Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:26 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Disney's 'The Little Mermaid: Second Screen Live' Hitting Theaters with Companion iPad App

Disney has announced The Little Mermaid: Second Screen Live exclusively for theaters, along with an accompanying iPad app to use while viewing the film, reports /Film. The re-release of the popular 1989 film includes special sections that sync with and encourage the use of iPads among audience members to play games, sing along, and interact with the various characters.

Quote:
Bring your iPad to the movie theater and experience special event screenings of "The Little Mermaid" on the big screen like never before! It's "Disney Second Screen Live: The Little Mermaid," where you become part of the story. Interact with Ariel, Sebastian and Flounder. Compete with the audience as you play games, sing-along, and collect hidden treasure. But watch out for Ursula, who just might try to steal your points. It just got better, down where it's wetter, with "Disney Second Screen Live: The Little Mermaid."
Disney and Apple have had a close relationship over the years, with Steve Jobs having taken a seat on Disney's board of directors and become the company's largest individual shareholder when Disney acquired Pixar in 2006. Disney president and CEO Bob Iger joined Apple's board in late 2011 after Jobs' death.

The Little Mermaid: Second Screen Live will be shown in select theaters starting September 20th. Its accompanying app, Second Screen Live: The Little Mermaid is a free download for the iPad and is available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Disney's 'The Little Mermaid: Second Screen Live' Hitting Theaters with Companion iPad App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:30 AM   #2
sransari
macrumors 6502

Ariel is hot
sransari is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:37 AM   #3
davidwarren
macrumors 6502a

This would be cool in your house. Not so much at the movie theater.
davidwarren is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:43 AM   #4
MordechaiCarver
macrumors member

I guess I can see this being OK for kids to keep them occupied, but if this "second screen" is going to be a trend for grown-up movies, then count me out. I mean, do they want us to look at the screen or our iPad? What happens when something's going on in the movie and you miss it because you were looking at something on your iPad? It just takes away the whole submersive element to going to a movie theater and watching a movie. Every time you look away from a movie screen you disassociate yourself from the false reality that the movie is supposed to present.

IMHO this is a sad road to start going down.
MordechaiCarver is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:44 AM   #5
bushido
macrumors 603

omg id be so pissed. its already driving me bonkers when people check their phone with those bright screens at the movies
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6
rshanahan
macrumors regular

Really? I'd be surprised if this does well and this concept actually takes off. I feel for the theater staff for dealing with technical support issues (my app doesn't work, I can't connect to the wireless network, etc.).
16G Nano 4G; 8G Nano 3G; 1G Shuffle 2G (x12)
rshanahan is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:48 AM   #7
gmcalpin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
omg id be so pissed. its already driving me bonkers when people check their phone with those bright screens at the movies
I hate this idea as much as the next movie buff — and by hate, I mean "despise with every fiber of my being," but if you go to a screening specifically billed as a "Second Screen Live" screening and get pissed about it, that's kinda your fault, you know?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:48 AM   #8
ck2875
macrumors 6502

I realize that I'm not the target audience for this, but this seems like a really good way to make me hate the movie theater experience if it were to spread to other films. And if I were to pay $12 or so for a small child to go see a movie as old as The Little Mermaid, I would be really annoyed if they just kept their nose in a companion app the entire time instead of paying attention to the movie.
ck2875 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Baumi
macrumors member

Wtf?

"Hey, you can distract yourself from the movie you paid to watch by playing iPad games instead!"

What a crappy idea.
Baumi is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post
I hate this idea as much as the next movie buff — and by hate, I mean "despise with every fiber of my being," but if you go to a screening specifically billed as a "Second Screen Live" screening and get pissed about it, that's kinda your fault, you know?
Uhm... If you want to see a movie in the theater, you want that.
You've never been asked about this BS.

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:52 AM   #11
lord patton
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
Ariel is hot
I agree, but she's running second to Jasmine:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1283898
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:59 AM   #12
jakebot
macrumors member

People need to chill out lol... this is just like Timeplay that's been going on in Cineplex theatres for a while now. This would be great for this genre of movie and for kids to play along. It's hard enough getting them to sit still for an hour and a half, so this would break it up a bit.

