Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Is there anyone who upgraded to an iPhone 5 with a new 2-year contract when it was released (Sept 2012), and planning on getting the new 5s? If so, what is your strategy for spending the least amount of money possible?

I suppose I'll go first. I have AT&T, and they offer an early "partial discount" upgrade after just 1 year. With this, (I believe) the 5s 16GB is $450 and the 32Gb $550. I can try to sell my current iPhone 5 on eBay for as much as possible, then use this towards the 5s purchase. If I do manage to get $450 for it on eBay (since its still pretty good condition), that will be enough to cover the cost. Only downside is, my contract would be renewed to a new 2-year only after 1 year.

Any other plans or strategies?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Is there anyone who upgraded to an iPhone 5 with a new 2-year contract when it was released (Sept 2012), and planning on getting the new 5s? If so, what is your strategy for spending the least amount of money possible?

I suppose I'll go first. I have AT&T, and they offer an early "partial discount" upgrade after just 1 year. With this, (I believe) the 5s 16GB is $450 and the 32Gb $550. I can try to sell my current iPhone 5 on eBay for as much as possible, then use this towards the 5s purchase. If I do manage to get $450 for it on eBay (since its still pretty good condition), that will be enough to cover the cost. Only downside is, my contract would be renewed to a new 2-year only after 1 year.

I'm thinking about doing the same. I was going to trade my iPhone with Apple's exchange program and pay the rest to get the 5s.

I'm just curious what the price of the 5s will be for partial upgrades. I know you mentioned $450 but I've read conflicting things.

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase

I am in the same boat and this is what I will be doing.. Although I have to wait till Oct 15th which is odd.. I pre-ordered the 5 last year.. I might call att to get that sorted out or just use my 4s for a month..

I'm thinking about doing the same. I was going to trade my iPhone with Apple's exchange program and pay the rest to get the 5s.

I'm just curious what the price of the 5s will be for partial upgrades. I know you mentioned $450 but I've read conflicting things.

It's 449 for the 16 gb 5s. easy to confirm on apple.com eligibility checker

Vegason

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Was going to swap my launch day 5 for the 5s and give my 5 to my wife who still has a blackberry.
Only catch is att shows my upgrade date as Sept 2014 and my wife's as July 2014.
Our plan is pretty much foiled now.
Can the reps in the stores early upgrade you?

macbd

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
I would resell your 5 and buy the 5s at full retail. That way, your contract doesn't start over and then next year you can get the 6 at the fully subsidized price. This strategy seems to work out to be the cheapest if you want to upgrade every year.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I thought if you take an early upgrade with AT&T you can't do it again for at least another 18 months or maybe the full 2 years even, but I don't remember for sure.

iceman027

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
I have AT&T, and they offer an early "partial discount" upgrade after just 1 year. With this, (I believe) the 5s 16GB is $450 and the 32Gb $550.

Does any one know if Verizon has a similar partial discount available upgrade option?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I'm only switching because I'm moving from T-Mobile to Sprint due to the fact that my job offers a nice discount.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I usually upgrade every year regardless if I am disappointed or not. A phone is something I use everyday so I can justify spending money on it. I like the latest and greatest.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I usually upgrade every year regardless if I am disappointed or not. A phone is something I use everyday so I can justify spending money on it. I like the latest and greatest.

Lol...I'm the same way. Had the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4s, 5 and will get the iPhone 5s although I was little disappointed with the 5s. I have to have the latest.

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
Was going to swap my launch day 5 for the 5s and give my 5 to my wife who still has a blackberry.
Only catch is att shows my upgrade date as Sept 2014 and my wife's as July 2014.
Our plan is pretty much foiled now.
Can the reps in the stores early upgrade you?

Your probably still good for a early upgrade. Check apple's website eligibility checker it gives your the dates. mine does not show on att.com either only apple..

let me know what is says.. I still don't get why mine says October 15th rather then September 15th.

Bigdawg4

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
Used my wife's upgrade to get the 5, using my upgrade to get the 5S. She gets my 5 and I sell her 4S on eBay. :D

Exactly what I intend on doing. My wife actually has the 4 still but cares nothing about having the latest IP so Im luck, I upgrade every year and only pay the normal fee. Although I would eventually like to be contract free.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
I would resell your 5 and buy the 5s at full retail. That way, your contract doesn't start over and then next year you can get the 6 at the fully subsidized price. This strategy seems to work out to be the cheapest if you want to upgrade every year.

Also, I may be mistaken, but I thought if you take an early upgrade with AT&T you can't do it again for at least another 18 months or maybe the full 2 years even, but I don't remember for sure.

I thought about doing this as well, but Apple, in the past does not offer the full unlocked versions until a couple of months after, correct?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I thought about doing this as well, but Apple, in the past does not offer the full unlocked versions until a couple of months after, correct?

Maybe in the US this is true. But in Australia on the Apple.au site only unlocked phones are for sale.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Add another line. As long as you're not on the data share plan, it's $10/mo.

So by adding another line would get someone the 5s for an additional $10 per month ( on top of regular monthly charges)?. I thought one had to purchase a data plan when buying an IPHONE ?. If what you're saying is true, I will be doing this for the 6 next fall... Can someone please chime in and explain this a bit further.
Thanks

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY

Not true. If you have an AT&T (or other) account you can do a device only upgrade to get an unlocked phone at Apple or at the AT&T store. No problem. Did it last year.

Also the early upgrade adds $250 to the cost each year if you keep renewing your contract. It's cheaper to pay full price every other year (adds $450). Also you are not constantly locked into a 2 year contract. It's easier to get out.

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
I'd like to upgrade but im not quite sure how I would. I have Verizon and my upgrade isn't until next year so idk what I would do. Could I try and sell the phone on eBay or Craigslist or something and make money for it and buy a full retail Verizon iPhone 5S if they even do that? I don't know.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

Haha this is great! Seriously if you follow this advice, you'll never be kicking yourself for getting a new device. Buy it and be done with it!

Kilo-9

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
So by adding another line would get someone the 5s for an additional $10 per month ( on top of regular monthly charges)?. I thought one had to purchase a data plan when buying an IPHONE ?. If what you're saying is true, I will be doing this for the 6 next fall... Can someone please chime in and explain this a bit further.
Thanks

I did this last year. You purchase the iPhone, subsidized, on the new line, but you activate it on your existing line. You need to have another phone to use on the new line. I didn't have an old phone to use, so I bought a cheap prepaid phone and used that. The rep at the AT&T store did it all for me on release day...it was painless and gives me an available subsidized upgrade each year. It's worth $10/month to me because I like to have the latest version of the iPhone. The AT&T rep told me that they do this "upgrade swap" all the time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.