Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andyrew12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Hello,
I'm currently a student at a German high school and I want to buy a MacBook for this school year.

I want to use the MacBook for developing Mac software, writing LaTeX documents and playing some games like Minecraft and Battlefield 3 or Skyrim via Bootcamp. Because we don't have HDMI or WiFi in our school I would need a Thunderbolt to VGA and a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.

I have a 1650€ budget, and I have access to the educational discount in Germany.

Should I wait until Apple refreshes the rMBP or should I get a 2013 MBA?

Last edited:

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Hello,
I'm currently a student at a German high school and I want to buy a MacBook for this school year.

I want to use the MacBook for developing Mac software, writing LaTeX documents and playing some games like Minecraft and Battlefield 3 or Skyrim via Bootcamp. Because we don't have HDMI or WiFi in our school I would need a Thunderbolt to VGA and a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.

I have a 1650€ budget, and I have access to the educational discount in Germany.

Should I wait until Apple refreshes the rMBP or should I get a 2013 MBA?

For Gaming you should be looking at a minimum of a rMBP 15" or 15" MBP. The Air will not game, and the 13" rMBP will not game either - the integrated Intel GPU just isn't capable I'm afraid.

streetskooler

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
i would def go with the rmbp. I have one and my wife has the 2013 air. Only go with the air if you value portability among all else. If you game a lot then the rmbp is really a no brainer

deskhomeloo

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
yes, Only go with the air if you value portability among all else. If you game a lot then the rmbp is really a no brainer
z8KVFmE

aiyaaabatt

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
Was thinking about the same. I bought the rMBP13.

except the 2013 macbook air beats the current 13'' rMBP in gaming.

You should have gotten the 15'' rMBP if you wanted to game, as the 13'' rmbp won't hardly play games at all.

fotuwe

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
The MBA2013 is - right now - the better choice.

Faster SSD
Longer battery Life
Less weight
Cheaper
Amazing performance

On the rMBP you get... The Display ;)

Andyrew12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
So, I bought myself a refurbished 15" rMBP from 2012.
It should arrive tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.