Seems like a pretty interesting idea. Would love to see how it's implemented to interact with the movie.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:02 AM   #13
gmcalpin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassed Silver View Post
Uhm... If you want to see a movie in the theater, you want that.
Perhaps you cannot read, but "uhm…" these are special event screenings specifically for this "Second Screen" nonsense. Anybody who goes into one of these special screenings and complains that there are people using their iPads in these special screenings is an idiot.

You don't want people whipping out their iPads? Don't go to these screenings.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:04 AM   #14
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

I'm assuming everyone above me doesn't have kids?

This is a great idea. My little boy will love this. If they do the same with Toy Story etc it will be a hit.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:10 AM   #15
mightyneek
macrumors newbie

Because their is not enough *******s on phones in theaters already?
mightyneek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:11 AM   #16
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebot View Post
People need to chill out lol... this is just like Timeplay that's been going on in Cineplex theatres for a while now. This would be great for this genre of movie and for kids to play along. It's hard enough getting them to sit still for an hour and a half, so this would break it up a bit.

Seems like a pretty interesting idea. Would love to see how it's implemented to interact with the movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
I'm assuming everyone above me doesn't have kids?

This is a great idea. My little boy will love this. If they do the same with Toy Story etc it will be a hit.
Yeah, it's not going to be something that pops up in random movies, it's a specific showing, of a specific film (that I image will mostly tend toward kids movies), just like most 3D movies, you can choose a 2D showing.

I think creating some interactivity with the movie is a great idea for kids, and obviously, there should still be (and kids should be taught) the correct etiquette for using devices in movies that aren't designed like this. Simple.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:36 AM   #17
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You will see a generation gap on the adoption of this a mile wide. The school age kids and young adults will be all over this. The older crowd conditioned to "sit down and be quite" will hate it. I bet it also does better in Asia than the west.

Reminds me of the introduction of automatic transmissions for passenger cars. The old school hated it while the new school took the technology to put their time for something else.

Also, I see this working out great at homes and cult movie showings. I would LOVE to see this done for The Rocky Horror Picture Show or Army of Darkness. Bruce Campbell would love this. It is also a good audience feedback tool during screenings.
CFreymarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:47 AM   #18
Dagless
macrumors Core

I hope this doesn't catch on with more films. I'm already considering abandoning going to the cinema and just buying the blurays instead.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:36 AM   #19
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

You thought going to a theatre with a bunch of kids was torture before...
ThunderSkunk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:55 AM   #20
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
This would be cool in your house. Not so much at the movie theater.
There are already quite a few second screen Blu-rays including The Avengers. This looks like more of an experiment to me.
Iconoclysm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Perhaps you cannot read, but "uhm…" these are special event screenings specifically for this "Second Screen" nonsense. Anybody who goes into one of these special screenings and complains that there are people using their iPads in these special screenings is an idiot.

You don't want people whipping out their iPads? Don't go to these screenings.
Sorry, didn't get this right away.

Next time try without imitating people though.
Some folks are willing to learn actually. Unheard of I know.

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:57 AM   #22
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

This just made sure that I will not go to see this in the theater. Why? It's bad enough if just one person turns their phone on to send a text, imagine how much ambient light is going to be generated by all of these iPads, ruining the experience for everyone else.

Oh, and to see a movie for only $12???? I wish, ok you can get into a matinee for about that at most theaters here, but definitely not in the evening.
cmwade77 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:25 PM   #23
tk421
macrumors 6502a

From a prominent animation blog:

Here’s A New Version of “The Little Mermaid” For People Who Don’t Want to See The Film
"Audiences are encouarged to ignore the careful plotting of the story, the nuances of the character animation, and the development of the characters’ personalities, and instead play games, answer trivia, solve puzzles, perform sing-a-longs, and compete with other audience members. In fact, they’re asked to pretty much do anything but actually watch The Little Mermaid."
tk421 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:38 PM   #24
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
Ariel is hot
Why couldn't she be the other type of mermaid, with the fish part on top and the lady part on the bottom?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:03 PM   #25
gmcalpin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassed Silver View Post
Next time try without imitating people though.
Some folks are willing to learn actually. Unheard of I know.
Not to imitate you again, but next time, you should try it without the condescending "uhm" yourself. Other people managed to.

When you act like a dick to people, you can't pretend you have any ground to stand on when they act like a dick right back at you.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion