card, you likely have an additional year of warranty.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Never had to try it but won't get up in arms regarding the morality of it when you consider the company you bought the product from thinks its morally okay to make its products in factories which keep getting in trouble for poor working conditions. Sure, they "investigate" but they don't really end up doing anything considering it has happened more than once. Why not make the products in the USA? Imagine that novel idea. Of course, that would cut into their notoriously huge profit margins and we can't have that...

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
Bad idea

anyone ever tried this ?
Scenario. My 2012 MBA ssd is dead . No applecare, out of warranty. I have access to another 2012 MBA that is currently unused that DOES have applecare. I'd like to switch out my dead ssd and put it into the MBA that has applecare and have them do the work.

anyone ever tried this?

All units have a build sheet with part sn:

Besides it's just flat out wrong.

Justify as you mite......

Amazing

JM

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
you seriously think you're the first person to try this?

They shoot in the serial number/identification number into their system and game over. Everything that's manufactured has an identification number. Even in cases where it's not singular - there's a bulk identification code or batch/lot number.

I still think you should try it though. Would be interesting to see how Apple deals with it though, since they don't produce these items themselves. They might just not give an F- rare, but possible.

Don't take to heart these people screaming 'theft' - they probably listen/watch copyrighted videos on youtube, and/or download pirated content :p

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
IMO, what the OP is contemplating is really not wrong. What is wrong is that there appears to be an issue with the Toshiba SSD and Apple should be addressing that with a warranty extension. Apple has enabled a warranty extension in the past on certain defective components installed in their products, and this should be no exception. I am one of the unlucky ones to have a Toshiba SSD in my 5,1 Air, and really don't appreciate Apple using defective SSDs and not acknowledging that there is an issue.

Lou

pcacd001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
wow ok,so thank you to everyone who helped me out. I have never bought applecare in the past. I am usually very responsible with my apple products. I had a blackmacbook from 2007-2012 and had no REAL issues. I finally decide to upgrade in 2012 to a 1200$+ MBA with a SSD and after *13 months* it goes bad. Literally 3 weeks after the end of warranty. Fortunately a younger sibling had applecare (which was probably infact paid by the same credit card mine own MBA was bought with) and after my medical exam on saturday I might still try this and let you guys know how it goes....

who knows if it doesnt work oh well. and if it does, its just one tiny ssd made from some factory in china by a 12 year old. get over it. there are bigger issues at hand than me trying to save 300$+ on an already expensive computer.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
If its within 30 days after your 1 year warranty expired, most likely they will add AppleCare onto your MacBook if you ask nicely and say that you never got an email reminder. I had mine added on 28 days after and saved me 400 bucks after the price of Applecare.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
beware when you open the Macbooks, you might remove the blue paint they use to make screws harder to remove (and so prove you opened it, potentially voiding the warranty), or you may just destroy the screw and be unable to remove it... I did that when replacing my 2011 MBA's 128GB Toshiba SSD with a second hand 256GB Samsung from eBay. had to go through 4 screwdrivers to open the beast - at some point I even considered Dremel-ing the dead screw out of the Unibody casing - would have been dirty... Then - you can buy authentic blue paint-coated Apple screws on eBay too.
Happy to live in Europe anyway, with the standard 2-year warranty anyway (even though I voided it)...

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
That blue paint is nothing more than light weigh loctite to keep the screws from backing themselves out due to very few threads.
Perfectly fine to open them up, apple needs to prove YOU broke something while in there. This IS case history within the USA.

beware when you open the Macbooks, you might remove the blue paint they use to make screws harder to remove (and so prove you opened it, potentially voiding the warranty), or you may just destroy the screw and be unable to remove it... I did that when replacing my 2011 MBA's 128GB Toshiba SSD with a second hand 256GB Samsung from eBay. had to go through 4 screwdrivers to open the beast - at some point I even considered Dremel-ing the dead screw out of the Unibody casing - would have been dirty... Then - you can buy authentic blue paint-coated Apple screws on eBay too.
Happy to live in Europe anyway, with the standard 2-year warranty anyway (even though I voided it)...

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio

Use a pentlobe screwdriver.

XoFu

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
IMO, what the OP is contemplating is really not wrong. What is wrong is that there appears to be an issue with the Toshiba SSD and Apple should be addressing that with a warranty extension. Apple has enabled a warranty extension in the past on certain defective components installed in their products, and this should be no exception. I am one of the unlucky ones to have a Toshiba SSD in my 5,1 Air, and really don't appreciate Apple using defective SSDs and not acknowledging that there is an issue.

Lou

I understand the frustration of the OP (and yours) with the defective part!
But, in my book two wrongs are just two wrongs! they do not add up to one right!
By the way who is going to be the one with applecare that is going to allow that?
This is also beyond me!
I guess this is just a sign of times!

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
oh come on guys! lol it was 1 month out of warranty ONE stinkin month. coulda happened 30 days ago and it wouldve been free!

If its one month out of warranty bring it in and be honest about it. I've read many times here that there is a reasonable grace period after warranty expires.

Worth the try. Or you can also upgrade

wmitch

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
Odds are they will figure it out and you will end up voiding your friend/siblings warranty too. So not only is this morally gray at best but the risk outweighs the reward.

I vote you ask nicely to purchase apple care on it & hope doing the right thing pays off. if it doesn't, at least you have a clean conscience and your sibling still has a warranty.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
its actions like this that increase the cost of goods sold to everyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.